Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Reallly? So not all sunshine is equal when it comes to the body's ability to make Vit D?

thats it, when the Sun is low in the Horizon the UVB rays get filtered out by the atmosphere as it has more to go through. In general terms you cant get Vit D in Ireland from Mid Sep to Mid April at all on top of the time of day

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Some news around lately about Vitamin D now been used in hospital treatments

I'm taking 2,000 IUs of it a day in one tiny tablet and it's the Vitabiotics brand. I don't really want to push past the dosage of 2000 IUs for now as you can do some damage to kidneys etc with Vitamin D if you overdo it

What dosage are you taking and what brand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I'm taking 2,000 IUs of it a day in one tiny tablet and it's the Vitabiotics brand. I don't really want to push past the dosage of 2000 IUs for now as you can do some damage to kidneys etc with Vitamin D if you overdo it

I'm taking 1000IU and it's solgar brand. Been taking it since april, along with some summer sun but staying smart outside and not getting burnt .

Going to check my vitamin D levels though, there's a kit online, you take some blood from a finger prick and send it off in a pre-paid envelope to their lab and they'll check your vitamin D levels. This is more for peace of mind though. I don't want to be bothering the GP, so I'll get my levels checked like this.

The video I watched said that a person is less likely to end up in ICU. What about vitamin D levels and being hospitalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm using one that is manufactured by a company called Rottapharm and distributed by Mylan.
    Like you it is a 2000IU, a very small tablet.
    I don't take one everyday, I'd say around 3-4 week. But I have adjusted my diet to include foods that are rich in vitamin D, so this becomes a real supplement.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So all the hours I've spent in the sun building up the tan over the summer have not been wasted!

• Advertisement

Vitamin D can help reduce coronavirus risk by 54%: Boston University doctor

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09/17/vitamin-d-can-help-reduce-coronavirus-risk-by-54-boston-university-doctor/
    Stop waiting for a miracle drug: A Boston University doctor says a sufficient amount of vitamin D can cut the risk of catching coronavirus by 54%.

“People have been looking for the magic drug or waiting for the vaccine and not looking for something this simple,” said Dr. Michael Holick, professor of medicine, physiology and biophysics at Boston University School of Medicine.
    Holick and his colleagues studied blood samples from Quest Diagnostics of more than 190,000 Americans from all 50 states and found that those who had deficient levels of vitamin D had 54% higher COVID positivity compared to those with adequate levels of vitamin D in the blood.

The risk of getting coronavirus continued to decline as vitamin D levels increased, the study, published in the Public Library of Science One peer-reviewed journal shows.

“The higher your vitamin D status, lower was your risk,” Holick said.
    Many people are vitamin D-deficient because there are only small amounts in food, Holick said. Most vitamin D comes from sun exposure and many are deprived, especially during winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It may not be as high as 54 % but it certainly seams to help - and nothing, nothing, in the mainstream media about it.
    I know from visting nursing homes that patients do not receive any real sunshine, many living in very stuffy environment , wonder are the getting Vitaim D suplements ?
    Wonder also are hostitals giving patients Vitamin D supplements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

60 feckin' thousand?

That would mean taking 12 tablets a day of the very strong linked Ebay ons in this thread https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vitamin-D-D3-5000IU-Cholecalciferol-in-Olive-Oil-180-365-Softgels-NaturPlus/202334317039?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=503040626553&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would however watch your kidneys with any supplement like this. I'm just taking one 1,000 strength a day at the moment. I think - until I get my Vit D levels properly tested - I'll up it to only 2,000 strength
    I have psoriasis and in one study people were taking 35,000 per day for it and had good results, at lower/regular amount amounts they did not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3897595/
    In summary, the present study suggests that, at least for patients with autoimmune disorders like vitiligo and psoriasis, a daily dose of 35,000 IU of vitamin D is a safe and effective therapeutic approach for reducing disease activity. Dietary calcium limited by avoiding dairy products and calcium-enriched foods – like oat, rice or soya “milk” and minimum hydration (2.5 L daily) ensures safety. Further research should investigate whether the magnitude of PTH reduction may be a valuable marker for the individual setting of maximal daily doses of vitamin D in autoimmune diseases.

I have a narrowband UVB light to treat my skin in localised areas. Some sunbeds now have "vitamin d" bulbs which would have a higher output of light in the preferred range.

I don't know about here but in some places old folks homes will have lighting which emits UVB to simulate sunlight.
    In Ireland people drink beer..you know is a fermented beverage?
    Soda bread is made with buttermilk which is fermented.
    In every tradition there are fermented food that used to keep the gut healthy. Now people eat less and less this type of food and commercially food and drinks don't have the benefit of the ones home made.
    Most people drink commercial filtered and pasteurised beer, any beneficial organisms are dead. Same goes for the sodabread, the cultures are killed by heat. Many yogurts are heat treated so the potential probiotic effect is gone, same goes for many commercial sauerkrauts. Sauerkraut has been selling out in the US as people are buying it for covid. I saw mention of countries which eat live fermented products having lower cases.

My skin has improved hugely since lockdown and I put it down to sauerkraut, which I had added to a long list of other things I was already trying.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/17/heres-why-sauerkraut-and-kimchi-sales-are-surging-thanks-to-coronavirus/
    Sauerkraut sales surged 960 percent year-over-year in the week of March 29 while overall grocery sales rose just 62.5 percent, according to e-commerce data from software firm Bloomreach.

Kimchi sales, meanwhile, have jumped as much as 952 percent in the week of Feb. 16, the figures show.

Experts say people are turning to the acidic dishes to protect themselves against the still-mysterious COVID-19 bug — even though there’s no evidence they will prevent or cure the disease.

I need to change the type of vitamin I take. I looked up vitamins last year and the best type to take is vitamin in liquid form. You absorb over 90% of vitamins if it's in liquid form. Whereas, if it's in tablet form, it's something like 30% absorption.

My favourite is source of life liquid but very expensive. It's been a while since I've taken it but I need to check how much vitamin D is in it. What's money if it's for your health.

Edit: 1000iu in this liquid multivitamin along with other vitamins. That's not bad, is it?

• Advertisement

If insufficient vitamin D was a factor in contracting covid, then surely countries with people who have low vitamin D should be high in covid?

And yet they are not, Norway & Finland have low cases of covid, & their citizens suffer from low vitamin D.

bubblypop wrote: »
    If insufficient vitamin D was a factor in contracting covid, then surely countries with people who have low vitamin D should be high in covid?

Countless studies, linked in this thread already, show that Vitamin D makes a difference

Countless studies, linked in this thread already, show that Vitamin D makes a difference

But the fact that countries were people are deficient in vitamin D, are low in covid, shows otherwise.
    Maybe you should check for studies that show vitamin D make no difference?

Maybe you should check for studies that show vitamin D make no difference?

Maybe you should and link them here to support your points

Even hospitals are using Vitamin D as part of their treatments now. Are they wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

well I know everyone is different at absorbing, but aprox aprill 2 years ago my level was under 10.
    Now up to 55. yipee
    At the very low level I was getting too many chest infections etc
    Now I get checked about every 6month.
    Hse have rules on who should be tested... I had asked before to no avail. The Hse think everyone has low levels here, but they forget that some people may have even lower levels and not be older.
    Hopefully this will change and the same with vit B12 levels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Chatted to my mate last week re covid and he laughed and said make sure you take plenty of vit d which i do but cant drink orange juice as it gives me the runs.Might have to recheck max dosage to take a day but also got a sauna i can use to help rid body of toxins.

Maybe you should and link them here to support your points

Even hospitals are using Vitamin D as part of their treatments now. Are they wrong too?

Probably just treating patients with low levels of vit D as a side treatment.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Chatted to my mate last week re covid and he laughed and said make sure you take plenty of vit d which i do but cant drink orange juice as it gives me the runs.Might have to recheck max dosage to take a day but also got a sauna i can use to help rid body of toxins.

Orange Juice as something that's good for you is a myth, its full of sugar

Google "Vitamin C foods and vitamin D foods", there are much better options

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

bubblypop wrote:

bubblypop wrote:
    And yet they are not, Norway & Finland have low cases of covid, & their citizens suffer from low vitamin D.

Tbh, that's a non argument at this point in time (as far as I'm concerned). COVID-19 only became prevalent here in Europe after the equinox so the days up north have been mostly longer than here since then. Lower energy from the sun but much longer days. Winter may tell a different tale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Well they'd be fine from April to September getting it from the sun and unlike us they eat plenty of oily fish which is the main dietary source of the vitamin, many of them also take the supplement in the winter.

Orange Juice as something that's good for you is a myth, its full of sugar

Google "Vitamin C foods and vitamin D foods", there are much better options

I liked orange juice for the taste and clearing my mouth,my local shop Robbies has everything and more and has expanded 3 times in 2 years with the very best of produce and craic.You name it and they probably have it.:D Big chefs have sourced their fresh produce there daily until covid :mad::mad:

https://www.facebook.com/RobbiesGreengrocer/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A spray in the morning and evening of Dlux 1000 from H + B will do me. September to end April.

speckle wrote: »
    well I know everyone is different at absorbing, but aprox aprill 2 years ago my level was under 10.
    Now up to 55. yipee
    At the very low level I was getting too many chest infections etc
    Now I get checked about every 6month.
    Hse have rules on who should be tested... I had asked before to no avail. The Hse think everyone has low levels here, but they forget that some people may have even lower levels and not be older.
    Hopefully this will change and the same with vit B12 levels

Can I ask you when you were low in vitamin D, were you supplementing?

I got my home test to check for my vitamin d levels during the week. I need to take a finger prick of blood and send it off. I'm waiting until Monday because it gets sent off through the post.

A spray in the morning and evening of Dlux 1000 from H + B will do me. September to end April.

Do you find it staves of the Winter Blues too? Or is that just Vitamin D3 I'm thinking of?

I think this part of Vitamin D (that it helps with Winter Blues) is largely the placebo effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

That's what I do, been making a point of taking advantage of the sun all summer, 15 to 20 minutes three or four times a week, with a spray on the duller periods. I do eat a bit of oily fish but no where near enough to see me through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Do you find it staves of the Winter Blues too? Or is that just Vitamin D3 I'm thinking of?

I think this part of Vitamin D (that it helps with Winter Blues) is largely the placebo effect

Its Vitamin D3 that seams to help with Covid , but its called Vitamin D , (a little confusing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

They however love an aul slug of the cod liver oil. Couple of big spoons down the hatch, no bother. Krill and Mackrel for brekkie, why not.

Along with berries galore and those Chestnut mushrooms (ideally supercharged 1hr before cooking), jumping in cold pools, then hot saunas etc. They're likely immune healthier by default, than the more lardy, yet not as cold Western Euroland Islands.

Complimentary to this are obesity factors, figures across the Ire & uk show there are plenty 'o fatties. Ire: 37% are overweight and a further 23% 'obese'. A recent average put it at 25% obese, with Swedes just 20%.

A good solution to winter days may be to slap a load of mirrors on the sides of mountians. e.g. Norway had a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Can I ask you when you were low in vitamin D, were you supplementing?

I got my home test to check for my vitamin d levels during the week. I need to take a finger prick of blood and send it off. I'm waiting until Monday because it gets sent off through the post.

Before, the vit d test, I was probably having a general mutivit which would have had 100% the rda in it on and off.
    However, due to my lifestyle/work/skin issues I rarely get enough sunshine everyday unless working for example an outdoor festival. Aswell as having respirstory issues during the winter preceeding that first test, I had family member in ICU and others that passed away. So an extremely stressful time and probably used up all my vit d and b12 etc.

So proper sleep, eating well and not being stressed important also. I give a fuller answer to give context to what is an extremly low vit d level. But it just shows that with testing, a good gp and the right level of supplementation and or healthy eating and sunshine can do. And I didnt get very much of thst sunshine this year.:cool:

• Advertisement

Thats me fecked,no proper sleep,not eating well,little stressed.

Advertisement