Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for a raised planter ?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All,
    I would be grateful if anyone could recommend the correct timber to use for a raised planting bed ?
    Kind Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hi All,
    I would be grateful if anyone could recommend the correct timber to use for a raised planting bed ?
    Kind Regards

A lot of people use railway sleepers.... You need something that can withstand the pressure of the soil and capable of enduring the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I used scaffolding planks for my beds and interlocked them like the link below. They’ve lasted years so far.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-build-a-raised-vegetable-bed/

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

A lot of people use railway sleepers.... You need something that can withstand the pressure of the soil and capable of enduring the weather.

Wouldn't use sleepers if you intend growing anything edible; creosote etc in the timber. Otherwise they're fine.

johnb25 wrote: »
    Wouldn't use sleepers if you intend growing anything edible; creosote etc in the timber. Otherwise they're fine.

Interesting.
    I have 2beds made with them.No mention of tainted food.

This is from RHS

Railway sleepers: It is no longer permitted to use railway sleepers impregnated with creosote in garden, due to the risk associated with frequent (daily) skin contact. If you already have raised beds made from old railway sleepers and have this level of contact, then protective clothing (gloves etc.) should be worn. For new beds, use sleepers treated with other preservatives, or untreated hardwood sleepers. Note that this material requires heavy lifting.

New railway sleepers may contain creosote that should not be used where skin contact is a possibility. Creosote is thought to have dissipated from older sleepers, and these may be used without concern about skin contact.

Advertisement