Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farage highlighting illegal migration chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

listermint wrote: »
    Intriguing twitter video with a boat full of folks pumping tunes out all celebrating then cuts immediately to no boat no music and just a hand throwing random cards overboard. I always go to twitter for my information and fully verified videos. Obviously the boat even says on it heading to Dover so we can be extra sure.

You've not heard of people arriving by plane without documents? How do you think they got onto the plane?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/unexpected-turbulence-at-dublin-airport-seven-passengers-on-inaugural-flight-from-ethiopia-claim-asylum-31332090.html

"Seven passengers - including two children - on the inaugural Ethiopian Airlines flight through Dublin claimed asylum at the airport’s immigration gates.

A Garda spokeswoman this morning confirmed that it was five adults and two children that claimed asylum.

“We are working with Ethiopian Airlines to ensure proper processes are in place for people coming into the country,” she said.

The new service from Addis Ababa stops in Dublin en route to Los Angeles and the maiden flight took place on Saturday.

It is understood that the passengers disembarked and made their way to Dublin Airport’s immigration gates where they claimed asylum.

They reportedly arrived at the desk without ID or travel documentation."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

They ‘accidentally’ flush their papers down the toilet so they can make up a story and thwart Immigration services from properly investigating and verifying their stories.

Same with the ‘bearded children’ of Calais.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've not heard of people arriving by plane without documents? How do you think they got onto the plane?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/unexpected-turbulence-at-dublin-airport-seven-passengers-on-inaugural-flight-from-ethiopia-claim-asylum-31332090.html

"Seven passengers - including two children - on the inaugural Ethiopian Airlines flight through Dublin claimed asylum at the airport’s immigration gates.

A Garda spokeswoman this morning confirmed that it was five adults and two children that claimed asylum.

“We are working with Ethiopian Airlines to ensure proper processes are in place for people coming into the country,” she said.

The new service from Addis Ababa stops in Dublin en route to Los Angeles and the maiden flight took place on Saturday.

It is understood that the passengers disembarked and made their way to Dublin Airport’s immigration gates where they claimed asylum.

They reportedly arrived at the desk without ID or travel documentation."

Of course . It happens. But the video shown could be the same video used by some gullible Italians telling them it's in the med. Or gibraltese in the straits. Or.... The Irish channel used by some gullible Waterford folks....

The hyperbole and outrage does nothing for sensible immigration discussion. Nor does using random twitter accounts or of course Nigel bloody farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No matter what people think of nigel its pretty hard to refute a lot of the evidence in his videos , why the british government are determined to sneak these economic migrants in under peoples noses is beyond me. A disgrace and my only hope would be if it was happening here that somebody would have the courage to report on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You think people are more likely to risk their lives for economic advantage than to seek safe asylum from persecution?

I do not know why they want to risk their lives to seek asylum in the UK; if you want to know you should ask them, not me and certainly not Nigel Farage. I seriously doubt that the answer will be because of an irresistible impulse to find four-star accommodation, as claimed in the OP.

Why do you think these migrants understand the risks attached to crossing the channel in a dingy? Even if they do, people take great risk for economic advantage all the time. Look at soldiers, extreme sports athletes or professional fisherman.

• Advertisement

No matter what people think of nigel its pretty hard to refute a lot of the evidence in his videos , why the british government are determined to sneak these economic migrants in under peoples noses is beyond me. A disgrace and my only hope would be if it was happening here that somebody would have the courage to report on it.

Sneak ?

Sneak !

Sneak ?

They've been using it for the past 5 years as a brexit wedge. Sneak..... What are you even on about. And Farages videos are ridiculous if you watch them your going into a rabbit hole.

The whole crap is confirmation bias. Nothing more. And there aren't many more outraged than the usual suspects here. Sure Waterford will be overrun by December. There isn't enough lols.

Sneak ?

Sneak !

Sneak ?

They've been using it for the past 5 years as a brexit wedge. Sneak..... What are you even on about. And Farages videos are ridiculous if you watch them your going into a rabbit hole.

The whole crap is confirmation bias. Nothing more. And there aren't many more outraged than the usual suspects here. Sure Waterford will be overrun by December. There isn't enough lols.

Would having the centres for asylum seekers full to the extent that they are COVID major risks not qualify as overrun?

Would having the centres for asylum seekers full to the extent that they are COVID major risks not qualify as overrun?

Every location where people are bunched together is a covid risk.

Hotels.

Shopping centre

Your work office.

I actually don't understand your equation. Asylum centres have people in them? Well yes they do... That's how our system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Ah yes the often touted young men jibe. Always confused by the fact that it was the same here when Irish emigrated everywhere young men sent to find work and send money home.

Is this really something you think you uncovered... It's been the same for hundreds of years.

At least you're prepared to admit they're here in search of work, not fleeing persecution.

Every location where people are bunched together is a covid risk.

Hotels.

Shopping centre

Your work office.

I actually don't understand your equation. Asylum centres have people in them? Well yes they do... That's how our system works.

My point is that is the ability of our country to take people in is limited because the system is full. Farage is not covering Ireland but there is similar process and you don't seem to agree. But it really bothers me that people who tend to have this line of argument are never willing to a put a number on how many is too many. I have laid my cards on the table. So you lay yours.
    Ah yes the often touted young men jibe. Always confused by the fact that it was the same here when Irish emigrated everywhere young men sent to find work and send money home.

Is this really something you think you uncovered... It's been the same for hundreds of years.

And many were deported back to our shores and the USA was well entitled to do that. Id much rather if the US sent us food and development aid in the 1840s. not just take our young men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Things we've learned by his investigation:

The French have assisted the migrant boats in bringing them to UK waters.
    80% of the migrants are males between 18-26.
    The illegals are staying in a 4 star hotels ie Bromsdale Hilton Spa.
    The UK are housing 48,000 illegals this way which will cost a minimum £4bn over the next 10 years.
    The hotels are closed to the public and are not unbookable for the entire year.
    Locals have stated they are afraid to go out in the area due to mass loitering and persistent wolf whistling.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...why the british government are determined to sneak these economic migrants in under peoples noses is beyond me.

I don't think the British government either a.) wants these people arriving, or b.) is covering it up. If they are covering it up, they're doing a pretty crap job since it's been reported on regularly for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The whole crap is confirmation bias.

Confirmation bias and false equivalence. All over.

Meanwhile the real questions slip under..

Who is profiteering out of such systems (contracts with large hotel chains), what can be done to improve this situation?

Because right now neither the asylum seekers, nor the local residents are winning from this - and while everyone is hoodwinked over the usual arguments, this continues on and everyone gets sh@t upon in the process (Except the hoteliers and the private companies running it all).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nermal wrote: »
    He is easily the most significant British political figure in half a century.

Only six pages in the thread and he's been called 'not honest or reliable', 'not a credible source', 'known liar, scammer and racist', 'grifter', 'only interested in profiting off nonsense', 'joke of a man', 'an embarrassment'.

They just don't really want to genuinely address him or the people he represents. The insults they throw at him just help him.

He is relevant purely because he is willing to voice aloud the xenophobia many in the UK still feel towards anyone not British.

He failed to be elected to West Minster 7 times.

Lets be clear just who he represents, and why.

He initiated Brexit. He represents the majority of the UK.

I don't think the British government either a.) wants these people arriving, or b.) is covering it up. If they are covering it up, they're doing a pretty crap job since it's been reported on regularly for months now.

I don't think they particularly care.. The only angle is the self motivation to award ridiculous contracts to private companies to "deal" with the problem (which inevitable it does't).

So much money wasted, that could be better proportioned (local amenities, better care for those seeking asylum, more resources preventing fraud in the system).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

splashuum wrote: »
    He initiated Brexit. He represents the majority of the UK.

Really, so why has he a 7-0 record for Westminster?

He represents the majority of the UK.

Care to break down how you get to that conclusion?

Or you basing that off of a referendum result from 4 years ago where a percentage of the voting public voted, of which there was a majority in favour of something that was aligned with farage?

I don't think you could leap from that to "He represents the majority of the UK" - I could maybe buy that if he actually won a serious election. maybe.

Really, so why has he a 7-0 record for Westminster?

More recently in 2016 the UK voted for Brexit. A campaign that Farage almost understandingly started. Farage's party also romped the EU elections. Are you stating that those results were unsuccessful for Farage?

kenmm wrote: »
    Care to break down how you get to that conclusion?

Or you basing that off of a referendum result from 4 years ago where a percentage of the voting public voted, of which there was a majority in favour of something that was aligned with farage?

I don't think you could leap from that to "He represents the majority of the UK" - I could maybe buy that if he actually won a serious election. maybe.

The Brexit election was arguably the most serious election of all time. 52% is a majority, so yes the majority of the country were aligned with his views.

• Advertisement

The Brexit election was arguably the most serious election of all time. 52% is a majority, so yes the majority of the country were aligned with his views.

ok, so there is a flaw in your logic then. Just wanted to confirm we were on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

He will probably end up getting arrested if he continues to video the illegals arriving. Just like this lad in Kent.
    A man has been arrested by police after filming refugees arriving on the Kent coast.

The footage shows a man filming a group of people lined up along the side of a coach as they presumably arrived into the county.

Two immigration officers were also on scene and filming continued as one of the officers tried to hide his face.

However police later had to intervene after not putting the camera down. But posts on social media have questioned why he was arrested if he was on public land and wasn't abusive.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/man-arrested-port-dover-after-4402588

You can arrive in the U.K. illegally from France, you get put up in a four star hotel, have all meals covered and are given a debit card with a few bob on it. Some are brought on stadium tours of Anfield. Something usually reserved for terminally ill British kids.

Video the illegals arriving and you spend the night in jail. The mind boggles but this is where we are.

I don’t know how anyone can defend the current state of affairs on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

I’m fascinated by the amount of different terms used to describe someone who thinks taking to the English Channel in an overcrowded dingy represents a better possibility for good outcome in their life than staying in their own country.

Why don’t people trace the movement of these people back to the root cause and then resolve that so they can stay at home. Like I’m sure they would prefer.

Way too many influential people making huge money out of it. Not just in the UK, across all of Europe.

LeBash wrote: »
    Way too many influential people making huge money out of it. Not just in the UK, across all of Europe.

exactly, meanwhile the masses continue to argue over bull****.

LeBash wrote: »

People think with too much emotion and not logic.

The Brits cannot keep doing this every single day. Hotels are rammed, and services stretched. There must be a limit.

Maybe people will feel it more if we talk about the numbers in terms of homes needed.
    A total of 235 migrants were intercepted crossing the English Channel on Thursday, the Home Office confirmed - a record for a single day.

Among them was a group of 15, including children and a heavily pregnant woman, that landed on a Kent beach.
    In total, 17 vessels were apprehended by The Maritime and Coastguard Agency and Border Force units.
    On Friday, a boat with about 17 people on board, including a pregnant woman and children, was spotted by the BBC.

BBC reporter Simon Jones said a kayak and other inflatable vessels had also been reported heading towards the Kent coast.

Including Thursday's total, 3,948 people have crossed the Channel in more than 300 boats so far this year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53678928

235 people, that's likely at least 150 homes needed. 150 homes every single day for people who should never be allowed in the country in the first place. That's another ~50,000 homes needed every year if this keeps up.

Great for land owners and home owners, not so great for anyone aspiring to own their own home.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    People think with too much emotion and not logic.

The Brits cannot keep doing this every single day. Hotels are rammed, and services stretched. There must be a limit.

Maybe people will feel it more if we talk about the numbers in terms of homes needed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-53678928

235 people, that's likely at least 150 homes needed. 150 homes every single day for people who should never be allowed in the country in the first place. That's another ~50,000 homes needed every year if this keeps up.

Great for land owners and home owners, not so great for anyone aspiring to own their own home.

It's ok tho - I know enough people getting the fu(k outta that place, there will be room for all!

kenmm wrote: »
    It's ok tho - I know enough people getting the fu(k outta that place, there will be room for all!

Different variations of the same are happening throughout Europe. Unless they’re relocating to Poland, Hungary or Czech, they’ll just get more of the same.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Different variations of the same are happening throughout Europe. Unless they’re relocating to Poland, Hungary or Czech, they’ll just get more of the same.

ye - don't think the situation in Hungary (or Poland) is particularly great.. Unless you are extrapolating "They are tough on immigration, therefore all good", but there are many, many other things going on in these regions that its not much of a solution either. Certainly not a society I'd want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Farage threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He is relevant purely because he is willing to voice aloud the xenophobia many in the UK still feel towards anyone not British.

He failed to be elected to West Minster 7 times.

Maybe he’s like a successful version of Saoirse McHugh and electoral politics isn’t for him??

Advertisement