Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Fertiliser spreader

Options
  • 06-05-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello
    Can anyone recommend a good quality Manual Lawn Spreader, for fertiliser. I have quite a substantial area, so all feedback appreciate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Hello
    Can anyone recommend a good quality Manual Lawn Spreader, for fertiliser. I have quite a substantial area, so all feedback appreciate

Be interested in this also

Would this do for 1 acre or would I better getting something else:

https://www.pitchcare.ie/shop/ev-n-spred-2600a-plus-medium-duty-estate-broadcast-spreader.html

Lawn has a few slopes so putting me off getting a tow behind spreader for ride on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Pious14 wrote: »
    Would this do for 1 acre or would I better getting something else:

https://www.pitchcare.ie/shop/ev-n-spred-2600a-plus-medium-duty-estate-broadcast-spreader.html

Lawn has a few slopes so putting me off getting a tow behind spreader for ride on

Exactly the type I'd recommend, think I have used that same one in the past, but you can get some cheaper ones and for a really large lawn you can get a towed version that goes behind a quad or lawn tractor. Amazon have a few as do ebay. Look for ones that quote the hopper size (weight), gearbox and drive shaft size size (bigger is often better) and wheel size (again bigger is better especially with a larger hopper).

The way I used to use one was to divide the fertilizer or lawn sand into 4 lots and then adjust the gap so each quarter would fully cover the ground. Then put on the other 3 lots at 90 degree angles. Hard to get it wrong that way. You can do it in one pass but easier to over or under dose that way.

My only concern is would I be all day doing an acre with this.

How reliable are tow behind spreaders especially on slopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The spread on those "spinners" is tapered so you get less at the edges than you do in the middle so you can overlap a lot or a little and not get the application rate far wrong. I would guess the largest area I've done was a quarter of an acre and if it took an hour including testing the spread working out the coverage (on another rougher area of grass) moving the materials and then putting it all away again I be surprised.

tbh I've only used the push ones. I'd be a little concerned about how you get started and open up the spreader and close it off again while driving a lawn tractor. I always get walking then open up the gap in the bottom of the spreader so as not to have a load of excess spread. If you have recently cut the grass you can often follow the track of the mower if you have a 30 inch cutting width (allowing for overlap to say a 32-36inch deck) and spreader covering 60 inches and allow a 50% overlap (25% of the width) then you'd be following in the mower tracks. If you know how long that takes to cut the grass then you can make a good guesstimate on how long using the spreader will take.

I used to go to extreme lengths of doing the job in 4 directions because I was spreading on a fine lawn cut with a cylinder mower and didn't want to mess it up. The general recommendation is to do it in 2 runs (not my 4) at right angles to each other and doing it on one run is fine if you make sure you aren't over dosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Advertisement