Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Dance (Netflix)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Clareman wrote: »
    They did mention that Jordan was "only" the third pick but that if the draft had taken place after the Olympics he would have been a first pick, not saying that 3rd is low but it's not level 199 like Brady. Interesting as well that the 2 players picked before him were 7 footers, Charles Barkley was "only" picked at 5, some draft.

Stockton was 16th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

yabadabado wrote: »
    Stockton was 16th.

What about his clones that were in every corner of the court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Phil Jackson did a great job managing that team considering how MJ's teammates viewed him.

Yeah it came across that way in the doc. Though I did feel like Rodman made an absolute mug of Phil Jackson by first promising to be back from Vegas within 48 hours and then spending the best part of a week there with tv cameras in tow and then later not showing up for training and going on the WWF instead. Hard to see how any team manager could put up with that, Rodman was proving himself to be more important that the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I know it’s pedantic but Rodman turned up on WCW Nitro with Hulk Hogan not WWF Monday Night Raw

https://www.skysports.com/share/11992512

So Scottie is allegedly beyond furious with MJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I like that in that article Grant first says
    Grant called Jordan's accusation "lies, lies, lies"

Then says
    "The mere fact that Sam Smith was an investigative reporter, that he had to have two sources, two, to write a book, I guess. Why would MJ just point me out?

Which to me, reads like Grant was the source. So not sure why he's saying Jordan's accusation about him being the source was lies.

I enjoyed the documentary but people are always going to be annoyed by how they're portrayed as its still entertainment, and they want to shape it in certain ways. I can understand why Pippen would be annoyed. Some of the things, particularly him refusing to leave the bench at the end of that game made him look bad. But thats one moment in a glittering career.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I can understand why Pippen would be annoyed. Some of the things, particularly him refusing to leave the bench at the end of that game made him look bad. But thats one moment in a glittering career.

I honestly didn't think the series overall reflected badly on Pippen. He delayed the surgery and Jordan said it was selfish. But, to be anyway, everyone would have said it's fair enough that he didn't put himself out given the Bulls fúcked him over with a ****ty contract.

Poor decision in the game against the Knicks but at the end of a season where he stepped up to fill some of the void left by Jordan with a great season. But he acknowledged the mistake and apologised to the teammates. Lots of players have had a moment of madness.

His importance to the team was underlined by the fact that as bad as he was, Jackson still put him out to play for as long as he did in the game they won the series in 98.

I can't speak for everyone but he comes out positively for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I don’t know much about basketball but by all accounts Pippen is one of the greatest of all time in his own right. The man was highly underpaid for the majority of his career (I know his own doing but still) and happily played second fiddle to MJ. He did this for years and only slipped up twice (not getting surgery and not taking the court) one for which he apologised for straight after and neither having much of an effect on the long term outcome of the team.

The man sounds like a bloody saint to me. Could’ve easily pulled a Neymar on it with an ego and gone off somewhere else to step out of the shadow of the GOAT but didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I don’t know much about basketball but by all accounts Pippen is one of the greatest of all time in his own right. The man was highly underpaid for the majority of his career (I know his own doing but still) and happily played second fiddle to MJ. He did this for years and only slipped up twice (not getting surgery and not taking the court) one for which he apologised for straight after and neither having much of an effect on the long term outcome of the team.

The man sounds like a bloody saint to me. Could’ve easily pulled a Neymar on it with an ego and gone off somewhere else to step out of the shadow of the GOAT but didn’t.

Interesting to get the views of another non-basketball fan on the thread. What sports are you into?

• Advertisement

I think Jordan had a pretty poor contract relatively speaking as well until the last few year's of his career with the Bulls?
    Last 2 or 3 years he earned huge money but he did similar to Pippen in signing a 8 year deal in the late 80s before the huge money rolled into the game.

Pippen earned around 75m in his 5 seasons with Rockets/Portland .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I thought Pippen came out of it well too. I could understand his delaying surgery, you’ve played all season, then they want you to get surgery that’ll take up all of your off season, then go back playing. He was probably mentally exhausted and wanted his time off. He performances in the finals especially, but throughout his career, totally vindicate him.

There is a good podcast with Jalen Rose and David Jacoby that was on ESPN straight after each episode discussing the episode. Worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That host is seriously annoying.

Some of this BIG things are not really big.

That host is seriously annoying.

He is alright! But he made some good points and it is an American sport after-all and most of them seem to have that way about them. Loud and shouty.

Bill Burr's take on the Last Dance and Isiah Thomas (NSFW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any suggestions on any other NBA documentaries? Watching this has left me wanting more!

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Any suggestions on any other NBA documentaries? Watching this has left me wanting more!

Check out the 30 for 30 series There are at least 7 or 8 excellent ones on there.

Without Bias,Once Brothers ,Pistons doc(Name escapes me),Fab Five,Iverson doc to name a few.
    There is a Lakers/Celtic multi part one as well.
    Magic and Bird doc,which covers some of the same ground as lakers/Celtics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Check out the 30 for 30 series There are at least 7 or 8 excellent ones on there.

Without Bias,Once Brothers ,Pistons doc(Name escapes me),Fab Five,Iverson doc to name a few.
    There is a Lakers/Celtic multi part one as well.

Nice one, will check them out

siblers wrote: »
    Nice one, will check them out

Hoop Dreams and Lenny Cooke,made by the Safdir brothers, are both excellent and kinda similar themes.

There are plenty more but all the ones I mentioned should be fairly easy to get to watch.

Saw Jordan just pledged $100 million in funding for organisations that promote equality for blacks. Made me think what he might be worth overall, is he considered to be a billionaire?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Saw Jordan just pledged $100 million in funding for organisations that promote equality for blacks. Made me think what he might be worth overall, is he considered to be a billionaire?

He is indeed.its estimated around 2 billion.

He owns the controlling stake in the Hornets,they are valued at over 1billion.

Hes giving the 100m over 10 years and I think he gets around 120m per year via Nike/Jordan brand.

wow I knew he was wealthy but never thought he would be as wealthy as 2 billion. I suppose Nike did sell shed loads of Jordan runners, he must have had a nice cut of that deal. It would actually be interesting to know how many billion in revenue Nike have made with the Air Jordan brand, I would say it is colossal

• Advertisement

wow I knew he was wealthy but never thought he would be as wealthy as 2 billion. I suppose Nike did sell shed loads of Jordan runners, he must have had a nice cut of that deal. It would actually be interesting to know how many billion in revenue Nike have made with the Air Jordan brand, I would say it is colossal

I was reading something recently, he made about 90m from his playing career but its his off court dealing that has made him a billionaire.

The big one is owning the Hornets,he paid about 150m for them and they now valued at 1.5b.

Jordan brand is worth about 3b a year to Nike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

An interesting show, enjoyed it.

Never a basketball fan, knew little about the game, but knew the big stars of the 80s like Larry Bird etc.

Knew about Jordan obviously growing up, his shoes etc and how he was famous and everywhere in the media. But never seen him play. Nor did I know about his father or the fact that he actually played baseball.

The game footage was great. He was a different class to everyone else.

Its an interesting insight into his mind, how self centred and focused he was. Amazing determination and effort, and work ethic.

But you can see how many didn't like him. He was likely very annoying to have as a team mate. He seemed to have next to no sense of humour either. A few times people appear to have cracked jokes with him but he took it personally.

Anyway, definitely worth a watch.

I was reading something recently, he made about 90m from his playing career but its his off court dealing that has made him a billionaire.

The big one is owning the Hornets,he paid about 150m for them and they now valued at 1.5b.

Jordan brand is worth about 3b a year to Nike.

Nike are absolutely coining it there, its probably their most successful ever sponsorship of an athlete

I suppose Jordan led the way for sports stars to make far more money off the pitch in endorsements, sponsorships and image rights than they did on it. iirc Beckham is supposedly worth almost $500m which is multiples of what he ever got paid in wages as a player. He's the owner of a Miami football team now in the MLS so his fortune should rise even further as the sport grows in the US.

Nike are absolutely coining it there, its probably their most successful ever sponsorship of an athlete

I suppose Jordan led the way for sports stars to make far more money off the pitch in endorsements, sponsorships and image rights than they did on it. iirc Beckham is supposedly worth almost $500m which is multiples of what he ever got paid in wages as a player. He's the owner of a Miami football team now in the MLS so his fortune should rise even further as the sport grows in the US.

Its undoubtedly the most successful sponsorship of an athlete.They have been making huge money from the off.
    It was mentioned in the doc,they hoped to have sold 3m by year four of the 5 year deal but had sold 130m in year one.

Between the years 2015-2019 the jordan brand earned Nike $14 billion

https://statstic.com/revenue-of-nike-from-jordan-brand/

About 2-3b per year!

I have been watching basketball related stuff on youtube on the back of this Neflix series. The money he has is mad all together.

This was recommended to me:

The Real Reason Nobody Wants To Buy Michael Jordan's Mansion in Chicago

It is on the market since 2012.

Originally $29m now only $14.9m. Bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Save us all watching please!

Why does no one want to buy the house?

amdublin wrote: »

Haunted by the ghost of Jerry Krause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

amdublin wrote: »

Long story short (not too long though - video only 3 mins long)
    Its so iconic as his house, maybe its too iconic and the buyer would not be able to make it their own without significant $$$ being thrown at it

40 year old just retired Jordan lost one on one, to a 45 year old CEO with glasses in 2003.

Plus it shows how competitive Jordan was. Hating losing 'oh no'!

Its undoubtedly the most successful sponsorship of an athlete.They have been making huge money from the off.
    It was mentioned in the doc,they hoped to have sold 3m by year four of the 5 year deal but had sold 130m in year one.

jesus 130 million in year one is astonishing. Nike have some sort of midas touch when it comes to sports marketing. Their backing of Kaepernick is interesting too, they took flack for it at the time but its looking like a great decision now. Especially if all the NFL players take a knee for the anthem in the upcoming season, it will make Nike look like the vanguard of a players movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Muahahaha wrote:
    jesus 130 million in year one is astonishing. Nike have some sort of midas touch when it comes to sports marketing. Their backing of Kaepernick is interesting too, they took flack for it at the time but its looking like a great decision now. Especially if all the NFL players take a knee for the anthem in the upcoming season, it will make Nike look like the vanguard of a players movement.

MJ earns $4million per week from Nike alone which is far more than any current player in the NBA.

A clever, calculated, cool dude!

tedpan wrote: »
    MJ earns $4million per week from Nike alone which is far more than any current player in the NBA.

A week???

I thought it was reported he made $130 million from Nike last year, which would be $2.5 million a week. 2.5/4/a lot per week.

As an aside, he made $90 million in salary in his entire career. $63 million of that was for the last 2 years!

tedpan wrote: »

Was his comment that 'republican's wear sneakers too' ever proven to be serious and not in jest?

Jordan claimed it was a joke

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/04/michael-jordan-espn-last-dance-republicans-sneakers-quote-nba#:~:text=Michael%20Jordan%20has%20discussed%20the,to%20put%20profit%20over%20principles.&text=Jordan%2C%20who%20at%20the%20time,Republicans%20buy%20sneakers%2C%20too%E2%80%9D.

But given how ruthless and single minded he is I am not sure if I believe him.

Also, I am not sure I would want to go for a pint with Jordan.
    Rodman would be the man for that!

Watching over again and I'm still mystified that Ron Harper's only piece on camera was about him wanting to mark Jordan in the playoffs against the Cavs in 89 when Jordan made the winning shot over Craig Ehlo who was sent to mark him instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Watching atm. This is brillant , much much better than All or Nothing or any football documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

wadacrack wrote: »
    Watching atm. This is brillant , much much better than All or Nothing or any football documentary

I only had a passing knowledge in b-ball and I absolutely loved this - watched it religiously every week as the episodes were released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A week???

The Nike Jordan brand brings in over $3b a year so he gets a nice cut of that.

He makes just under $50k every hour and a half.

[URL="ttps://www.businessinsider.com/how-rich-is-michael-jordan-net-worth-mind-blowing-facts-2020-4?r=US&IR=T#7-in-2019-jordan-earned-roughly-34246-an-hour-according-to-business-insider-calculations-7"]ttps://www.businessinsider.com/how-rich-is-michael-jordan-net-worth-mind-blowing-facts-2020-4?r=US&IR=T#7-in-2019-jordan-earned-roughly-34246-an-hour-according-to-business-insider-calculations-7[/URL]

Advertisement