Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer not reopening locker rooms after COVID

Options
  • 06-05-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Wondering about your thoughts on this one, again I feel cyclists are not being given a fair deal at my workplace as we have no one doing our bidding.

Employer is a large multinational with great gym and locker room facilities. In efforts to return people to work the gym will remain closed along with lockers/showers and drying room. This would mean cyclists may have to rely on public transport for a period of time until things get back to normal.

I'm disappointed as this would have been an opportunity to encourage cycling which is an excellent example of socially distant commuting and vital to the health of our society, any moves we make to discourage cycling during the return period would be regressive.

The company's move to keep the facilities closed reflects the country wide approach to gyms and swimming pools and in this event it is disappointing that cycling as transport is being treated as not 'necessary'.

Perhaps this will have a long standing impact, as I'm opening this up for discussion what other viewpoints can this bee seen from other than my own??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

It sounds counterproductive. You are more likely to be exposed on public transport.

Coming in on a bike means you are less likely to bring the virus in.

Gyms have to stay closed but locker rooms and showers should be fine as long as cleaning and the 2 metre distancing rule is in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not sure i'd want to share a changing room with other cyclists in the current climate. i know some people where i work are not quite as diligent as others when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd see it (unfortunately) wrapped up in the gym protocol.

Like if they can't guarantee it's safety do you really want to use it?

What about cycling in and just getting changed in the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

bingobars wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Wondering about your thoughts on this one, again I feel cyclists are not being given a fair deal at my workplace as we have no one doing our bidding.

Employer is a large multinational with great gym and locker room facilities. In efforts to return people to work the gym will remain closed along with lockers/showers and drying room. This would mean cyclists may have to rely on public transport for a period of time until things get back to normal.

I'm disappointed as this would have been an opportunity to encourage cycling which is an excellent example of socially distant commuting and vital to the health of our society, any moves we make to discourage cycling during the return period would be regressive.

The company's move to keep the facilities closed reflects the country wide approach to gyms and swimming pools and in this event it is disappointing that cycling as transport is being treated as not 'necessary'.

Perhaps this will have a long standing impact, as I'm opening this up for discussion what other viewpoints can this bee seen from other than my own??

They are not opening the gym and shower facilities to anyone so struggling to see how you’ve taken this a a slight against cyclists as the same could be said for people walking or running to work.

Communal showers will take a long time to return maybe even beyond August due tothe cleaning necessary after each use.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

amdublin wrote: »
    I'd see it (unfortunately) wrapped up in the gym protocol.

Like if they can't guarantee it's safety do you really want to use it?

What about cycling in and just getting changed in the toilet?

Nothing would stop me from doing this but common sense and hygiene..
    Perhaps I should ask would it be ok for me to do so for a response ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

This is one situation where I would go ahead and do it without asking, If challenged shrug your shoulders and say what am I supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

benneca1 wrote: »
    This is one situation where I would go ahead and do it without asking, If challenged shrug your shoulders and say what am I supposed to do.

So endanger himself and others sounds like an ideal way to be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Could be time to invest in a electric bike or a cheap conversion, or just have have a chilled out ride in.

Option gross is a good spray of 96hr deodorant which I discovered during the lockdown does exactly what it says on the tin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What the vast majority of cyclists that commute by bike and don't have showers/locker rooms do. Suck it up and use a sink if you must

I don't think OP is to concerned about the merits of cycling to work I just think it's inconvenient for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What the vast majority of cyclists that commute by bike and don't have showers/locker rooms do. Suck it up and use a sink if you must

I would imagine the vast majority of cyclists do have showers - unless you are having a gentle cycle in over what could be walking distance, not viable to not have a shower!

@OP Have you asked your employer why they made this decision? Is it possible they haven’t thought about showers/changing facilities being used by those cycling/running to work and assume it’s 100% linked to the gym?
    It’s like closing the car park or the shuttle bus if they have and impacts ability to get to work! I’d imagine that any reasonable employer would realise this once asked. If facilities management are not helpful go higher within your company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

And if you meet another twenty people in the locker room with your point of view when you arrive will you complain to your employer that it not on on that nobody is following the rules or will you shrug your shoulders and risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

YakerK wrote: »
    I would imagine the vast majority of cyclists do have showers - unless you are having a gentle cycle in over what could be walking distance, not viable to not have a shower!

@OP Have you asked your employer why they made this decision? Is it possible they haven’t thought about showers/changing facilities being used by those cycling/running to work and assume it’s 100% linked to the gym?
    It’s like closing the car park or the shuttle bus if they have and impacts ability to get to work! I’d imagine that any reasonable employer would realise this once asked. If facilities management are not helpful go higher within your company.

Presumably based off national public health advice? They aren't doing it just because they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

F34 wrote: »
    So endanger himself and others sounds like an ideal way to be shown the door.

How is not showering after cycling in a cause for dismissal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I doubt it and why wouldn't it be viable without? I know many that do commute by bike without showers. In fact more than those that commute with.

@OP Have you asked your employer why they made this decision?

I'm in the process of highlighting this the moment. They did not consider those who commute by bicycle in the decision IMO.

My commute is a 20km hilly sweat inducing leg burner, if it was a handy cruise across town I wouldn't be bothered about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Where I work, there is only room for two people at a time in the locker/shower room. So, if this happens to us, it wouldn't be that hard to use a simple one-at-a time system. If the area is much bigger, then work out how many can use it safely at the same time. You could put a sheet of paper on the door with a pen, and get everyone to sign in and sign out. Sooner or later employers with these facilities will have to make compromises like this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

I think you are expecting too much. We are all making sacrifices. Your employer is correct and has to think of the workforce as a whole. Think the way things are many people would envy you still having a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think he/she is expecting too much at all. It'll be inconvenient, and an effort, but it can be done with a bit of thought and a virtual queuing system of some sort. Alternative is wet wipes and a towel, does the job for a whole different profession.

The whole just be thankful you have a job is a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Baby-wipes and a toilet cubicle should do the trick

Nothing would stop me from doing this but common sense and hygiene..
    Perhaps I should ask would it be ok for me to do so for a response ;)

Why do you need to ask permission what you do in a toilet cubicle :confused: Will you be asking them can you do a number 2 next :pac:

Just go in to the cubicle with baby wipes, get changed and spray some deodorant and bob's your uncle.

I did it for years when I worked somewhere that had no showering facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Baby-wipes and a toilet cubicle should do the trick

Exactly this.

Learn the areas of your body that generate sweat and target them with baby wipes. Shower when you get home from work.

Been doing it for years on 20-40km commutes. Like the other poster said most places don't have shower facilities for cycling commuters so you gotta adapt. Once you do it's no problem at all.

amdublin wrote: »
    Why do you need to ask permission what you do in a toilet cubicle :confused: Will you be asking them can you do a number 2 next :pac:

Just go in to the cubicle with baby wipes, get changed and spray some deodorant and bob's your uncle.

I did it for years when I worked somewhere that had no showering facilities.

I guess I'm quite self conscious about hygiene, ill also have to address the drying of my gear which would be part of my query

I guess I'm quite self conscious about hygiene, ill also have to address the drying of my gear which would be part of my query

If it was me I would just put them into a sports bag and straight in to the washing machine when I came home.

I guess you will need to bring in a second set of gear to cycle home in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No they don't, it is a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

If you can work from home in the first place (assuming with large multinationals you can), then why are they even making you come in to the office? Surely that would be a bigger issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

A lot of companies are not fans, generally speaking, of remote working. The consensus among management is that it has a negative impact on company culture.

They say a good culture has a lot of business value, and many companies struggle with this already, with changing tech, high turnover etc.

Our MD said yesterday things will change in terms of flexibility but he won't be pushing for widespread remote working.

CramCycle wrote: »
    No they don't, it is a rarity.

Some peoples hygiene standards obviously differ from mine! I've never had a workplace without shower facilities. My line of work has me moving between different companies' offices fairly regularly so I've seen my fair share of offices and I cycle in mostly and never had one that didn't have facilities. In my student days I previously worked on large farms and in retail and they always had also. Anyone I know who cycles or runs to work have shower and changing facilities. The quality varies, but 100% of workplaces I've worked had something, so certainly not a minority of places in my experience.

Not the point of this conversation though, I don't think the OPs request is in anyway unreasonable, and notwithstanding why they need to go in, I'd say it's a basic request and requirement for a workplace and with some accommodation on side of both the employer and employee (such as putting in place a queuing system and abiding by that), I can't see how this is a problem for any reasonable employer to facilitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

plodder wrote: »
    Where I work, there is only room for two people at a time in the locker/shower room. So, if this happens to us, it wouldn't be that hard to use a simple one-at-a time system. If the area is much bigger, then work out how many can use it safely at the same time. You could put a sheet of paper on the door with a pen, and get everyone to sign in and sign out. Sooner or later employers with these facilities will have to make compromises like this imo.

How do you propose that they sanitize the changing room between people? Its not just social distancing that a company has to implement its also enhanced cleaning of communal spaces and that will be difficult in most companies with showers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some peoples hygiene standards obviously differ from mine! I've never had a workplace without shower facilities. My line of work has me moving between different companies' offices fairly regularly so I've seen my fair share of offices and I cycle in mostly and never had one that didn't have facilities. In my student days I previously worked on large farms and in retail and they always had also. Anyone I know who cycles or runs to work have shower and changing facilities. The quality varies, but 100% of workplaces I've worked had something, so certainly not a minority of places in my experience.

Not the point of this conversation though, I don't think the OPs request is in anyway unreasonable, and notwithstanding why they need to go in, I'd say it's a basic request and requirement for a workplace and with some accommodation on side of both the employer and employee (such as putting in place a queuing system and abiding by that), I can't see how this is a problem for any reasonable employer to facilitate.

I agree with you but my experience has been the opposite, some have had places nearby, gyms etc but only my current employer has had showers available on site. This varies from job type to job type, and company to company but based on friends and postings here, it is more likely that you won't have one for any random job in ireland. This is definetly changing but at the minute I would bet it is more likely not to in Ireland. Just an opinion though.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    How do you propose that they sanitize the changing room between people? Its not just social distancing that a company has to implement its also enhanced cleaning of communal spaces and that will be difficult in most companies with showers.

Should be no more difficult than the toilet. Do you propose that shared bathroom facilities should not be available too as they can't be sanitised between each use? If that level of cleaning is required workplaces are not going to open full stop. If safe for workplaces to reopen, I don't see why changing rooms and showers should have additional rules applied to them.

Advertisement