Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft - SELECTION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Next pick for daithi is Leighton Baines

Team so far:
    Alisson
    TAA
    Baines
    Rashford

My next pick was PFA young player of the Year in 2011/12

He is another two time premier league winner.

He has also been named on the PFA Team of the year on 3 occasions.

He is going to add some pace to the right side of my team going forward and similar to Pep at City, will be used by me as the last man back to stop counter attacks.

He is ... Kyle Walker

Team so far:
    Walker
    Cahill
    Sanchez
    Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My next pick has been a revelation since being promoted with Wolves, and has managed 8 goals and 6 assists in his last two seasons - figures that put him up there with anyone for his position.

Introducing...

SHKHFS2UG5ES5KTQV3LIEZZ72U.jpg

...Matt Doherty.

I feel there aren't many top names left for that position so I'm acting now. The chance to reunite him with Raul is a nice bonus.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty

Joel Matip

NINTCHDBPICT000554886481.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=100

Team
    Andy Robertson
    Leroy Sane
    Ruben Neves
    Joel Matip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wasn't going to go for right back this early but this guy has a claim to being one of the best ever in the PL. Holding down the position and captaining one of the best clubs in the league for the best part of a decade was

zaba2.jpg

Pablo Zabaleta

1. Mane
    2. Firmino
    3. Maguire
    4. Zabaleta

(Thank God I picked Maguire as this is turning into me picking players from my least favourite clubs :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Probably the best current player left in this imo. Hasnt played much this year but made the team of the year last season and looked unplayable at times. He should link up really well with my other midfielders

https%3A%2F%2Fthetopflight.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1195420706-850x560.jpeg

Paul Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Next up I'll go for one of the best CM over the last few seasons.

Ilkay Gundogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Okay I am going to go with IMO the best player left in the draft, Juan Mata.

article-2152678-132F9E35000005DC-863_306x423.jpg

A Champions League, 2 Europa Leagues, 2 FA Cups, League cup amongst his honours between Chelsea and United. His first two years at Chelsea he was one of the best players in England, getting Chelsea player of the year two seasons on the spin and a place in the PFA team of the year too. Can play in a few types of roles in that three behind the striker and I feel he is very good value at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Gona put some effort into the backline here and go with Seamus Coleman and John stones

• Advertisement

Joao Moutinho

moutinho-ball.jpg

Need to get a central midfielder in at this stage and feel he is one of the best available. A few Wolves players were picked ahead of him but it was Moutinho who got the Wolves player of the season last year, a very cool head in the middle of the pitch who has a great range of passing and can put in a tackle.

From past experience in these once the top keepers go the quality goes down so I'm gonna take the best keeper still on the board.

Completely changed how effective Man City were when he came in -

Ederson

Following on the GK picks going to take the next best keeper imo left, was great for Liverpool for a few years and would rival most the current keepers in his pomp.

liverpools_jose_reina_during_the_game_210841-768x539.jpg

Pepe Reina

Need a centre mid and this one has only been held back by injury to being one of the best out there. Has made plenty of appearances despite that and especially in his first season at Liverpool, showed how good he is. Fits in with Mane and Firmino very well in that he does a lot of running and has a bit of attacking flair too.

My next pick is Alex Oxlade Chamberlain.

alex-oxlade-chamberlain-liverpool-1566498443-24926.jpg

Lord Farq Caglar Soyuncu

SLAL-leicester-farquaad1.png

Team
    Andy Robertson
    Leroy Sane
    Ruben Neves
    Joel Matip
    Caglar Soyuncu

If I'm understanding the game right, I think this next pick represents great value. He has been a well respected defender for over a decade in the Premier League, which in itself is an achievement.

He came on the PL scene with a highly rated loan spell at Roy Keane's Sunderland; he had nearly a decade of being a respected option at Man United, back when the defensive options were immense; he earned plaudits at West Brom, becoming their captain; and ultimately joined Leicester, where he has been a big part in their push for a Champions League place.

Introducing...

gettyimages-114499110.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=700&quality=100

...Jonny Evans.

He should prove a solid addition at the back.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans

• Advertisement

My next pick is a personal Fantasy premier league favourite of mine. I always seem to have him at the right time.

A former premier league winner and named in the PFA team of the year 2017/18.

Much maligned for his defensive abilities, he was part of a defence that kept 16 clean sheets and only conceded 33 goals in that title winning season.

He is going to fit perfectly into my wing back system, highlighting his strengths, as he is ever the threat going forward and frequently pops up with goals and assists.

He is Marcos Alonso.

daithi1989 picks Nicolas Otamendi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CBs are dropping like flies so time for me to find a partner for Aymeric Laporte at the back of my teams spine. Laporte is a cultured European 25 year old 6 ft 3 in left footed CB

so I am choosing a cultured European 6 ft 3 in right footed center back that is just a little bit older than him (27) to partner him, and also someone who I believe is the best CB currently at Chelsea (so he will join his team mate Jorginho) who when combined with Laporte makes my CBs a combined (according to Transfermarkt) value of 100m

yep I'm pairing him with...
    Antonio Rüdiger

484_75kdidb5fb7hj9hkcidea.jpg

Team so far
    abTJ0Xcaoa.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

For my next pick, I’m going with:

2480141-51501530-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

Lucas Digne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

My next pick is

Hector Bellerin

hi-res-79265885024dc3a2e125968e7b5bd74f_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Aubameyang, Bruno , Kovacic, Zaha , Bellerin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Strikers are becoming a pick so I'm going to go with

Tammy Abraham!

Leads me with a front 3 of Mahrez - Tammy - Richi

Squad:

Team:

Milner
    Mahrez
    Richarlison
    DDG
    Tammy Abraham

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My fifth choice is a little risky, but for me is the best cb left in the draft.

While he has a reputation for making errors, he has played an important role for Chelsea over 2 spells, picking up an an impressive trophy haul which includes 2 FA cups, a Europa League, a Champions league and the premier league. While winning the premier league in 16/17 he probably played his best football, playing 36 games as Chelsea swept the opposition aside, and this is the form I think should be considered for this draft.

Strong and quick, an eye for goal and a leader of men, it is the unmistakable David Luiz.

david-luiz-chelsea-2018-19_1kera6y3a2myp11ghvalo975eu-390x285.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Kicking off the special round, my 6th choice is someone who will be prefect to lead my attack.

Playing for Liverpool between 2010 and 2014, he started slowly but hit an impressive 23 PL goals in 12/13 and an incredible 31 PL goals in 13/14 as Liverpool went agonisingly close to the league title. Credited as a player who raised the game of everyone around him, he will do whatever it takes to win and will link up brilliantly with Sterling and Son in my attack. It can only be Luis Suarez.

thumb_42874_misc_general_500.jpeg

1. Raheem Sterling
    2. Son Heung-min
    3. Nemanja Matic
    4. Joe Gomez
    5. David Luiz
    6. Luis Suarez

Apologies folks. I never do big fancy write up. But I'm going with one of the greatest midfielders of all time. If not the best. I've seen him score a hat trick against my team live.

He hasn't won much in comparison to other choices but he definitely is one of the greats.

Steven Gerrard.

This one I thought about a lot but in the end defence is where I'm lacking so I think bringing a premier league winning captain and one of the best Centre backs of the last year Vincent Kompany will go some way to sorting that

TELEMMGLPICT000197738567_trans%2B%2BjHUglIIWz6-gx255g7FPPe2_ocpv-VgXds40sNfaFL0.jpeg

Aubameyang, Zaha,Bruno Kovacic, Bellerin , Kompany

Finally going to select my captain and leader, one of the greatest defenders the Premier League has ever seen and also had a knack for scoring, with 41 league goals in his career, the most by any defender in the history of the league. My next pick is of course:

John-Terry-640x400.jpg

John Terry

Screw it!

There are players that might suit what I have already more, but are there better players left.... I don't think so! and that's how I'm justifying this :pac:

My 6th draft pick is...
    Thierry Henry

Here is why he is eligable

e5ba34b8-8e97-486d-8d26-49c3f3aeb4c3.gif...tumblr_mjtk8pkgjl1s7udsbo1_400.gif

Team so far

abTKuAUaK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Joining Daithi’s XI next is the following man;

2x Premier League Champion
    4x PFA Team of the Year
    1x PFA Player of the Year
    1x PFA Young Player of the Year
    4 x Chelsea Player of the Year

He’ll be swinging the ball in for Rashford, as well as forming relationships with Baines on the Left Wing.

Eden Hazard!

Delighted to have this next pick aboard.

x3 Premier league winner.
    x6 PFA team of the year.
    x1 Player of the year 01/02
    Named in the team of the decade.
    Entered the English football Hall of Fame in 2014.
    Captain of the 'Invincibles'.

This man is going to be my captain, bringing physicality and leadership, as the driving force of the team. He will be the link between my defence and attack. There is literally nothing this man could not do on a football field.

He is... Patrick Vieira

I chose this man in the last draft game I played and I didn't want to be boring and pick him again, but I feel he's too tempting to pass up.

He's fifth on the Premier League all-time goalscorers list with 177 goals, this despite being a midfielder. He's also managed 102 PL assists, which makes him fourth all-time goal provider.

He managed double-digit goal hauls for ten straight seasons and holds the record for the most goals scored by a midfielder in a single season - 22, back in 09-10.

He's also scored more goals from outside the box than any Premier League player ever with 41 strikes, and has scored against more teams than any other player - 39 in total.

He won 3 titles with Chelsea and made the PFA Team of the Season three times as well. He is Chelsea's all-time leading goalscorer with 211 in all comps. It's time for him to take off the suit and tie and put the kit back on. Introducing...

GettyImages-85599786.jpg

...Frank Lampard.

With Kante now alongside him, he'll have plenty of license to get forward and do what he does best.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans
    6. Frank Lampard

• Advertisement

Didier Drogba

Layer_5_1024x1024.png?v=1544037996

Team
    Robertson
    Sane
    Neves
    Matip
    Soyuncu
    Drogba

Went about 5 different ways on this but think he's too good to turn down and will ensure that it will be very difficult for anyone to argue that they will be able to control the midfield against me. I don't think much has to be said about Paul Scholes that has not before.

Legends-Profile_Paul-Scholes61523463088257_thumb.jpg

I've been really torn on this choice as I really need a CF but a player made it through I never expected. So I've changed my plans and gone with one of only 2 players to have won POTY, YPOTY and FW POTY in the same season. He was unbelievable for a few seasons with Spurs before becoming the most expensive transfer of all time.

9LLvkWqHoma8tmGhFcqb2h-320-80.jpg

Gareth Bale

Will need to pick up my striker here and is there anyone better to lead the attack than the man who lead United to their last PL title.

Best striker in the league at his peak and the competition was fierce then.

Robin Van Persie

I knew from the beginning I would have second last pick in the special round, so was taking a risk banking on this guy not to get picked but I'm delighted he has come through to me, I am picking Yaya Toure.

hi-res-6ede98d2dc04805b38a7680905a017be_crop_north.jpg?1525438991&w=3072&h=2048

3 Premier League titles, two of which he was hugely influential and was named in PFA Team of the Season for both years. He scored 20 goals in the league the 13/14 season which is crazy for a midfielder, I would guess only Lampard has done better from midfield in a single season. At his peak he was one of the most influential players in the league and he was able to run games. He offers a big physical presence in the midfield and has the ability to drive and carry the ball through midfield which is something I like in a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Had to double check he wasn't taken yet as I hadn't planned on him getting this far. My next pick is Wayne Rooney!

My next pick Is a gamble tactically and I have flip flopped on him a couple of times at this stage. But think he will work well alternating positions with Rooney who loved drifting out to the left. My next pick is Gabriel Jesus

Had to think about this one a good bit, I am going to pick Willian as I feel wingers are going to start drying up very fast.

1_Willian.jpg

He is a player I have always really rated, hard working, quick and tricky winger who likes to stay wide and can play on either wing. He will provide something very different to Mata on the otherside who will drift inside.

Has won 2 PL titles where he was a regular in the Chelsea side, Chelsea players player of the year twice as well and has held down a regular starting spot for Brazil for all of that time.

Can play from the left, can move into the strikers position at times. Will give my front 3 a lot of flexibility when attacking.

Tony Martial, he came from France,
    English press said he had no chance,
    50 million down the drain,
    Tony Martial scores again..

Anthony Martial

Finally picking my CF now and happy to get this guy into my team. Been unlucky with injuries but has been a consistent scorer in this time in the EPL and would be playing for a top 6 team but for injuries I feel.

callum-wilson.jpg?w=640&h=480&auto=compress,format&fit=clip

Callum Wilson

• Advertisement

This is a tough one as I have 3 others who I've actually put down and will be picked before mine comes.

Oh well. I always seem to wind up with him, may have slowed down in recent years but at his best he was a top shot stopper and his distribution was great.

Hugo Lloris
    skysports-hugo-lloris-tottenham_4917453.jpg

James Maddison

Going to turn towards my attack now and I spotted this player on the books of Bournemouth a few rounds back and hoped he'd fly under the radar. He's on the books of the Cherries until June 30th, so I felt he'd be a clever pick. I had him for a Draft game I did over a decade ago and he served me well then.

He's been a dangerous striker in the Premier League for well over a decade and is ranked 8th on the all-time PL goalscorers list with 162 goals.

He's sixth on the list of Tottenham's all-time goalscorers and is fondly remembered there, and had great seasons at Portsmouth and Sunderland too - remarkably, he managed 15 goals in two consecutive seasons at Sunderland at a time when they were pretty awful.

Introducing...

187274381-jermain-defoe-of-spurs-celebrates-scoring-their-second_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85

...Jermain Defoe.

I always preferred him playing off a partner and I think he'll do well alongside Jimenez.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans
    6. Frank Lampard
    7. Jermain Defoe

My next pick although only 28 now, probably and sadly reached his peak at a very early age. What a peak it was though!!

Arsenal player of the year 2010/11
    PFA Team of the year 2010/11
    PFA Young player of the year 2010/11

This man was known for his quick combination play, good passing range and technical ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu6B0M_iU6g

'An English heart with Spanish technique' said one Arsene Wenger.

He is... Jack Wilshere

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Next up into Daithi’s XI is Leicester’s playmaker, Youri Tielemans!

Having intentionally joined on loan, he became Leicester’s most expensive signing at the start of last season. In his time in the league, he’s got 9 assists and 6 goals, and with Belgian International team mate, Hazard, to his left, he’ll be also slipping the ball into Rashford to score the goals

Now entering Round 7 in this a current premier league draft and honestly I did not think this guy would still be available. Why? Cos top quality full backs are already a premium and hugely important given the huge array of attacking talent (especially after that Legends round) spread around the teams in this so a player who is Englands current starting LB being free to pick is a surprise especially when you consider that Leicester's left back was linked to (mostly) Chelsea and (often) City for around 60m usually.

Alongside Rudiger and Laporte he gives me a very strong defensive base and he of course is...
    Ben Chilwell

source.gif

team so far

abTLzgDaiF.png

• Advertisement

Very much a pick based on this season’s form but he’s shown his quality in spells before that too, I’m going to add some real danger out wide here and go for arguably the most entertaining player to watch in the Premier League, and someone described by Klopp as “unplayable”. My next pick is:

tottenham-hotspur-v-wolverhampton-wanderers-premier-league-5e9dcd3ec83304a6a8000001.jpg

Adama Traore

Team so far:
    Pereira
    Terry
    Digne
    Fernandinho
    D.Silva
    Traore
    Lacazette

Time to almost finish my defence slotting in at left back is England International Danny Rose

0_GettyImages-1183949074.jpg

Danny Rose, Aubemayang , Bruno, Kompany, Bellerin, Kovacic

I don't think this person has been picked yet from what I could see so apologies if I missed it!

I'm going with one of the best defensive RB in the league. It can only be....

WAN B

My seventh Pick was an integral part of Manchester City's success Pre-Guardiola. He was first choice from 2010-2016, winning the league twice and picking up an impressive 4 Golden Gloves. Tall and agile, a winner and a leader, he is Joe Hart.

24144812-0-image-a-5_1580500762901.jpg

My eighth pick is a prime example of the modern attacking full back. A member of the Man City Squad that achieved 198 points over two seasons, winning the title both times. While he has had major injury problems, when fit he has been an essential part of the City XI, providing the attacking drive from full back which Pep demands. Quick and tough, a strong dribbler and a superb crosser of the ball, he will provide support down my left flank for Son. He is Benjamin Mendy.

189531.jpg

1. Raheem Sterling
    2. Son Heung-min
    3. Nemanja Matic
    4. Joe Gomez
    5. David Luiz
    6. Luis Suarez
    7. Joe Hart
    8. Benjamin Mendy

• Advertisement
Advertisement