Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report: Vitamin D Insufficiency is Prevalent in Severe COVID-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

No one here can give you medical advice

True. Will ring the doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

amandstu wrote: »
    By accident I realized that some (fresh) fruit has a high sugar content ...

Sable grapes ,I was eating them almost like sweeties.

I think it is all sugar and you can't compensate for sweet foods by eating too much of that kind of fruit (think strawberries are a lot less full of sugar than they actually contain)

You need sugars and fats to live. But there are a myriad of both types and you need to differentiate. Fructose consumed in the vehicle of a piece of fruit is quite beneficial. Sucrose consumed in the vehicle of a mars bar, not so much. Anything that ends in -ose is a sugar basically e.g. dextrose, glucose, lactose etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Got a test online, with finger prick of blood, I sent off my sample. Received results this morning. I'm deficient in vitamin d.

I was regularly taking a multivitamin last winter. Started taking 1000iu a day back in April. 1000iu is maintenance levels, so I was maintaining a deficiency.

Off to the doctors I go to double check these results. But wasn't expecting this, thought 1000iu would be enough. But nowhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Got a test online, with finger prick of blood, I sent off my sample. Received results this morning. I'm deficient in vitamin d.

I was regularly taking a multivitamin last winter. Started taking 1000iu a day back in April. 1000iu is maintenance levels, so I was maintaining a deficiency.

Off to the doctors I go to double check these results. But wasn't expecting this, thought 1000iu would be enough. But nowhere near it.

i take 5000iu a day .

also vit d is fat soluble , you need to take it with a meal or it won't be absorbed fully.

paw patrol wrote: »
    i take 5000iu a day .

also vit d is fat soluble , you need to take it with a meal or it won't be absorbed fully.

I don't think we take enough vitamin D in Ireland. I certainly wasn't anyway. I thought 1000iu would have been enough. Just goes to show that it's important to get the levels checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I realise this is completely anecdotal, but I was advised years ago to maintain a high Vit-D level years ago by my doctor after an illness, and my family have all done the same since. But we seem to pick up way less colds/bugs since and if we do pick something up we all seem to shake it much quicker/easier. Id really recommend it to anyone tbh

I like the 5000 iu spray, can pick it up in health shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Does anyone use similar to this Desk Lamp when late October comes around in Ireland? https://www.amazon.com/Beurer-Daylight-BrightLight-Simulation-TL30/dp/B01HOBZ066/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=vitamin+d+lamp&qid=1603741197&sr=8-30

A few lamps on Amazon mention Vitamin D. I'm sure the sellers couldn't say this on the world's biggest retail website without having proof of some sort

Side question:

With the horrible early dark nights now with us, has anyone upped their Vitamin D dosage?

I'm currently at 4,000 IUs a day (two x 2,000 IUs vitamin tabs, with one taken in the morning and one in the evening), but I'm thinking of going upto 5,000 IUs now that the clocks have changed and the case numbers are crazy high

Where are you at on dosage?

I might have a video or phone call with my GP before going to 5,000 IUs, but my initial findings are that no harm can be done to you in these dosages upto 5,000 IUs

It's Vitamin C and Calcium supplements you need to be very careful of not over-doing it when it comes to dosage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Does anyone use similar to this Desk Lamp when late October comes around in Ireland?

The idea is that they "simulate" sunlight to help with seasonal affective disorder.

Exposure to UV light increases the risk of skin cancer, so that's not the way you want to get more Vitamin D. That's why these lamps don't do it.

Polar101 wrote: »
    The idea is that they "simulate" sunlight to help with seasonal affective disorder.

Exposure to UV light increases skin cancer, so that's not the way you want to get more Vitamin D. That's why these lamps don't do it.

I was thinking the same, as in: how can an artificial lamp give you Vitamin D?

Amazon's standards on what can and can't be advertised in the wording of the product description seems to be slipping

• Advertisement

Does anyone use similar to this Desk Lamp when late October comes around in Ireland? https://www.amazon.com/Beurer-Daylight-BrightLight-Simulation-TL30/dp/B01HOBZ066/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=vitamin+d+lamp&qid=1603741197&sr=8-30

A few lamps on Amazon mention Vitamin D. I'm sure the sellers couldn't say this on the world's biggest retail website without having proof of some sort

Side question:

With the horrible early dark nights now with us, has anyone upped their Vitamin D dosage?

I'm currently at 4,000 IUs a day (two x 2,000 IUs vitamin tabs, with one taken in the morning and one in the evening), but I'm thinking of going upto 5,000 IUs now that the clocks have changed and the case numbers are crazy high

I might have a video or phone call with my GP before going to 5,000 IUs, but my initial findings are that no harm can be done to you in these dosages upto 5,000 IUs

It's Vitamin C and Calcium supplements you need to be very careful of not over-doing it when it comes to dosage

Why vitamin c? You just pee vitamin c back out again, the body doesn't store vitamin c.

I'm on 20,000 iu vitamin d per day but I have a deficiency and it's under doctor's orders.

To answer your question, it's so hard to say without actually knowing your blood levels. Most Irish people are deficient and I was maintaining a deficiency with the dose I was taking earlier in the year. I was first taking 2000iu per day for the first month, thinking that would correct any deficiency I had and then I went down to taking 1000iu per day and thought I would be grand. I was so wrong on that one and got a surprise when I got my levels checked a few weeks ago. Huge difference to what I was taking and 20,000iu.

If you don't think you're taking enough, take some more.

Why vitamin c? You just pee vitamin c back out again, the body doesn't store vitamin c.

There's many medical reports out there saying too much Vitamin C and/or Zinc and Calcium supplements leads to kidney stones

It's not as straightforward as your body peeing out excess

Give it a Google

There's many medical reports out there saying too much Vitamin C and/or Zinc and Calcium supplements leads to kidney stones

It's not as straightforward as your body peeing out excess

Give it a Google

I didn't know that. All good with me, so far.

I didn't know that. All good with me, so far.

Calcification of kidney stones can build up over months and months, it's not something will happen in a week or two of too much Vitamin C

Have a chat with your GP regarding Vitamin C dosage as we're veering towards medical advice which is off Charter and also off the topic of Vitamin D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Hi

Two questions for ya:
    • Which brand of high strength supplement and what dosage?
    • Is Vitamin D in Cod Liver Oil in good amounts?

You don't want or need to take too much Vit D either as it can damage your liver.

saabsaab wrote: »
    You don't want or need to take too much Vit D either as it can damage your liver.

It's the contrary in fact

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946281/

Liver disease has also been strongly linked to vitamin D deficiency

I've looked high and low online, there's nothing saying Vitamin D in high dosages of upto 5000 IUs daily does any damage

And Google usually screams this out at you if even the evidence in a study is tiny

funnydoggy wrote: »

That's an excellent price

How many days usually for a delivery to Ireland? Anything upto 3 days would be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

At the higher Vitamin D levels it's a good idea to take Vitamin K2 as well.

Vit K2 makes sure that calcium—which Vit D increases the absorption of—goes to the right places and doesn't end up in the blood vessels or cause kidney stones.

Also, you're probably better off taking all your Vitamin D in one dose early in the day with a meal. Taking some in the evening might affect circadian rhythms and hinder sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.24.20075838v1

It would be ridiculous to suggest that Vitamin D cures COVID-19. But it does appear that people who get it and have Vitamin D deficiency are much more likely to have a severe case. People who ended up in the ICU were more likely to have Vitamin D deficiency than the less severe cases, and all of the patients under 75 years of age who had to go to ICU were Vitamin D deficient
    But vit d deficiency would indicate general poor health.

And Vit d and the immune system in general has long been linked.

Remember you get vit d from breakfast cereals ...all the animals out in the sun etc have it in their bodies ..you get it from example eating red meat

Aging causes a decrease in calcium absorbing and a drop in vit d. Its not to do with diet etc. Its just aging. Your body has trouble absorbing it.

So they try giving older people higher doses ..it doesn't always mean they can absorb it though.

I take it anyway. Vit D that is.

It's the contrary in fact

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946281/

I've looked high and low online, there's nothing saying Vitamin D in high dosages of upto 5000 IUs daily does any damage

And Google usually screams this out at you if even the evidence in a study is tiny
    Its fat soluble. Its not water soluble ..yes high dosages can damage your body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what would be too much , in your opinion , during the winter months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

2smiggy wrote: »

2 tonnes

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

More than 15,000u. I would think that 5,000-6,000 should be enough to bolster your immune system adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Taken from a website

'
    A daily intake ranging from 40,000–100,000 IU (1000–2500 micrograms), for one to several months, has been shown to cause toxicity in humans (14Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source, 21Trusted Source).
    This is 10-25 times the recommended upper limit, in repeated doses. Individuals with vitamin D toxicity usually have blood levels above 150 ng/ml (375 nmol/L).
    Several cases have also been caused by errors in manufacturing, when the supplements had 100-4000 times higher amounts of vitamin D than stated on the package (18Trusted Source, 19Trusted Source, 22Trusted Source).
    The blood levels in these cases of toxicity ranged from 257–620 ng/ml, or 644–1549 nmol/L.
    Vitamin D toxicity is usually reversible, but severe cases may eventually cause kidney failure and calcification of the arteries'

Best not to overdo it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I'm on 20,000 iu vitamin d per day but I have a deficiency and it's under doctor's orders.

To answer your question, it's so hard to say without actually knowing your blood levels. Most Irish people are deficient and I was maintaining a deficiency with the dose I was taking earlier in the year. I was first taking 2000iu per day for the first month, thinking that would correct any deficiency I had and then I went down to taking 1000iu per day and thought I would be grand. I was so wrong on that one and got a surprise when I got my levels checked a few weeks ago. Huge difference to what I was taking and 20,000iu.

If you don't think you're taking enough, take some more.

Could you say what service you used to get the test, also the result that led to such a high supplement level, if personal no need, thanks

saabsaab wrote: »
    Taken from a website

Best not to overdo it..

Yes, you're right

I'm sticking with 2,000 IUs a day instead of 4,000/5000 and I'm going to up my water drinking intake to flush anything excessive out

The 2000 IUs one I ordered yesterday comes with K2, so that will help keep the intake of it safer too

Depends on your age.

Also the food we eat ..if its irish beef etc ..it has less vit D as the cows absorb less from the sun here ..plus the grass has less sun here so unless a farmer supplements the cows don't get as much.

Spanish beef and dairy are much higher in Vit D for example. Its why people in Northern Europe tend to be deficient its not just US lacking sunlight ..all the animals and foods we are eating get less sun too ..all the fruits veg etc get less sun.

I think in the states they started exposing mushrooms in supermarkets to violet lamps to up their vit D. Not sure about here.

Its kind of not known if the low over the counter dosage does anything I would say anything to actually make a change for someone truly deficient would be prescription strength.

I always thought 400 to 800 UI was enough for maintenance during winter. Maybe just 400 if you have a diet high in it.

But i am not a doctor.

Too much can give make your heart arrhythmic and make you susceptible to strokes though .

Could you say what service you used to get the test, also the result that led to such a high supplement level, if personal no need, thanks
    Your GP can send you for bloods i have had it done. He/she just marks what bloods he wants done.

You can get the kitchen sink while you are there may aswell see how everything else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

New small study on Vitamin D deficiency and COVID, more prevalent in men.
    Over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201027092216.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

is_that_so wrote: »
    New small study on Vitamin D deficiency and COVID, more prevalent in men.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201027092216.htm

If your sick do you become deficient in Vit D quickly?

As in could you have abundant levels of Vit D a few weeks before you got sick and once you get sick it drops like a rock?

Does the human body clear Vit D fast?

Advertisement