Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost password for password protected document

Options
  • 06-05-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Anyone know how to hack a password protected Word document? I put the password on years ago, and now cannot access it. :D Is there any software? I feel like a right eejet for locking myself out of my own document!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the protection works as it is supposed to then no. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Galbin wrote: »
    Anyone know how to hack a password protected Word document? I put the password on years ago, and now cannot access it. :D Is there any software? I feel like a right eejet for locking myself out of my own document!

Is it a .doc or a .docx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

What version of Word was it originally created in afaik some of the older versions 2003 and earlier were easier to crack.

If you think your memory would be jogged by seeing part of the password then some of the free password hacking tools show you some of the letters and you have to pay to see all of them but they can take ages to run as they just use brute force trying every possible password combination. If you use simple dictionary words then a brute force hack will work well but if you U$€ R€iiy g00d passwords then they'll never get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Is it a .doc or a .docx?

It's a docx.
    GinSoaked wrote: »
    What version of Word was it originally created in afaik some of the older versions 2003 and earlier were easier to crack.

If you think your memory would be jogged by seeing part of the password then some of the free password hacking tools show you some of the letters and you have to pay to see all of them but they can take ages to run as they just use brute force trying every possible password combination.

It was Word 2007.

I think seeing parts of the password would help as they are simple words, although that being said I have tried every password I have ever used, and nada!
    johndoe99 wrote: »

Tried these before, and they didn't work. Maybe will try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mountain

Galbin wrote: »
    It's a docx.

It was Word 2007.

I think seeing parts of the password would help as they are simple words, although that being said I have tried every password I have ever used, and nada!

Tried these before, and they didn't work. Maybe will try again.

Send it to gmail and try open it through google docs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

.docx uses 128-bit key AES password protection, so basically no.
    Unless you can hack 128-bit key AES password protection

I always get amazed when people ask me can you hack a word/excel password protected file (and I did when I was a system admin)

If you could what would be the point ?

Keep trying your passwords or what you might think it might have been, get a an excel sheet and put in all your likely passwords, then make slight different versions of them like capital letters or change 1 to ! or vice a versa.

If it was one you set the password then you will get it eventually, just keep trying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Follow the steps here

Advertisement