Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage queries

Options
  • 06-05-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

Forum newb here.

Myself and my partner are due to move home to Ireland after living and working in the UK for the past 5 years. The pandemic has put a few spanners in the works in terms of our plans in terms of jobs and living situation etc so we decided to hold off for a while.

We are unmarried, in our 30s with no kids and both working full time.

It's likely we may both still be working remotely for our current overseas employers when we move back.

What I wanted to ask forum users is if anyone here could share their experience of returning to Ireland and getting a mortage to buy or do a self-build? (both options we're exploring)

What were the main obstacles or issues you faced (if any)?

I'd appreciate hearing any first hand advice.

Obviously with economic uncertainty ahead I know a lot could be subjective given we can't predict what will happen if there's a new recession and how the housing sector will be affected and so on.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Cant help you with specifics, except to say that as your situation is more awkward than a typical application, you might find a mortgage broker helpful with it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

I've had a similar experience recently and luckily got approved sooner than we expected. In terms of how long you have to be in the country for it really depends on your industry and experience. We had to provide old job contracts and CVs. Other than that it seemed to be a pretty similar process to our friends who had always lived here, but we did have to supply UK credit checks and tax info. We used a broker who gave us a nice checklist of everything we needed, feel free to PM me if you want info!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

I've had a similar experience recently and luckily got approved sooner than we expected. In terms of how long you have to be in the country for it really depends on your industry and experience. We had to provide old job contracts and CVs. Other than that it seemed to be a pretty similar process to our friends who had always lived here, but we did have to supply UK credit checks and tax info. We used a broker who gave us a nice checklist of everything we needed, feel free to PM me if you want info!

That's very informative thank you.

Advertisement