Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farage highlighting illegal migration chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm not going to watch a Farage video - I have shoelaces to wash, which is much more important - unless you tell that the video explicitly and unambiguously says that people are motivated to cross the English channel because, if successful, they will be put up in four-star hotels.

Does it say that?

And a second question. The headline on your screencap refers to "illegal migrants". Does the video in fact deal with illegal migrants, or does it deal with asylum seekers (who are, of course, acting lawfully in coming to the UK to seek asylum) but demonise them falsely as "illegal migrants" for Farage's political purposes?

I ask this because, if the answer to the latter question is that the vidoe frames asylum seekers as illegal migrants, then it's clearly not honest or reliable and so not a credible source to back up the assertions made in the OP. In which case, again, I'm, not watching it. But I will look at any evidence presented that might be credible.

What country in the channel could they be seeking asylum from??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A whole dingy. Clearly we're all being replaced.
    This is one single day "The Home Office said 180 migrants made the crossing to the UK on Sunday in 15 boats"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53392096

That's could be city of Waterford per year into UK

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Dublinandy3

It seems two different poits are trying to be argued here with both sides agreeing on one point even if they don't realise it. I'll check back tongiht when this is a 40 page manmoth to see if anything is new in those 40 pages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

biko wrote: »
    This is one single day "The Home Office said 180 migrants made the crossing to the UK on Sunday in 15 boats"

The equivalent of the whole city of Waterford's population? Source please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good morning Britain came out with a similar report.
    I can't answer about their level of lying, scamming and racism, but maybe you'll find it more palatable.

Is your contention based on you rejecting immigrants are coming across the channel?
    Or that they are claimed to stay in hotels?
    Or that Nigel is the person reporting it (it's not what's said but who says it)?

Let's be clear here. I've no dispute people are crossing the channel none. Why they are is down to them ask them or ask folks that work with them.

But nobody should be listening to or promoting farage in relation to the subject matter or reasons for it. Because he has no idea he's only interested in profiting off whatever nonsense he can dream up. A sensible person would be embarrassed to use that joke of a man as a reference point to any subject matter. He's an embarrassment.

As for the migration, little sympathy for the UK. When you send your troops into countries and tear them apart leaving little to no economic activity and wastelands of rubble . Then getting upset when the inhabitants look to you for help.. well. Yeah good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well no, it's the prospect of free housing and benefits, not four-star hotels. THat's just right-wing rhetoric.
    As might this be - no offence. What make you think it's the housing and benefits that draws them? France also provides housing, benefits and healthcare to those granted asylum or awaiting a determination of their application. Plus, they can work while awaiting a determination of their application, which they can't in the UK. So on the face of it crossing the channel to the UK wouldn't appear to provide any obvious benefit in this respect that would justify the risk involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You know when you see a username and your like that person's sensible they've been around alot.

Then they come out with stuff like this ...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As might this be - no offence. What make you think it's the housing and benefits that draws them? France also provides housing, benefits and healthcare to those granted asylum or awaiting a determination of their application. Plus, they can work while awaiting a determination of their application, which they can't in the UK. So on the face of it crossing the channel to the UK wouldn't appear to provide any obvious benefit in this respect that would justify the risk involved.

No ID card requirement in UK or Ireland. Easier to work on the black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

No fan of Farage at all but that's a bizarre set up. I'm not sure I can believe border force are meeting French naval ships for a "handover" as described in the video however hes literally sitting on a boat filming what looks like a handover. Why the British would allow that carry on at any level is something I can't comprehend

I'm breaking into my own personal opinion here which I don't like to do on boards given everyone is an expert, or so they like to think. But in my own opinion, it's just ease of getting and keeping them and then ease of staying in cash in hand jobs if they're refused asylum. But I can't quote you on anything on that, just opinion so I admit that could be wrong.

• Advertisement

No ID card requirement in UK or Ireland. Easier to work on the black market.
    Again, even if its correct that it's easier to work on the black market in the UK, this doesn't stack up as a reason. Why would you want to work on the black market in the UK when you could work legitimately in France? Why would asylum seekers risk their lives to go to a place where they enjoy less social protection?

The equivalent of the whole city of Waterford's population? Source please.

180 per day for 300 days = 54000 men in dingys.
    Of course this may vary with weather etc.

And remember, this is just the English channel, there are more avenues into UK.

I'm breaking into my own personal opinion here which I don't like to do on boards given everyone is an expert, or so they like to think. But in my own opinion, it's just ease of getting and keeping them and then ease of staying in cash in hand jobs if they're refused asylum. But I can't quote you on anything on that, just opinion so I admit that could be wrong.
    You must have some reason for beleiving that this is easier to do in the UK than in France, though. What is that reason?

To be fair given the desire for people to look right on boards I'm surprised no ones made an account yet claiming to be said asluym seeker just to be correct.

The actual reason why they do wht they do is not known to anyone but them. All people can do is have educated guesses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The EU is spending billions in North Africa and the Sahal to stem migrant flows reaching the Mediterranean. In many cases, it's willing to get its hands pretty dirty in terms of who it's passing money to. It's also throwing billions at Erdogan in Turkey to stop Syrian refugees from passing through to the EU.

It's odd that a man who spent so much time campaigning to leave an institution that spends so much money trying to throttle migration is now complaining about migrants showing up on his doorstep.

You must have some reason for beleiving that this is easier to do in the UK than in France, though. What is that reason?

Just personal experience, seeing and interacting with these people in one form or another for most of my life and basing my opinion on that.

listermint wrote: »
    You know when you see a username and your like that person's sensible they've been around alot.

It's "a lot", two words ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It is now being reported that the numbers intercepted is at record levels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53678928

Obviously the BBC is not going to be a credible enough source for some, so apologies in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Gareth Keenan Investigates >>>>> Nigel Farrage Investigates

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It is now being reported that the numbers intercepted is at record levels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53678928

Obviously the BBC is not going to be a credible enough source for some, so apologies in advance.

The argument of this thread is not are they coming, everyone is accepting that they are. The argument is, why are they coming? Or going to the UK that is.

• Advertisement

But nobody is claiming that 180 people cross per day. The opposite, in fact - the claim is that 180 people crossed on one day and the point is explicitly made that that is a record - it's not the typical or average number of daily crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Would the media be running with this farage if didn't report on it? I see the BBC had it on TV this morning.

The argument of this thread is not are they coming, everyone is accepting that they are. The argument is, why are they coming? Or going to the UK that is.
    People were arguing this was not true, well until we supplied GMB, BBC etc.
    Now the angle of attack seems to have changed to something impossible to answer - why are they coming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And remember, this is just the English channel, there are more avenues into UK.

For the second time, source please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

To be fair given the desire for people to look right on boards I'm surprised no ones made an account yet claiming to be said asluym seeker just to be correct.

The actual reason why they do wht they do is not known to anyone but them. All people can do is have educated guesses.
    Well they could ask asylum seekers. Or they could ask agencies that are involved and have knowledge. They are not confined to making "educated guesses", still less to making fact-free guesses that confirm the preconceptions they already have.

People were arguing this was not true, well until we supplied GMB, BBC etc.
    Now the angle of attack seems to have changed to something impossible to answer - why are they coming.
    That's not a change. The very first post makes a claim about why they are coming, and that is the claim we have been interrogating ever since.

And it's certainly not "impossible to answer"; I can't see why you would think it is.

People were arguing this was not true, well until we supplied GMB and UK paper articles.
    Now the angles of attack seems to have changed to something impossible to answer - why are they coming.

Again isn't that a description of a typical boards argument. It turns into something that is almost impossible to answer so everyone gets to feel right?

I know this link below is 5 yers old but it seems that the uk is quite low on people seeking asylum. Ireland has a lot more per head of population.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/why-do-migrants-and-asylum-seekers-want-come-uk/

For the second time, source please.
    In 2019 it was only at least 1800 using the channel.
    I guess we have to wait for this year's report

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/world/europe/migrant-boats-uk.html
    LONDON — The number of migrants arriving in Britain in small boats crossing the English Channel rose more than sixfold over the past year, according to estimates from the BBC and other news organizations, even as the government moved to step up enforcement.

At least 1,892 people arrived by small boats crossing the Channel in 2019, according to research by the BBC. That remains a small fraction of the number crossing the Mediterranean to continental Europe — more than 100,000 last year, according to the United Nations, down from more than a million in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"Its not true because I dont like the person who said it".

• Advertisement

In 2019 it was only at least 1800 using the channel.
    I guess we have to wait for this year's report
    I'll be very surprised if the report shows a rise over one year from 1,800 to 54,000. Why would we expect that? The incentives to make the journey haven't changed signficantly.

Advertisement