Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get bike fixed at the moment?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Quick question - I think the bearings kicked the bucket in the back wheel of my bike the other day.

Is there any bike shop open at the moment, or when do they expect to re open? Luckily I don't need it to cycle to work at the moment!

Also - I am debating if the bike is worth getting fixed. It is a 13 y.o. bike, and is shook enough.

I use it for 5-6k commute, and as a run-a-round. Its worth nothing but I lock it everywhere and don't really have to take much care of it, which I would have to do if I buy a new one. But then, I wonder is it worth putting 40-50-60 quid into! Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

many bike shops are open by appointment for repair - might be worth emailing them or ringing to see, if you've one nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Is it cup and cone bearings? if you have the time you might be able to do regrease it yourself the only tool you need for the job is a cone spanner, not as hard as you might think. Otherwise most bike shops are in some form open so just email your lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

City centre penny farthing are open.

I would get it fixed if it suits what you need it for. Get a service too and it will be like a brand new bike.

014780568 is penny farthing number

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

What exactly is the problem? I'd echo Tony04, it might be something as simple as pinching the cup and cone a little tighter. Could be a very easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Wheel is wobbling around the place, I think the bearings went in it. I presumed the bearings would be gone, no?
    Yeah I should probably get it serviced while I am at it. The grip-shift gear went in it on the same journey, all within 5 minutes of my home! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

The bearings in your wheel are most likely a cup and cone mking the races, with loose ball bearings rolling between the two.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/149352/what-forces-are-at-work-in-a-loose-ball-bearing-bicycle-hub/151217

You could try just tightening up the cup and cone assembly

When you say the grip shifter "went" do you meant it twists but wont change gear? The cable may have snapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah the cable snapped in the grip shift. I can easily fix that, but if I am getting a full service of the bike, I might as well get it all done while I am at it.
    It has been a few years since it got an overhaul!

Advertisement