Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begonia tubers eaten?

• 06-05-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

My begonia tubers have disappeared from the pot they were planted. I've searched for evidence and all that's left is shown in the pic attached.
    Were they eaten?
    My lily bulbs have disappeared too. They were in a raised bed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any sign of larvae in the soil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Any chance this is just a case cold wet and rot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

any sign of larvae in the soil?

Not a trace, no shiny slug trails either. The pot does sit on gravel, so wood lice scurry away when moved.
    GinSoaked wrote: »
    Any chance this is just a case cold wet and rot?
    It's a clay pot full of compost. It may have been watered frequently to start with, but that was during the good weather 2/3 weeks ago, when we had no rain. The compost does appear to be 'fluffy'.

I don't seem to have much luck with pots. I have a raised bed that's heaven for slugs, so nothing much survives there.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

Could be vine weevil they love begonia and I've come across them lately when repotting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭standardg60

Have you any magpies floating round and nest building at the moment?

• Advertisement

Have you any magpies floating round and nest building at the moment?
    No, magpies.
    Yes to crows, starlings, etc

So I removed the eaten tubers and planted petunia seedlings and now they are being eaten. There are no shiny snail trails on the soil or leaves, so I'm now inclined to think vine weevil (like someone suggested) is the culprit.
    So far this is confined to one pot :o

Advertisement