Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AppleCare Conditions - Are They Legal?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi! :)

So I damaged my iPhone recently. I have AppleCare just for these occasions. I got on to Apple and they said they will replace the phone entirely for the insurance excess of €99. OK that's fine. When they go to charge me that via a web form, it says it wants authorisation for €878 in addition of the €99. My bank messaged me immediately asking me is this large purchase normal, so I know they're trying to authorise it. I ask them about this and they tell me what the calculation is but can't explain why I am forced to pay it.

In addition, I notice in my bank account that they've charged me €99 x 2. I did not click pay that twice or do anything in my browser, which I know can lead to multiple payments or failed payments. When I ask an advisor about this, he passes me on to a manager (I was perfectly calm and not causing trouble). The manager says he'll cancel that (although it's still not reflected in my bank). He mentions to me that regarding replacements, the only other option is to use a credit card, as the aurorisation check for €878 won't go through, only the charge for €99. But, I've chosen to never use credit cards, I only use debit and I'm happy with that. So that's not an option for me.

So, Apple has set two pre-conditions for a person to avail of the paid insurance, AppleCare. To pay €99 for a replacement phone, you must have the value of the phone in your bank account, €878 + €99 (€977 just to pay €99) in my case or use a credit card to avoid this.

Is that really legal? The more I think about it, I can't see it. I'll ask CCPC about it tomorrow and if they back me up I'll make a complaint.

Has anyone got around these nonsense pre-conditions?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

Did you ask for an Express Replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Spocker wrote: »
    Did you ask for an Express Replacement?

No.

They told me it's the best option, that repair via a partner is 'not a great option under the circumstances'. So, they're suggesting it's the only available choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You bought apple care. That’s in their terms and conditions. No point complaining about it now when you need it.

It’s not apples fault you don’t have a cc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

godtabh wrote: »
    You bought apple care. That’s in their terms and conditions. No point complaining about it now when you need it.

It’s not apples fault you don’t have a cc

Not what’s OP is asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

They offer the option of you sending in the broken phone first, if you choose not to take that option then they're entitled to put a hold for the cost of a new phone on your card as security. The actual cost to you will be €99 as the held amount will be released back to your account once they receive the broken phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Elysium1

Time wrote: »
    They offer the option of you sending in the broken phone first, if you choose not to take that option then they're entitled to put a hold for the cost of a new phone on your card as security. The actual cost to you will be €99 as the held amount will be released back to your account once they receive the broken phone.

That's a very good explanation. No one at Apple explained that. That looks like reasonable cause to ask for that authorisation.

This week has been a nightmare with unexpected house costs, one of those weeks, and like 600,000 other people here, my job got axed. So, it seems like a big ask.

Seems like I'll have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have to say this quite often on here - just because Irish debit cards work like credit cards doesn't mean they are. Don't use a debit card for credit card things. It would be better if debit cards didn't support preauth at all but it would break so many websites and so on that its too late to change now.

A preauth on your credit card doesn't lock up cash; it just reduces your credit limit. The 2x99 is likely also a pre-auth and then the actual payment done arseways as often happens with debit cards; when done properly a preauth should convert directly and not appear twice.

Advertisement