Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft - SELECTION THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It's time to start looking at CB and I'm very happy this player was still available.

Willy Boly!

Shanotheslayer - Milner, Mahrez, Richarlison, De Gea, Tammy Abraham, Steven Gerrard, Wan B, Willy Boly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ill pick

Gylfi Sigurdsson

GettyImages-1170961607.jpg

GK
    DR Bellerin
    CB
    CB Komapny
    LB Danny Rose
    MF Kovacic
    MF Sigurdsson
    AM : Bruno
    LW Zaha
    CF Aubemayang
    RW

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mata has been selected already

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Going to complete my front three now and I’ll go for a player who really suits the style of football I want my team playing, and a man I think has been underrated by many during his spell in English football. A Premier League winner and a proven goalscorer from out wide, and he’s been a workhorse for Chelsea since he arrived, my next pick is:

pedro-chelsea-2019-20_uxq7puqfe6ai1jpmmlvykz4pm.jpg?t=-1108530528&quality=100

Pedro

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ok I've got some pretty decent players all round the pitch so it's time to take the plunge and go for a goalkeeper to back them all up.

Now I could talk about how this player is a Premier league winner, how he was his clubs POTY the following year and his national teams POTY both those years... but I could also just talk about how nice that name of his looks behind my back line. Hard to believe he is already 33 given how much I still think of his Dad when I hear his name

I am of course referring to...
    Kasper Schmeichel

tumblr_ovb2ihSp7t1tf8a5ao1_500.gif?resize=585%2C378

abTLVCwabj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Next to join Daithi's XI is a former Premier League winner with Leicester. A player, who would admit himself, has not lived up to his form since leaving Leicester.

Next draftee is.. Danny Drinkwater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Next up is my goalkeeper pick.

Consistently excellent over a number of years for Stoke. A commanding presence and a very good shot stopper.

Was in the Guinness World Records in 2015 too :)

He is... Asmir Begovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I want a defender with some attacking attributes on my left flank to complement Doherty on the opposing side, and I think this man fits the bill well.

His 3 goals this season puts him joint-fourth in the scoring charts for defenders, one behind Alonso, Doherty and Van Dijk. And he consistently ranks as one of the most dangerous players for his position, with 20 goals and 12 assists in his 6 PL seasons. All the more impressive considering he notched up those returns playing for Sunderland and Crystal Palace.

Earlier this season he made history by becoming the first player to score a stoppage time winning goal against Man United at Old Trafford.

Introducing...

Patrick-van-Aanholt.jpg?width=930&height=620

...Patrick van Aanholt.

He's useful at set-pieces too and should provide a handy threat on the counter.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans
    6. Frank Lampard
    7. Jermain Defoe
    8. Patrick van Aanholt

Lucas Moura

manchester-united-v-tottenham-hotspur-premier-league-5b8a9f85ea94f2a7fb000001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Deliberated over this one a bit, but going to go for Wes Morgan, premier League winning captain.

_90453492_wesmorgan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Delighted to see this player make it back to me, he was a model of consistency for Everton for years and was a regular starter for England winning over 40 caps in an era of brilliant English CB's. He completes a great CB pairing who would be able for any attack and will also give me an aerial attacking threat from corners and FK's.

509975472.0.jpg

Phil Jagielka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Gonna have to take what I think is the best left back left on the board.

Stepped up his game pretty well this season when under threat for his place and has been one of United's better performers

Luke Shaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'll go Davinson Sanchez to play right sided centre back.

Davinson-Sanchez.jpg

Vertonghens club mate, very different defender to him and they will work well together as one is more aggressive and proactive whereas the other will sit back and read the game more. Sanchez is quick for a centre back as well which will be important considering some of the players selected in the draft with some people having very pacy teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Naby Keita

Smalling

Nathaniel Clyne

nathaniel_clyne_of_liverpool_during_a_preseason_friendly_match_b_505079.jpg

He has definitely become a forgotten man in the past few seasons due to injuries and the emergence of TAA, but Clyne was one of the best right backs in the league during his time at Southampton and his first two years at Liverpool. Very solid defensively which will be important with Mata ahead of him.

Gonna go with another player from United who has seen an improvement to his game recently.

He has build a nice partnership with Maguire so should be able to forge a really good one with Van Dijk

Victor Lindelof

On mobile so will be brief, title winning left back who was one of the best in his position in the league for a few years. Will give excellent defensive cover to Bale.

Christian Fuchs

Tough choice again as there's a few I'd like to have taken and even considered a formation change for one of them.

Alas, my pick can cover both the defensive midfield and left back position that I still have open so at this time will provide flexibility on my next couple of picks.

Fabian Delph

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR1slaF9PCYFdtl9KzfesMEThnyhQj685FqxHsnZvDotr-GIdDP&usqp=CAU

• Advertisement

🎵Who likes short shorts? 🎵 Jack Grealish

GettyImages-1201057234.jpg

Pleasantly surprised this player is still available. He's been one of the standout young players of recent seasons and is comfortable operating in midfield or defence.

Despite only being 21, he has chalked up 90 appearances in the Premier League at his club , West Ham, where he was voted their Young Player of the Year two seasons in a row. Last season he was shortlisted for the Premier League's Young Player of the Year award.

He consistently ranks highly for tackles won, and only Ndidi has won more of them than him for midfield players this season. Introducing...

skysports-declan-rice-west-ham_4926803.jpg?20200221173832

...Declan Rice.

His ability to operate seamlessly between midfield and defence should prove useful.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans
    6. Frank Lampard
    7. Jermain Defoe
    8. Patrick van Aanholt
    9. Declan Rice

My next pick I believe is a very under rated player.
    He may not do anything spectacular but he is a very versatile player who fits perfectly into the system I am looking to play.
    He has played two full seasons as a centre half and has played the rest as a defensive midfielder.
    Adding more physicality and aggression to the team, this man compliments the players already chosen, in freeing up my wing backs to play higher up the pitch.

He is... Eric Dier

Gonna draft Adam Lallana to complete my midfield. Good balance there with Drinkwater sitting in front of the back 4, Tielemans playing the through balls to Rashford!

He may idiotically post pictures of himself breaking quarantine rules or assault a police officer in Paris but that aside he's actually a decent footballer and to be able to land Spurs starting RB in the 9th round is a pretty good get imo and completes a pretty solid defence

by Spurs starting RB I of course mean...
    Serge Aurier

tenor.gif?itemid=10962040

Team so far

abTMRWuao8.png

Going to complete my midfield now with what I consider to be a very shrewd pick at this stage in the draft. It’s a selection that puts quality firmly in front of longevity, but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to create an all Man City midfield as the beating heart of my team. It’s only his first season in the Premier League but he’s shown more than enough to prove his worth already, so my next pick is:

TC2WLEJY3FDJDFJPKEPTGKF53Q.jpg

Rodri

Team so far:

514099.jpeg

• Advertisement

To partner Vincent Kompany I pick Nathan Ake

1215960.jpg
    GK
    DC Ake
    DC Kompany
    LB Danny Rose
    RB Bellerin
    LW Zaha
    CM Kovacic
    CM Sigurdsson
    AM Bruno
    RW
    Aubemayang

Slotting in beside his former club captain is a much maligned centre half who has played for england and done enough early in his career at Everton to earn a 50million pound move to Man City he is John Stones

1186947131.jpg.0.jpg

GK
    DC Stones
    DC Kompany
    LB Danny Rose
    RB Bellerin
    LW Zaha
    CM Kovacic
    CM Sigurdsson
    AM Bruno
    RW
    Aubemayang

Fairly sure Stones was picked already

Happy to bring on board a player I've always wanted at Everton.

No nonsense defender.

Winston Reid!

My ninth pick is a player who has improved year on year and has quietly established himself as one of Manchester United's most important. Well known for his strength and aggression in the middle of the pitch, he has expanded his game this season to improve his range of passing and is well capable of driving forward and chipping in with a goal, contributing 4 so far this season. I expect him to contribute a little bit of everything in my midfield, he is Scott McTominay.

2_BESTPIX-European-Best-Pictures-Of-The-Day-February-28.jpg

My tenth pick is a player who has benifitted from Frank Lampard's trust in youth at Chelsea this season. Undoubtedly a player who's best years are still ahead of him, he still been very impresssive playing at right back for Chelsea this season, showing a flair for getting forward and supporting the attack while remaining defensively solid. He is Reece James.

386671.jpg

1. Raheem Sterling
    2. Son Heung-min
    3. Nemanja Matic
    4. Joe Gomez
    5. David Luiz
    6. Luis Suarez
    7. Joe Hart
    8. Benjamin Mendy
    9. Scott McTominay
    10. Reece James

• Advertisement

Edited Pick:

Andre Gomes! He's slick, he's sexy.

Can be equally frustrating and devastating on the same day but slotting in at RW in my team is Theo Walcott

TELEMMGLPICT000150377206_trans%2B%2BkzRVrpaG8pgYx8zuruU0oLxVMM-N2Dh3uu4C0ivbnMw.jpeg

Going to select my goalkeeper now, and I believe I’ve found a great fit for my system with this man. In his second season in English football now, and while he was prone to an error at times in his debut campaign, he’s looked much stronger in goal this year and is without question one of the very best shot-stoppers in the league. My 10th pick is:

Bernd-Leno-Save-Tottenham-Arsenal-North-London-Derby.jpg

Bernd Leno

For my penultimate pick I am adding a tenacious player who will add extra hard work for the team and with Jorginho in midfield will allow Ozil focus on what he does best and that is set up the likes of Henry & Kane.

This player like most at his club slowed down a little as the wheels began to come off the Emery train but when he first arrived he looked amazing so much so that he got 5 consecutive man of the match awards in a run of games that included Liverpool, Spurs and Man Utd and then capped it off by scoring a bicylce kick in his next game (Vs Hudderfield).

I draft...
    Lucas Torreria

0_Premier-League-Arsenal-v-Liverpool.jpg

AppropriateFocusedItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Lil fecker doesn't give up
    BlandGleefulGrouper-max-1mb.gif

team so far

abTNrLKajB.png

The second last man to join Daithi’s XI on the right of Midfield is a former Premier League Winner.

He started his Premiership Career with Wigan for 2.5 seasons. His fine displays for Wigan got him a move to Chelsea for around £10m.

It took a few years for his Chelsea Career to get going, via Liverpool, Stoke and West Ham!

Next up is.... Victor Moses!

This has probably been the hardest decision to date, as I didn't think there would be as many players left on my list in this position.
    Eventually it came down to two. I have gone with this man, more underrated and a less obvious pick, he fits into the team better overall.

West Ham player of the year 2016/2017.
    Has a much better scoring record than I thought, with nearly a goal every four games. Injuries have stopped this man getting into double figures for goals in a couple of seasons. He has played all down the right side and even up front, making West Ham a much more dangerous team when he is fit.

He is going to add more pace and power to the team.

He is... Michail Antonio

Going for my goalie now and delighted this man is still available.

In his first season in the Premier League, he went on to record 12 clean sheets, won both his club's annual 'Player of the Year' and 'Players' Player of the Year' awards and earned a call-up to the England squad. He was the only keeper that season with more than 20 appearances not to make an error leading to a shot.

A dislocated shoulder ruled him out of the following season, but he showed his strength by coming back an even better player. Prior to the pandemic hitting, he was leading the race for the Golden Glove award with 11 clean sheets, and had been shortlisted for February’s Player of the Month accolade.

As well as being an impressive shot-stopper, he has a great command of his area and leads the way when claiming the ball, with ten more than his nearest rival. His displays have helped Burnley to a top ten position and there was a growing clamour for Southgate to make him his number one for the Euros, prior to them being cancelled.

Introducing…

Nick-Pope-Burnley.png?width=930&height=620

...Nick Pope.

PlaintiveSeparateAphid-size_restricted.gif

He should be a dependable last line of defence for my side.

OGC Nice Guys:

1. N'Golo Kante
    2. Raul Jimenez
    3. Cesar Azpilicueta
    4. Matt Doherty
    5. Jonny Evans
    6. Frank Lampard
    7. Jermain Defoe
    8. Patrick van Aanholt
    9. Declan Rice
    10. Nick Pope

buddy-murphy-on-working-with-paul-heyman.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.

I bring to you the NEXT BIG THING, BRRRROCK LES...

Max Aarons

GettyImages-1179558830.jpg

Going to pick someone who I think is great value at this stage and is a very impressive player who suits the style on the wing with Firmino dropping into the false 9 position. A player who has earned his callup to the Portugal team with some impressive performances the last couple of years.

Diogo Jota

FlatObeseImperatorangel-size_restricted.gif

Finally filling a problem position in this draft before this guy is taken. Been one of the better players for his team over the past 5 years while also helping Portugal win the Euros in 2016.

cedric-soares.jpg?w=640&h=480&auto=compress,format&fit=clip

Cedric Soares

• Advertisement

Gonna take a man who has brilliant for Watford especially when pushed a little further forward.

Capable of doing a job as a more destructive force or a more bullish advanced midfielder getting into the box so It will give my midfield the ability to switch between more defensive and more attacking shapes.

Welcome Abdoulaye Doucouré

At the start of the draft I made out a list of players at each position, this guy was the fourth left back down on my list so I am glad to be getting him when ten or eleven of you already have your left backs picked. I left this until last (apart from keeper) as I felt left back was a position there was a lot of depth and I guess the point above proves that.

Ryan Bertrand

A Champions League and Europa League winner at Chelsea, but it was really at Southampton where he reached his peak and was selected for the PFA team of the season in his first year there. Since then he has become one of the most consistent left backs in the Premier League, who was constantly linked with moves to bigger clubs in the league. Southampton might not have done great the last year or two but in Bertrands first three seasons they finished 7th, 6th & 8th, he has built up over 200 PL appearances and 19 caps for England in the process too and I'm very happy to complete my outfield players with him.

GettyImages-1148766649.jpg?width=640

Fairly happy to get this guy so late in the draft. He is in my opinion a quality left back that will add an attacking threat to the team and should fit in very well to how I want to play.

Jonny Otto amore as is just know as Jonny

Always intended on leaving my GK to the last pick. I am surprised by the quality that is still left in this position and I have the choice of my top two picks on my shortlist (knowing the likes of alison and Anderson would go sooner)

Chelsea's number 1 Kepa Arrizabalaga

Not much between a lot of the keepers left at this point and there is fairly good range of options left. Outside of probably the top 3 or 4 keepers I don't think there was a need to choose a keeper earlier in the draft.

Rui Patricio

1_Wolverhampton-Wanderers-v-Southampton-FC-Premier-League.jpg

Agile shotstopper who exudes confidence in his defence, good distributor and a real leader from the back, has had two good seasons in the league now and has been Portugals no.1 for the best part of the last decade.

My last pick will be a man who has started replacing Coleman at Everton.

Was in Frances squad for their World Cup win

Djibril Sidibé

Tough call for my last player in RW/RM, was debating between 2 guys but think this guy had moire consistency especially in his early career. Was the youngest player to make his debut at the time and nominated for EPL young POTY 3 years in a row in his first 3 seasons at Spurs. He maybe never quite fulfilled his potential but at his prime he an excellent attacker.

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F60b34fb3-bd29-4a6f-8a00-ad8822a91373.jpg?crop=580%2C350%2C0%2C0&resize=412

Aaron Lennon

Had a few options across a couple of positions to close off my team. Delph will be reprising his role at left back as I'm going to draft a Serbian international player who has been a major cog at one of the best defensive teams in the league across 3 seasons. Very underrated in his ability and is technically very sound. Another captain on my team and leadership across the back 5 is unmatched with all having captained their team.

Perfect to be at the base of my midfield and provide stability and recycle the ball to Scholes and AOC is Luka Milivojević
    Large

Martin Dubravka

Dubravka-1024x576.jpg

• Advertisement

My last pick will complete my defence and I'm pleased this man is still available. He was widely praised for his debut season at United, and while injuries have dogged him since then, his quality when he has played has been evident. He returned in February of this year against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and despite being out for nearly 300 days he produced an immense performance to help United win 2-0. When fully fit, he is quality; he can carry the ball forward and is calm under pressure. Introducing...

bailly-che-mun-1920.png?width=860&height=573

...Eric Bailly.

He should prove a nice bridge between defence and midfield.

GlassCompetentBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

MammothBlackandwhiteAlbacoretuna-size_restricted.gif

And with that, OGC Nice Guys' team is complete:

abTNMpvapv.png

Cheers to H2DPB for getting the game up and running. It's been a nice distraction thinking about the players available. Looking forward to the next phase of the game.

Advertisement