Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green bottles in compost

• 06-05-2020 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I have green bottles in my compost.

It is a tumbler style bin with two chambers. Last year one resulted in great wormy compost. The other I just binned because I added too much wood chips and it just stopped composting.

Been adding fresh vegetable waste mainly and a little bit of dryer lint and dry leaves etc. It was fine until recently. I found a sealed container that had contained food waste - presumably vegetable waste for the compost. It stank but I put it into the compost bin without thinking. I guess that is what has drawn the green bottles.

I'm thinking I'll just suppress my revulsion, bin the lot of it and start again. Does this seem like a good idea or might I expect to improve it quickly with torn up cardboard and rotations and sunlight..?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Who put the sealed container in?

Also, dryer lint? I would assume that a lot of this is synthetic material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Who put the sealed container in?

Also, dryer lint? I would assume that a lot of this is synthetic material.
    The sealed container was in the corner in the kitchen. I opened it and put it in the compost bin about 1.5 seconds before deciding putting it in the compost bin was a terrible idea.

Good point about the lint. I think it is all cotton and linen though. My stuff and my son's is anyway.

Advertisement