Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

On 5000iu myself after a blood test showed me being borderline deficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There are different base oils in which the vitamin sits

I still don't follow

I thought it was as straightforward as taking 2000 to 4000 IUs a day but with Zinc to help absorb it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I still don't follow

I thought it was as straightforward as taking 2000 to 4000 IUs a day but with Zinc to help absorb it

This is why I also said earlier to ask your GP about it. My sister is also taking oil based ones (and this is not some complex that had D and Zinc in it, its just 2000 IUs vit D soft capsules) - her recent tests showed that she IS absorbing this way vit D (the spray form didn't work for her).
    - I asked a local pharmacist here in Ireland about it - she said for some cases the GP can prescribe vit D + separate oil capsules - its not available over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is the use of Vitamin D being promoted by the Health services for alleviation of Covid-19 symptoms? (not once one has it of course but as a preventitive so that any illness one develops is more minor)

If it is effective ,why do I hear nothing about it at briefings?

Surely its use and promotion would lead to an easing on demands for hospitalization?(and be in the communal ,and not simply individual benefit)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Supplements wise, my research has found that Zinc absorbs it

It's why many Vitamin D supplements come with added Zinc

Is that not Vit C?

I don't think you need anything to absorb D. You chiefly manufacture it in your collagen (skin layer) from sunlight.

Lack of sunlight (big issue here for us) means a need for dietary suplements. Hard to get from diet alone, so tablets are good.

If you are not of northern-Euro heritage - get even more into you. Don't miss chances to be out in sunlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

amandstu wrote: »

If it is effective ,why do I hear nothing about it at briefings?

Its like the people controlling the country only want to scold us with never-ending threats of lockdown, and nothing ever suggested about the benifits of Vitamin D therapy , , breathing excercises , getting fit and losing weight - but stay locked up in your rooms gorging on takeaway Pizza , you may not get Covid but you wont get well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Poster above make good point in regards loosing weight.

The single biggest effective reduction in death rates via covid would be if all the fatties (well the 25-27% of population that are technically 'obese') took some action.
    Even 20% of little 5yrs are overweight or obese (due to junk foods mainly), not a good start.

Vit D/C/Zinc are all simple, good, instant, easy and effective tools, but if someone (by their own choice) is carring around a spare 4stone or so, that's a bigger issue.

Not only may it double survival rates if infected with the China Flu, but could double or triple the effectiveness of any future vaccine (once that's been establisehed as safe).

If 'big boned' (for decades) singer Adele, can loose 8stone within 3mths, anyone can.
    Of course consult a health professional before undertaking any significant lifestyle changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not sure why supplements would be needed in Ireland, cheese, milk, eggs are all good for it and very much part of the Irish diet. Maybe there are issues with the young who think dairy related foods should be avoided to save the world. Tuna is great for it I love tuna :)

The other thing is sunlight, even in Ireland we get enough if we just bother to get outside in it.

Not sure why supplements would be needed in Ireland, cheese, milk, eggs are all good for it and very much part of the Irish diet. Maybe there are issues with the young who think dairy related foods should be avoided to save the world. Tuna is great for it I love tuna :)

The other thing is sunlight, even in Ireland we get enough if we just bother to get outside in it.

I suppose it is all down to the numbers.

What percentage of the population ,specifically the older and more vulnerable sections of it have low levels of VitD in the winter (or any months)?

And ,of course what actual scientific evidence that the level of VitD in the body is an indicator of more serious outcomes in Covid-19?

2 things here really

- No food gives adequate Vitamin D. Some gives you a little

- Irish sun gives absolutely feck all Vitamin D from September to mid March

• Advertisement

Only on actual sunny days, and only during spring/summer type months.
    Luckily it's nearing solar noon and soon time for lunch & light.

Mushroons(chestnut) may be useful also, but this may be D2, not 3.

Ideally leave out in sun 60mins before use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

amandstu

The evidence is the blood tests taken for those who end up in ICU, like weight. Why these matters are not being broadcast by loudhailer is a mystery. Vitamin D's value is it's ability to suppress cytokine storm when infected by Covid 19. You'll probably know the stories about people who's lung capacity has been reduced since they became infected.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/asbmr/88586

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Department of Health recommend Vitamin D... for under 5s!

Children aged between one and four should be getting Vitamin D supplements between Halloween and St Patrick's Day every year, under new guidelines issued by the Department of Health. The guidelines say such supplements are needed because children living in Ireland do not get enough of the vitamin in the winter months... The guidelines say 5mg of Vitamin D only supplements should be administered to children daily during this period.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1001/1168714-healthy-eating-guidelines/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Only on actual sunny days, and only during spring/summer type months.
    Luckily it's nearing solar noon and soon time for lunch & light.

Mushroons(chestnut) may be useful also, but this may be D2, not 3.

Ideally leave out in sun 60mins before use.

I heard there is an app for this // dminder or something (not using it myself) - would tell you how much sun you'd need based on your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was active on the first Covid-19 thread. Around the time it was obvious to me a pandemic was going to ensue - when the news of the infections at the conference in Singapore broke and of the subsequent avalanche of infections in the French ski resort - I bought some vitamin D3 supplemts and have been taking them since February.

Vitamin D deficiency is widespread in Dublin and likely the whole country: http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=27419

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

My GP advised Vit D early Jan; even told me Dunnes Stores had a good offer so I started and then and will continue. He also suggested I lose some excess of my 15 stone weight and to date I'm down 2 stone plus. Good advice and trying to lose another 1.5 stone by year end. And keep it down. No bread or rarely eaten and lots of fruit each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I still don't follow

It's to do with the bodies ability to absorb the carrier oils effectively.

topper75 wrote: »
    Is that not Vit C?

I don't think you need anything to absorb D. You chiefly manufacture it in your collagen (skin layer) from sunlight.

Lack of sunlight (big issue here for us) means a need for dietary suplements. Hard to get from diet alone, so tablets are good.

If you are not of northern-Euro heritage - get even more into you. Don't miss chances to be out in sunlight.

Your right. It's actually magnesium and the recommended dose for absorbtion of bit d is 400iu..

I've been on high doses of vit d for about 2 years, 10,000iu per day.

I've reduced to 5000 after my levels came up by this summer. I'm waiting in blood results next week so will be interested in seeing them.

GP said they were too high by her standards last year.

PMBC wrote: »
    My GP advised Vit D early Jan; even told me Dunnes Stores had a good offer so I started and then and will continue. He also suggested I lose some excess of my 15 stone weight and to date I'm down 2 stone plus. Good advice and trying to lose another 1.5 stone by year end. And keep it down. No bread or rarely eaten and lots of fruit each day.

By accident I realized that some (fresh) fruit has a high sugar content ...

Sable grapes ,I was eating them almost like sweeties.

I think it is all sugar and you can't compensate for sweet foods by eating too much of that kind of fruit (think strawberries are a lot less full of sugar than they actually contain)

mvl wrote: »
    I heard there is an app for this // dminder or something (not using it myself) - would tell you how much sun you'd need based on your location.

I used D Minder app from April till September when out in the sun. A general rule I used was that "any sun between 10am and about 3.30pm" is Vitamin D sun. Anything outside of these times wasn't

But now, in Ireland, the app is useless again till mid March. None of the sun will omit Vitamin D till then

• Advertisement

If 'big boned' (for decades) singer Adele, can loose 8stone within 3mths, anyone can.
    Of course consult a health professional before undertaking any significant lifestyle changes.

Yeah if someone with millions, someone to cook, clean, mind her kids and doesn't have to work and has access to every bit of help imaginable, sure it must be easy.:rolleyes:

This is what I'm taking ATM:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Maximum-Strength-Supplement-Softgels/dp/B072L235Z5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2AQSFZTLAM1ZU&dchild=1&keywords=high+strength+vitamin+d&qid=1588719370&sprefix=high+strength+vitamin%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-5

re cod liver oil, according to my doctor it does indeed. I'd have also have fatty fish for dinner at least once a week. Other vitamins are needed to unlock the benefits of Vitamin D, such as a balance of Vitamin C.

4000 iu is the max of Vitamin D you should take a day but ONLY if you're blood is being monitored. There is such a think as Vitamin D toxicity, too much can cause issues with liver, kidney failure. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/too-much-vitamin-d-can-lead-to-kidney-failure

Overall its a helpful supplement but just don't over do it especially if you're taking other multivitamins which may also contain Vitamin D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

4000 iu is the max of Vitamin D you should take a day but ONLY if you're blood is being monitored. There is such a think as Vitamin D toxicity, too much can cause issues with liver, kidney failure. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/too-much-vitamin-d-can-lead-to-kidney-failure

Overall its a helpful supplement but just don't over do it especially if you're taking other multivitamins which may also contain Vitamin D.

I have lived in Australia for a good few years. I take a few instances of vitamin D toxicity with a huge pinch of salt.
    Under picture-perfect conditions, the human body is able to produce as much as 10,000 IU to 20,000 IU of vitamin D3 in just 30 minutes

Your skin would easily make hundreds of thousands of D3 per week in Oz. Excess gets stored in fatty tissue for use in winter months.
    According to a 2010 journal article published by "Pediatric Nephrology," vitamin D-2 and vitamin D-3 circulate in the blood for about 24 hours. Afterward, these vitamins are stored in the fat tissue for approximately two months. When the body needs more vitamins, vitamin D-2 and vitamin D-3 are converted to their active form called 25-hydroxyvitamin D. The active vitamin is then released into the blood. The released 25-hydroxyvitamin D can circulate in the body for approximately three weeks. After the body is replenished, the biologically active form is stored in fat tissues for months

https://www.livestrong.com/article/13719160-noom-diet/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

PMBC wrote: »
    My GP advised Vit D early Jan; even told me Dunnes Stores had a good offer so I started and then and will continue.

Again Why are the HSE/NPHT and WHO not reccomending people ensure they are Vitamin D sufficient - I would be very surprised if Nursing homes are supplementing patients (the most vulnerable/ at risk) With Vitamin D3 boosters tablets - I know from visiting a few nursing homes very few get out and get fresh air.
    Surley also at the daily press conference someone from the HSE/NPHET should be advicing people who are overweight to loose weight and excercise, if they want to reduce risk of Covid complications - as if total lockdowns and washing hands are the only cure for this virus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was on a colossal dosage (prescribed). I think it was twice a week for a month then once a month for three months. We then had to wait three months to test and I should have those results on Monday. There is some connection between thyroid conditions such as Hashimoto's Syndrome and absorption. The 25000IU bottles I had to drink smelled like sheep and were like little bottles of oil.

Yeah if someone with millions, someone to cook, clean, mind her kids and doesn't have to work and has access to every bit of help imaginable, sure it must be easy.
    Only millionares can diet, or read up on healthier living?
    Well this is news to everyone.

The (former) big singer Adele, simply followed a healthier (Sirtfood) diet and moved a bit more.
    Of course loosing 8stone within 3mths is a bit much, set your target for 2stone or so.

This diet can include (the none billionaire items such as) green tea, dark chocolate, apples, blueberries and even red wine.
    Obesity stats are shocking in the Western World, and a bad combo for the China Flu, even with remedies.

See in the news, Matt Hancock has (wrongly) claimed trial had shown the 6p a day supplement has no benefit.
    He's making a huge balls up of it so far over there.

amandstu

The evidence is the blood tests taken for those who end up in ICU, like weight. Why these matters are not being broadcast by loudhailer is a mystery. Vitamin D's value is it's ability to suppress cytokine storm when infected by Covid 19. You'll probably know the stories about people who's lung capacity has been reduced since they became infected.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/asbmr/88586
    Well Dr Fauci counts as a small loudhailer in my books.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseret.com/platform/amp/u-s-world/2020/9/29/21459766/dr-anthony-fauci-vitamin-d-covid-19

"Fauci said: “If you are deficient in vitamin D, that does have an impact on your susceptibility to infection. So I would not mind recommending, and I do it myself taking vitamin D supplements.” "

He says he is taking the supplements and not to bother with other "immune boosting" suggestions (If I read that right)

Good enough for me then ,for now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

So I was diagnosed Vit D deficient by the GP a few years ago. I took supplements for a while but never got retested and eventually stopped. I've been taking these for the last two months now. Its only 25ug though. Should I be doubling up? Or switching to something else? Maybe one of the sprays? I am at high risk, and a teacher

• Advertisement

So I was diagnosed Vit D deficient by the GP a few years ago. I took supplements for a while but never got retested and eventually stopped. I've been taking these for the last two months now. Its only 25ug though. Should I be doubling up? Or switching to something else? Maybe one of the sprays? I am at high risk, and a teacher

No one here can give you medical advice

Advertisement