Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

silverharp wrote: »
    Twitter is turning into a global brain , and like any brain you get some randomness in there too
    I'd say over 90% of that brain is unusable!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'd say over 90% of that brain is unusable!

it connects a lot of experts in a way that wasnt practical before, I wouldnt knock it...(too much)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

mikeym wrote: »
    Once the vaccine is brought in the better.

Vitamins are good for you but its not going to stop the virus getting to someone who has a weak immune system.

I'd rather take vitamins than a vaccine that has been rushed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

it connects a lot of experts in a way that wasnt practical before, I wouldnt knock it...(too much)
    That's happening anyway elsewhere. Format is unsuitable for real communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Depends how they achieved a weak immune system. If it is chips and bread for dinner, and Mars and tayto washed down with Ribena for lunch, then there are quicker ways to avoid a poor outcome from a respiratory illness.

I agree that people out there eat chips everyday washed down with a can of coke/glass of ribena.

But there are people who have cancer and other serious issues that vitamins would cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mikeym wrote: »
    I agree that people out there eat chips everyday washed down with a can of coke/glass of ribena.

But there are people who have cancer and other serious issues that vitamins would cure.

Which vitamins cure cancer?

Not your ornery onager

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Dr. Rhonda Patrick Goes In Depth on the Benefits of Vitamin D

A quick Google shows severe vitamin D deficiency in Kawasaki disease (disease affecting kids).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Dr. Rhonda Patrick Goes In Depth on the Benefits of Vitamin D

That whole recent Podcast with her is a worthy listen. She's great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have MS and vit D is recommended. From various sites 5000 iu is what my daily intake should be.
    Since covid19 all the vitD is sold out. Good job it's coming into summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058578v3

(STUDY FINDS) -- EVANSTON, Ill. — A new study conducted at Northwestern University concludes that vitamin D may be an essential ingredient to protecting oneself from the coronavirus. The research team discovered a strong correlation between vitamin D deficiencies and mortality rates.

According to the study, the lower the vitamin D levels present in a patient’s body, the more likely that person will develop severe symptoms and complications.

Don't mind your facemasks, throw on the birthday suits and smother yourself in good old Sunshine.

That's well known from existing clinical research. Low vitamin D levels indicate you will usually die younger. Unfortunately taking vitamin D supplements doesn't seem to make any difference. Low vitamin D levels are mostly an indicator of poor health not caused by low vitamin D levels. Symptom not cause. Researching 'vitamin D' and 'disease of choice'...pop out a paper. Easy peasy. 99% of those papers cannot be reproduced.

That said it may be beneficial to try and maintain them above low levels by exposing yourself to some sunshine regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cj maxx wrote: »
    I have MS and vit D is recommended. From various sites 5000 iu is what my daily intake should be.
    Since covid19 all the vitD is sold out. Good job it's coming into summer :)

I take vitamin D for an unrelated health issue but as of Saturday no problem getting any.

A quick Google shows severe vitamin D deficiency in Kawasaki disease (disease affecting kids).

A quick google of 'insert any disease' and 'vitamin D' will show correlation.

Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

maninasia wrote: »
    That's well known from existing clinical research. Low vitamin D levels indicate you will usually die younger. Unfortunately taking vitamin D supplements doesn't seem to make any difference. Low vitamin D levels are mostly an indicator of poor health not caused by low vitamin D levels. Symptom not cause. Researching 'vitamin D' and 'disease of choice'...pop out a paper. Easy peasy. 99% of those papers cannot be reproduced.

That said it may be beneficial to try and maintain them above low levels by exposing yourself to some sunshine regularly.

Lots of assertions there. I suppose you can provide evidence.
    I've no health issues that would lead to a deficiency but I had one due to an indoor job and lifestyle.

We don't get enough sun in Ireland due to our latitude, we need a supplement but not all vit d i good quality and not all carriers are effective for a person.

w
    Lots of assertions there. I suppose you can provide evidence.
    I've no health issues that would lead to a deficiency but I had one due to an indoor job and lifestyle.

We don't get enough sun in Ireland due to our latitude, we need a supplement but not all vit d i good quality and not all carriers are effective for a person.

Well it's kind of my job to follow the research on vitamin D and supplementation....so yeah I can back it up. Multiple large scale trials across the world have failed to support supplementation being an effective treatment (either D2, D3 or both).

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/no-evidence-vitamin-d-supplements-improve-bone-health-major-analysis-finds/20205553.article

Our meta-analysis finds that vitamin D does not prevent fractures, falls or improve bone mineral density, whether at high or low dose. Clinical guidelines should be changed to reflect these findings,” said Bolland.

“On the strength of existing evidence, we believe there is little justification for more trials of vitamin D supplements looking at musculoskeletal outcomes.”

And this one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30415629?dopt=Abstract

We conducted a nationwide, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, with a two-by-two factorial design, of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) at a dose of 2000 IU per day and marine n-3 (also called omega-3) fatty acids at a dose of 1 g per day for the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease among men 50 years of age or older and women 55 years of age or older in the United States. Primary end points were invasive cancer of any type and major cardiovascular events (a composite of myocardial infarction, stroke, or death from cardiovascular causes). Secondary end points included site-specific cancers, death from cancer, and additional cardiovascular events. This article reports the results of the comparison of vitamin D with placebo.

CONCLUSIONS:
    Supplementation with vitamin D did not result in a lower incidence of invasive cancer or cardiovascular events than placebo. (Funded by the National Institutes of Health and others; VITAL ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01169259 .).

My advice is get out in the sun , expose your skin to the sun for 20 mins a day...

There's a reply somewhere in this thread (can't find it) that overuse of Vitamin D leads to kidney stones. As someone who's passed one before and it was excruciating this is something I'm keeping in mind with dosage

Ideally I'd go to my GP for a blood test to see where my D levels actually are, but there's no way I'm going to sit in a GP's waiting room in these times for something that's non essential. Both GP waiting rooms and hospitals will be high risk for Covid

So that said, as much as I want to up to 5,000 dosage daily, I think I'll have to stick to my current one of 1,000

When it feels a bit safer I'm definitely getting a Vitamin D blood test to see where my natural levels of it actually are

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

maninasia wrote: »
    w

Well it's kind of my job to follow the research on vitamin D and supplementation....so yeah I can back it up. Multiple large scale trials across the world have failed to support supplementation being an effective treatment (either D2, D3 or both).

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/no-evidence-vitamin-d-supplements-improve-bone-health-major-analysis-finds/20205553.article

Our meta-analysis finds that vitamin D does not prevent fractures, falls or improve bone mineral density, whether at high or low dose. Clinical guidelines should be changed to reflect these findings,” said Bolland.

“On the strength of existing evidence, we believe there is little justification for more trials of vitamin D supplements looking at musculoskeletal outcomes.”

And this one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30415629?dopt=Abstract

We conducted a nationwide, randomized, placebo-controlled trial, with a two-by-two factorial design, of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) at a dose of 2000 IU per day and marine n-3 (also called omega-3) fatty acids at a dose of 1 g per day for the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease among men 50 years of age or older and women 55 years of age or older in the United States. Primary end points were invasive cancer of any type and major cardiovascular events (a composite of myocardial infarction, stroke, or death from cardiovascular causes). Secondary end points included site-specific cancers, death from cancer, and additional cardiovascular events. This article reports the results of the comparison of vitamin D with placebo.

CONCLUSIONS:
    Supplementation with vitamin D did not result in a lower incidence of invasive cancer or cardiovascular events than placebo. (Funded by the National Institutes of Health and others; VITAL ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01169259 .).

My advice is get out in the sun , expose your skin to the sun for 20 mins a day...

I don't know anything about research but my vitamin D was very low and after taking the supplement my vitamin D increased and I feel much better. When you have a very low vitamin D level you feel like dying. Do you have a low vitamin D level?How did you increase it during the winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    There's a reply somewhere in this thread (can't find it) that overuse of Vitamin D leads to kidney stones. As someone who's passed one before and it was excruciating this is something I'm keeping in mind with dosage

Ideally I'd go to my GP for a blood test to see where my D levels actually are, but there's no way I'm going to sit in a GP's waiting room in these times for something that's non essential. Both GP waiting rooms and hospitals will be high risk for Covid

So that said, as much as I want to up to 5,000 dosage daily, I think I'll have to stick to my current one of 1,000

When it feels a bit safer I'm definitely getting a Vitamin D blood test to see where my natural levels of it actually are

Use my clinic or similar

https://www.myclinic.ie/blood-testing/energy-profile

• Advertisement

Has anyone got links to good 2,000 strength capsules? I'm sticking to 1,000 but I'm going to get the parents 2,000

No Ebay links. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Has anyone got links to good 2,000 strength capsules? I'm sticking to 1,000 but I'm going to get the parents 2,000

No Ebay links. Thanks

This Vitamin D is great, No fillers or binders in the capsules and when you buy the Vitamin D you get a vitamin c free.

https://healthmatters.ie/product/viridian-vitamin-d3-2000iu-60-capsules-with-free-ester-c-550mg-30-capsules/

For the week that's in it weather wise: Is sunshine on your face/body after 1pm really useless for Vitamin D?

Surely some sunshine for this is better than none

For the week that's in it weather wise: Is sunshine on your face/body after 1pm really useless for Vitamin D?

check out dminder app. I was outside after 1pm today, entered the time I was out, the cloud coverage and how much skin exposed and according to the app, I got some vitamin D from being outside.

whats significant about 1PM? currently 11:15-3.30PM is the time of day when the Sun at the right height to make Vit D, 10 to 20 minutes a few times a week is plenty

check out dminder app

I installed it but finding it a bit finicky

I'll keep at it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

have people started smoking yet to stave off infection or has that also died a death

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Midday is when the earth is closest to the sun but that is not the time when the sun hitting the earth is at its hottest.

That is 3-4 hours later as it takes that long for the sun to hit the earth. Hence it is warmer at 4-5pm than 12pm.

Ok you do not need the hottest time to benefit from sun exposure.

Midday is when the earth is closest to the sun but that is not the time when the sun hitting the earth is at its hottest.

That is 3-4 hours later as it takes that long for the sun to hit the earth. Hence it is warmer at 4-5pm than 12pm.

Ok you do not need the hottest time to benefit from sun exposure.

That would be better expressed as the angle of the Earth to the Sun, to make Vit D the Sun needs to be at an angle of 50 degrees or more which today in Ireland is 11.14AM to 3.30PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

That would be better expressed as the angle of the Earth to the Sun, to make Vit D the Sun needs to be at an angle of 50 degrees or more which today in Ireland is 11.14AM to 3.30PM

Reallly? So not all sunshine is equal when it comes to the body's ability to make Vit D?

Advertisement