Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bike for a wheelie!

Options
  • 06-05-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I'm 42 and have never done a satisfactory wheelie.

So, now is the time!

I have a few bike but none suitable. Anyone know what the best cheap bike to get would be - slightly smaller mountain type bike or a bmx type bike or something else? I want to do a wheelie for at least 5 seconds

I understand that this is juvenile and silly and I just don't care :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Some tips

But I don't want to deter you from buying a bike though either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I'm 42 and have never done a satisfactory wheelie.

So, now is the time!

I have a few bike but none suitable. Anyone know what the best cheap bike to get would be - slightly smaller mountain type bike or a bmx type bike or something else? I want to do a wheelie for at least 5 seconds

I understand that this is juvenile and silly and I just don't care :D

Do you have a mtb even a hybrid?

Flat handlebars are all that are needed to be honest I prefer locking out my suspension on my hardtail to wheelie.
    Break it up theres only two parts to it. Firstly preloading your torso in to the bars and back up like a press up. Secondly pushing down with your feet. And then try add them together. Third part if you like is patience. Also do it on grass you dont want to go over the back on tarmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’m currently trying to improve my trackstand! Not going too well TBH. Those guys on GCN make wheelies and trackstands look so easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Go all out and get yourself a scrambler:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Tony04 wrote: »
    Do you have a mtb even a hybrid?

Flat handlebars are all that are needed to be honest I prefer locking out my suspension on my hardtail to wheelie.
    Break it up theres only two parts to it. Firstly preloading your torso in to the bars and back up like a press up. Secondly pushing down with your feet. And then try add them together. Third part if you like is patience. Also do it on grass you dont want to go over the back on tarmac.

Have a hybrid but its a big heavy Giant with kids seat on it!

Cheers for the advice about the grass

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Go all out and get yourself a scrambler:)

Funnily enough, I watched scrambler racing in 1985 and have wanted one since!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Get a Chopper!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Get a Chopper!
    GOOO! GET A CHOPPAH! NOW!

GOOO! GET A CHOPPAH! NOW!

I'm tempted! All my pals had one! I had a poor copy (a Pavemaster Tracker) which was a horrible mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Funnily enough, I watched scrambler racing in 1985 and have wanted one since!

Not too far from where I live it be fairly common to see a teenager or two fly by on scramblers, particularly on one wheel. Dangerous little feckers, funnily enough I haven't noticed any during the lockdown period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BMX for the win, can't do it on a road bike but have gone from barely popping a wheelie to holding it off the ground while going down the drive way over the course of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Get a Chopper!

It must be the Mk1 though, with the seatpost straight down to the rear axle, and ideally, the top-tube mounted emasculation device gear shifters.
    512025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Unicycle :D

Melodeon wrote: »
    It must be the Mk1 though, with the seatpost straight down to the rear axle, and ideally, the top-tube mounted emasculation device gear shifters.
    512025.jpg

Ah yes, that seat!! If you had someone on the back, then you'd pop a wheelie with no assistance if they leaned back!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

seems appropriate for this thread. Casually cruising along doing a wheelie is a big thing in west Dublin too, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Have a hybrid but its a big heavy Giant with kids seat on it!

Maybe you might considering getting a cheap hardtail, then you can also try mountain biking;). What's your budget? You could get something used but hard to get a good deal used these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Mybe we could form our own boards crew of middle aged men who never learned how to wheelie, and take back the streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Back in the day, amongst the BMXers on the road, the wheelie champion pulled off his records on a hybrid BMX, built especially for the task.

But a close second was a Mongoose. I also recall a special edition Raleigh ( black and gold ) but don't recall the exact model.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Back in the day, amongst the BMXers on the road, the wheelie champion pulled off his records on a hybrid BMX, built especially for the task.

But a close second was a Mongoose. I also recall a special edition Raleigh ( black and gold ) but don't recall the exact model.

Picked up a BMX Mongoose today for 20 euro. It needs a bit of TLC but still looks good. It needs a new tube on the front wheel and i'm wondering will i even bother seen as I wont be using it!!

Cheers for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Picked up a BMX Mongoose today for 20 euro. It needs a bit of TLC but still looks good. It needs a new tube on the front wheel and i'm wondering will i even bother seen as I wont be using it!!

Cheers for the suggestion.

If you won't be using it, I'll take it off your hands for €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can ride a unicycle but I can't wheelie a bicycle.

Double shame.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Biker79 wrote: »

They were just an edition of Burner weren't they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the super tuff burner is the one i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Hurrache wrote: »
    They were just an edition of Burner weren't they?

Originally an American BMX make .....but yeah, also copied/ paid homage to by Raleigh under their Burner model.

Still a great bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's the one, Tuff was the edition alright.

I took the BMX out tonight inspired by this thread and took the 6 year old around the estate on the rear pegs, best cycle in ages. Haven't had a pegs passenger since I used to carry my brother around like that 25 odd years ago :pac:

To say she loved it would be massively understating it.

Advertisement