Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft - SELECTION THREAD

• 06-05-2020 6:17am

i?img=%2Fi%2Fleaguelogos%2Fsoccer%2F500%2F23.png

SCORING IS BASED ON PREMIER LEAGUE PERFORMANCE ONLY. THEY HAVE TO HAVE MADE A SINGLE PREMIER LEAGUE PERFORMANCE TO QUALIFY FOR SELECTION (LOAN DEALS ARE NOT INCLUDED)

There were 13 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Redzerdrog - Mo Salah
    Ferris_Bueller - Sergio Aguero
    IncognitoMan - van Dijk
    Dr. Kenneth - De Bruyne
    Liam O - Sadio Mane
    Hello 2D - Andy Robertson
    Mr Nice Guy - N'Golo Kante
    Wrestlemaniac - Alexis Sanchez
    Daithi1989
    Bounty Hunter Le Champion
    Martyos
    Brianregan
    Shanotheslayer
    GlaDos

YOU CAN STILL JOIN TODAY BUT YOU'LL BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE QUEUE (Until last pick is made in first round).

ROUND 6 WILL BE A SPECIAL PICK ROUND (You can pick someone that won't be based on their Premier League performance)
    Tagged:

Comments

SCORING WILL BE BASED ON IN THREAD THANKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ok very tough decision but have decided to go with the man that has been top scorer every year he has played with Liverpool

Mo Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First pick for me is four time league winner and 4th top PL goalscorer of all time, Sergio Aguero.

sergio-aguero-bournemouth-vs-manchester-city-2019-20_165mppecg7lla1e5iql0grr4j6.jpg?t=-922993692&quality=100

In my opinion he is one of the greatest PL players of all time and the only striker better than him has been Thierry Henry. Has broken double figures every year he has been in the league and has scored 20+ on six occasions. He really can do it all up front and has adapted his game slightly as he has got older. Pacy, clever, good dribbling, great positioning, works hard, excellent finishing, gets involved in the build up play and has scored many big goals. Delighted to get him as my first pick as he was who I had singled out before the draft draw took place (very lucky to get 2nd pick admittedly!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'll go with Van Dijk.

On phone so no write up but essentially best defender in the league currently by a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Best player in the league at the minute, surprised he wasn't in the top 3

Kevin De Bruyne
    NINTCHDBPICT000564342095-e1582147243201.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

• Advertisement

LIAM O

Sadio Mane

p110979.png

Andy Robertson

1217761.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This man went to Leicester and helped them win the Premier League. He then went to Chelsea and did it again, as well as picking up the PFA Player of the Year award. He is of course...

5aaf88ab74758f4147000001.jpg

N'Golo Kante

Delighted to have him as my team's engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Knock me off this. Sorry, but won’t be looking at the soccer forum again in future, reread the ****e posted in the feedback thread and the coronavirus thread and **** that. Too many tossers around here unfortunately.

Is there a way I can get permanently banned from the soccer forum without abusing someone? Like if I message a mod asking for a ban from the forum would they do it from me so I can’t come back on here? Pm me details if it’s possible if someone could please.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Sorry guys, work has been a bit crazy today.

I'll pick Alexis Sanchez.

24 goals and 10 assists in 2016/17 for Arsenal.

Dragged the team through that season and consistently top class for Arsenal.

A man who on his day can change a game in a flash. Don't let his time at Man Utd take away from the qualities he has as a player at his peak.

Someone who will defend from the front and can play across the front line.

• Advertisement

daithi1989 has chosen Alexander Arnold as his pick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Here are some stats for my 1st round draft pick ( A consistent, goal-scoring, leader and focal point for a team):

He has won six Premier League Player of the Month awards (I think there may only be one current player with more)
    selected for the PFA Team of the Year four times (4 years in a row)
    Premier league golden boot winner twice (back to back years)
    Maybe not in the Prem but highlighting his talent he was also the Golden boot winner at the 2018 World Cup.

He is of course

Harry Kane

tenor.gif?itemid=12024613

abTHbR9afS.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sorry for the delay guys, my pick is:

David Silva

One of the greatest playmakers in the history of the Premier League, delighted to get him this far down in the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My 1st pick and the focal point of this team he can play up top or as a LW cutting in from the wing he was top scorer (shared) last season and is a predator in the box he is Pierre Emerick Aubemayang

Auba_30.jpg?itok=2Wb35gFw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm feeling risky

JAMES MILNER

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Top forwards are at a premium, so both my picks are going to be top class attacking wide players.

My first is the player who has probably benefited the most from Pep Guardiola's management of City.

This season is his third in a row breaking double figures for premier league goals, and while he only has 2 assists this season, the previous 3 seasons saw him hit double figures for that stat as well. He has been essential to city's past 2 title winning and record breaking seasons.

Capable of playing anywhere across the front 3 and guarenteed to contribute goals and assists, my first pick is Raheem Sterling.

Sterling-Man-City-scaled-e1585748051785-1024x683.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

My Second pick is another flexible attacking player. Capable of hurting teams from out wide or leading the line up top, this player has hit double figures for premier league goals the previous 3 seasons, and having hit 9 so far this season, you would expect him to do it again if the season resumes.

My second pick is Heung-min Son.

2.50368337.jpg?rect=33,0,2564,1442&ext=.jpg&w=764&h=430

My Pick:

Riyad Mahrez!

Team:
    James Milner
    Riyad Mahrez

My 2nd pick he's not been in the league long but has already made his presence felt he is Bruno Fernandes

he'll slot just in behind Aubameyang supplying the bullets for the gun

skysports-bruno-fernandes-manchester-united_4912070.jpg

AM : Bruno
    CF: Auba

Going to really solidify my midfield now and choose someone who’ll allow Silva the creative freedom to pull the strings in front of him, and someone he has outstanding chemistry with on the pitch;

ferna-cele.ashx

Fernandinho

I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to pair himself and Silva together, two of the finest players in one of the greatest teams ever seen in English football and the numbers of games they’ve played together is in triple figures.

• Advertisement

There are two positions that I think need to be prioritized in this draft sue to a combination of their importance to a team and the lack of depth available. That is a star striker (Kane-check) and a star CB that can take on an opponents star striker.... so here we go.

Speaking of the importance of a player to a team, no player seemingly higlighted that more in recent times than this one when his absence due to injury lead to Man City's super expensive defense falling apart.

I am of course talking about...
    Aymeric Laporte

960.jpg

abTHysvann.png

martyos121 wrote: »

Fernandinho

Damn you, thought this would be a hidden gem.

Bumping this up for daithi1989 as its nearly been 24 hours at this stage.

Daithi1989 has chosen Rashford.

My next pick is a four time winner of player of the month.

A premier league winner.

Voted player of the season in 2015/16.

He has the record for scoring in most consecutive games. (11).

One more goal will bring him to 100 goals in the premier league at an average of a goal every other game.

Not bad for a player playing for a club outside the 'big 6'.

He is Jamie Vardy.

A man who is going to stretch even the best defences with selfless running leaving space for Alexis Sanchez. A man who would thrive on the service delivered by Sanchez.

Going for my front man now and this man has taken to the Premier League like a duck to water since he arrived two seasons ago, proving a nightmare for top 6 sides to deal with. If the rumour mill is to be believed, many big clubs across Europe are preparing to move for him. Introducing...

skysports-jimenez-wolves_4629034.jpg?20190404124223

...Raul Jimenez.

He's not only capable of scoring goals but is one of the best forwards when it comes to assists and general play. He should prove handy.

Leroy Sane

LS.jpg

Liam O is picking Firmino

latest?cb=20190807042207

My next pick will anchor my midfield and give great defensive cover.

fabinho-liverpool-2019_1nhijr0ifgwd518aw3ppfznerf.jpg?t=-569562868&quality=100

Fabinho

• Advertisement

My pick : Bernardo Silva

Been one of City's best players for a couple of seasons now and can play a couple of different positions so will give me a chance to change tactics later if need be.

Jan Vertonghen is my next pick.

NINTCHDBPICT000547943692.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

A rock of a centre half since joining Spurs in 2012 amassing over 220 Premier League games since, he has been one of the most consistent defenders in the league during that time and named in the team of the season twice, also has become Belgiums most capped player ever which is no mean feat considering the squad they have in the past decade. Great reader of the game and very comfortable on the ball in playing out from defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Gona get my midfield sorted and take Gini Wijnaldum and Jordan Henderson

Dele Alli

20549264-0-image-a-70_1572809232231.jpg

Difficult pick between a couple but picking Alli for the form he showed in his first two or three years of breaking onto the scene for Spurs. When he played with that level of confidence he was scoring goals at the rate of a centre forward and was fantastic at making late runs and bursts into the box, technically and physically superb, named PFA young player of the year two years running and also got into the team of the year both years. Should be great in behind Aguero and will add goals and some physicality that Aguero might lack.

Don't think he'll fall back to me and I don't think there's a huge amount of quality in this area so I'll take him now.

Wilfred Ndidi

I dont think there are any CB left to pick who are better than this guy was when at his best for Spurs between 2015-2017.

tottenhams_toby_alderweireld_celebrates_after_the_game_337717-768x498.jpg

Toby Alderweireld

• Advertisement

Liam O

Harry Maguire

Harry.Maguire1.jpg

Ruben Neves

PA-Neves-1-940x530.jpg

Team
    Andy Robertson
    Leroy Sane
    Ruben Neves

This man is a two-time Premier League winner, and was voted Chelsea's Player's Player of the Year in 2013-14 by his teammates - a season where they had the best defence in the league, conceding just 27 goals in 38 games.

When Chelsea won the title in 2016-17, he played every minute of every league game, only the fourth outfield player do so for a Premier League winning team.

He has gone on to captain the club and holds the armband to this day. Known as Dave to his mates, he is of course...

cesar-azpilicueta-chelsea_jw8c532bxurp1rl3l2zfchumv.jpg?t=790011180&quality=100&h=300

...Cesar Azpilicueta.

A dependable defender with leadership qualities, but what I really like about him is that he can play across the back line. That flexibility will hopefully help me as the game progresses.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta

My next pick is a two time premier league winner.

He has been named on the PFA team of year on 3 occasions.

He was Bolton's players' player of the year in 08/09

He has been a mainstay in the premier league since then.

He was one half of a very successful defensive partnership for Chelsea.

Good in the air in both boxes and under rated with the ball at his feet.

He is... Gary Cahill

Next pick for daithi is the first of the goalkeepers to go..

Alisson Becker

• Advertisement

With my 3rd pick (joining Kane & Laporte) I am going to pick someone who I would like to remind you we are judging based on their Premiership peak because unlike now he was a beast then.

In fact during the 2015/2016 season and coming off becoming a World cup winner this player had 16 assists before New Years day even rolled around, including recording assists in seven consecutive matches and in two of those matches he got two assists. Harry Kane is licking his lips just thinking about the delivery he will receive from peak...
    Mesut Ozil

giphy.gif

abTI2R8agC.png

My next pick is:

1177877496.jpeg

Ricardo Pereira

My next pick is someone tough to fight in midfield he has been great for chelsea he is Mateo Kovacic

178015.jpg

Richarlison!

Team:

Milner
    Mahrez
    Richarlison

My third choice will add some steel to my team. (re) joining Chelsea in 2014, this player was ever present in his first full season when Chelsea won the league in 2014/2015 and named in the team of the season. Two seasons later, he was ever present again as Chelsea clinched the title once more under Antonio Conte. He then moved to United and was a key player as they finished 2nd, their best finish since Sir Alex left.

He's past his best now, but in his prime he was one of the best defensive mids around, he is Nemanja Matic .

_97247596_matic.jpg

My fourth choice is one of the most talented young defenders in the Premier league. While he's had issues with injuries, when fit he's proven his worth. This season in particular he played every game as Liverpool went on an incredible 8 game streak without conceding a goal. He's been a big part of their inevitable march towards the title this season adn actually was absent for the one game they lost. My fourth draft pick is Joe Gomez

thumb_100150_default_news_size_5.jpeg

1. Raheem Sterling
    2. Son Heung-min
    3. Nemanja Matic
    4. Joe Gomez

I decided I couldn't not have my twin(apparently)

So going for DDG! 2nd keeper to be picked

Team:

Milner
    Mahrez
    Richarlison
    DDG

My next pic for a long time he has been Crystal Palaces best player and long deserving of a big move

Wilfred Zaha

PRI_113533441.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Going to pay some attention to my attack now, and luckily there’s a brilliant striker left to spearhead my frontline:

lacazette-lucipost.jpg?fit=1920%2C1080&ssl=1

Alexander Lacazette

Such is the quality of my next pick that Sarri when at Chelsea preferred him to Kante at the heart of his midfield. Then when that manager departed (and suddenly the player was linked to following him to Juve) he not only kept his place and position under Frank Lampard but had a much improved season and was named Vice Captain. He is the backbone to my team and my spine is now complete, he is...
    Jorginho

196268.jpg

abTJbJDaeP.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement