Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miroku

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Well the latest in my saga is the gun is held up in customs:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Well the latest in my saga is the gun is held up in customs:(

Probably a back-log with this covid thing.

Apparently its in a shipment of guns and one had the Sn recorded wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Such an epic saga to import a gun..
    Are u sorry yet you didn’t just buy something off the shelves of an Irish RFD?

No not sorry at all.I am buying it from a local RFD.
    Alas when the process started we were in lockdown so everything had to be done via Email etc
    Also no RFDs had what I wanted so I suppose I could have bought a gun I didnt want or a cheap piece**** of I didnt like but where is the challenge in that:)

• Advertisement

No not sorry at all.I am buying it from a local RFD.
    Alas when the process started we were in lockdown so everything had to be done via Email etc
    Also no RFDs had what I wanted so I suppose I could have bought a gun I didnt want or a cheap piece**** of I didnt like but where is the challenge in that:)

You are correct, buy the gun you want, not what the dealers want you to buy because they have one gathering dust on their shelves.

Fair enough

Cheers Guys :):)

I’m surprised no Irish dealer had a new MK 38 on their racks. Once upon a time they were a staple of clay shooting. 3 other brands beginning with ‘B’ seem to dominate the stands now. The old MK38 would still hold its own against any of them.

I’m surprised no Irish dealer had a new MK 38 on their racks. Once upon a time they were a staple of clay shooting. 3 other brands beginning with ‘B’ seem to dominate the stands now. The old MK38 would still hold its own against any of them.

Had a Miroku years ago and still kick my self that i sold it on. Excellent Japanese engineering.

• Advertisement

I first looked at the MK38 trap and then the sporter models and they were few and far between.
    There were a couple of second hand ones and they were pretty pricey
    I came across one new grade5 but I couldent justify the almost double the price
    Only option then was to order one through RFD and got a few quotes
    Because of the Virus lockdown in Japan there was a delay
    So thats where I am now- waiting for RFD to clear it through Customs
    Will be worth the wait tho:)

I have it
    It came with 5 chokes-3 extended and 2 flush
    Just figuring out what Skeet,modified etc mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I have it
    It came with 5 chokes-3 extended and 2 flush
    Just figuring out what Skeet,modified etc mean :)

Here you go: Enjoy the gun.

https://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/choke-tube-identification.html

Cheers Ros.It came with plus chokes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Cheers Ros.It came with plus chokes

To be honest Paul, you will get away with 1/4 and 1/2 for 99.9% of sporting targets. I haven't changed my chokes from 1/4, 1/2 for clays in 3 years for sporting.

1/4 in the bottom and 1/2 in the top and I shoot bottom barrel first.

The only time I would move to 3/4 choke is when on the Pigeons and they are not coming in as close as I would like.

OK have had a good look and here is what came with the gun
    Browning flush chokes-Skeet and Full-both marked lead
    Teague extended in the gun-I mod in under barrel-I cyl in over and Mod in the box

Choke-Chart-1024x186.png

Cheers Tudder

So it looks like
    Improved cyl in bottom barrel
    Modified in top
    Equals 1/4 and 1/2 should be a good mix as Ziabr said

Don't get too hung up on chokes, i've seen lads miss a few clays and out comes the box of chokes and the spanner and the twiddling starts. I have a shotgun, fixed choke and i have not a clue what chokes the barrels are. If you do your part and are using decent cartridges, you should hit the target.

• Advertisement

OK so will stick with 1/4 and 1/2 then

OK so will stick with 1/4 and 1/2 then

Yes, you wont go far wrong with them. And what tuddone mentions is 100% right. Don't get too caught up with chokes, the biggest advice I can give is work on your technique and gun mount. Get the gun mounting in the same place each time and you will hit targets.

Enjoy the gun Paul and welcome to the sport.

Thanks guys
    Someone suggested I get lessons-any thoughts

Thanks guys
    Someone suggested I get lessons-any thoughts

If you have never shot before. 1 or 2 lessons wont hurt. They will likely work on your mount and stance/posture to get you aiming in the right areas. If your gun club does lessons, as a member they shouldn't cost alot and would be worth it for a first time shooter.

Up to the local clay ground then:)

Get an experienced shooter to watch you breaking a few clays. The most common flaw is stopping your swing as you pull the trigger, leading to missing well behind the target.

Well Covid struck and Clay club only open to members-good grief it has tried my patience:).Will have to wait a bit longer
    Just a thought-when I put the gun together it is all very tight.I spose because it is brand new
    Should I clean off the factory packing stuff and give it a bit of lube?

It’ll take a few boxes of cartridges to run in and loosen a bit
    As for the factory oil I’d leave it on the action parts, lightly wipe away what you think is excessive, after all you don’t want it on your clothes. Try not to get on the wood
    Also any chance you could post a few pics ?

Will do when I figure out how:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Well Covid struck and Clay club only open to members-good grief it has tried my patience:).Will have to wait a bit longer
    Just a thought-when I put the gun together it is all very tight.I spose because it is brand new
    Should I clean off the factory packing stuff and give it a bit of lube?

Just make sure you clean the grease out of the barrels. Also, get some choke/high temperature grease on the threads of the chokes.

Advertisement