Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Jobseekers

Options
  • 06-05-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hello everyone. These are strange times.

I am in my 30s and doing a full-time graduate course. I want to work for the summer, but my plans to work in hospitality or admin for ticket sales (what I was doing before) seem completely shot now.

Will I have any issues getting a jobseeker's payment when I put down that I'm a full-time mature student? I have submitted an application already with proof of student registration, proof of my exam timetable, proof of address and 6 months of bank statements.

If I manage to get a part-time job, what payments will I be entitled to for my days off?

Can I get rent supplement during the summer as student?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Hello everyone. These are strange times.

I am in my 30s and doing a full-time graduate course. I want to work for the summer, but my plans to work in hospitality or admin for ticket sales (what I was doing before) seem completely shot now.

Will I have any issues getting a jobseeker's payment when I put down that I'm a full-time mature student? I have submitted an application already with proof of student registration, proof of my exam timetable, proof of address and 6 months of bank statements.

If I manage to get a part-time job, what payments will I be entitled to for my days off?

Can I get rent supplement during the summer as student?

Thanks!

Normally full-time students are disqualified from Jobseekers and Rent Supplement (unless they are on specific schemes). This includes during summer period.

However, mature students (those over 23 at the start of their course) are exempt from this disqualification in between academic years, so you should be able to get both payments provided you are available and looking for full-time work. You can work up to three days each week and retain some Jobseekers entitlement. How this will affect your payment depends on whether you are on Jobseekers Allowance or Jobseekers Benefit. THe former is means tested with the first 20 euro for each day discounted and 60% of the balance deducted. For the latter, they take 1/5 of your weekly payment off you for each day you work. Once you work more than three days, you lose your payment entirely.

The rules for Rent Supplement are different. You can earn an additional 75 Euro each week without it affecting your payment. Once you go above this amount, you lose 75% of the additional amount. You lose Rent Supplement entirely if you work more than 30 hours.

Advertisement