Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drought 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It made plenty rain here overnight and still raining, places are well saturated this morning with puddles on the road, that will do us grand for a few weeks again, i hope it doesn't stay too long I've to set up my new bbq tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We had 2mm overnight
    North Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nice bit overnight and steady drizzle now. My fathers first day back on site and it rains after 7 weeks of good weather at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Where are ye based lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Hope it not going to be a repeat of 2012. Weather broke around this time & bucketed rain until september. Granted we do need rain badly a soft week would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Slight mist here in East Meath. Dark enough start to the day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Im in north Kildare. Still a steady drizzle here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

4mm last night here. Nice start, here's hoping for more on Friday.

4mm last night here. Nice start, here's hoping for more on Friday.

Not fair, you got more than me..

I'll quietly ignore the inch I got on Saturday that you didn't get :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Raining away here for the last hour. Typical first day kids can meet up with their friends and it's raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

First shower fit to wet under the trees here in 2 months. An hour of this would do a world of good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

First shower fit to wet under the trees here in 2 months. An hour of this would do a world of good

Small bit here overnight which wasn’t expected. First tine the ground is wet in weeks. Nothing since .
    I showed lawn seed last week but didn’t get to roll it before the rain last night. Should I forget about rolling now or is it still ok to do?

Tileman wrote: »
    Small bit here overnight which wasn’t expected. First tine the ground is wet in weeks. Nothing since .
    I showed lawn seed last week but didn’t get to roll it before the rain last night. Should I forget about rolling now or is it still ok to do?

It will only stick to the roller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

0.3mm here
    Ie nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Looks like more agreement on settled weather returning after this low pressure later in the week. Hopefully lads can then make a start on second cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Mortelaro wrote: »
    0.3mm here
    Ie nothing

Met Radar showing rain in your area now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Looks like more agreement on settled weather returning after this low pressure later in the week. Hopefully lads can then make a start on second cuts.

Is it your second haircut since lockdown you’re on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it your second haircut since lockdown you’re on about?

Got my third cut done last night !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Got my third cut done last night !!

On the lawn

Lets get the first cut out of the way first

• Advertisement

Had 0.4mm today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

It will only stick to the roller.

Ah I meant Tomo when it’s very dry again.

Met Radar showing rain in your area now?

Just spits is all we had
    Total 0.5mm today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just spits is all we had
    Total 0.5mm today

The models seem to be all now agreeing that after a brief bit of Atlantic weather(at the end of the week with the most rain in the West) its a return to strong blocking conditions ie. more or less dry till the end of the month for nearly all

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The models seem to be all now agreeing that after a brief bit of Atlantic weather(at the end of the week with the most rain in the West) its a return to strong blocking conditions ie. more or less dry till the end of the month for nearly all

We could be sending silage eastwards if it doesnt make plenty in next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

We could be sending silage eastwards if it doesnt make plenty in next few weeks

We wouldn’t want to bring in rush seeds😂

Who2 wrote: »
    We wouldn’t want to bring in rush seeds��

Lol, the rush wouldn't grow in them places, it likes nice peaty wet soil :pac:

Birdnuts wrote: »

I believe the meteorological term for what it was doing earlier is raining cats'n'dogs. As much as it's needed a windy and wet 13 degree day in the middle of May is a disagreeable thing.

Anyway, who's on for starting the Deluge 2020 thread? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭huwboy

Very dry here in south Wales, we had just a drop of drizzle last night, not even enough to keep the dust down though. A few lads took off silage at the weekend, crops didn't look particularly heavy. Cracking smell of some good strong dairy slurry going out here yesterday, but with no more rain forecast its gonna burn I expect!

Raining here most of the night, i was up around 4 last night watching a mare foal, still making plenty rain this morning, growthy weather indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Looking like the entire country will be getting a decent enough night of showers Thursday night.
    Back to dry after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Danzy wrote: »
    Looking like the entire country will be getting a decent enough night of showers Thursday night.
    Back to dry after that.

Only 2mm for here in the midlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

For anyone with more experience of maize during droughts, when do you start becoming worried about it lol? Sown 3rd week of April (under plastic obviously ha), and it got 15mm of rain just after, but it still hasn't punched through the plastic which I'd expect it to have by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not massive experience of it but contractor has sown it in May and has had good crops. If it can do well in drier climates surely it'll be fine in an Irish " drought"? The only metric I had heard by a certain date was knee high by 4th of july

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Timmaay wrote: »
    For anyone with more experience of maize during droughts, when do you start becoming worried about it lol? Sown 3rd week of April (under plastic obviously ha), and it got 15mm of rain just after, but it still hasn't punched through the plastic which I'd expect it to have by now.

I could never afford to grow it under plastic, but did grow it in a few dry years. Have you a thermometer under the plastic? If it was hitting 30c under the plastic in the early years of using plastic a few ppl cut the plastic with a homemade disc set up on 3 pt linkage.

Any pics? Try cutting a few metres out in the middle of a field and see what happens would be my suggestion. If you take the plastic off it's going to dry out.

If it only has 3 or 4 leaves don't cut it, it's still too cold at night around here anyway. Bah humbug 10k posts!:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm not sure if the thread title is that appropriate either. I don't think the conditions for a drought are actually met here. Slower growth? Sure absolutely, but not zero growth, and I know it's only a small amount but there is rain forecast in the next couple of days.

Maybe thread should be renamed "growth 2020"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'd say the title is grand the way the way it is.
    There's been no rain in the last few weeks in Wexford.
    We got none of what the rest of ye got. There's a brief chance of rain Friday and after that back to dry again.
    I'm still green but there has to be others in the drier areas burning by now.

I know this is an Irish forum but consider your lucky stars your not in Spain or France or south of England. They are getting absolutely nothing and Ireland is just on the boundary line from some and none with it getting worse the further south and east you go from Ireland and warmer temperatures to go with that.

ECMWF suggesting 6mm overnight Thursday into friday here in SE Wicklow,now wouldn't that be a great help if it happened?
    I'll believe it when I see it
    I smell a 2018 drought ahead thereafter

Had 4mm this week. Going out to spray the spuds tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

While we haven’t a massive amount of rain we had constant mist The odd brief shower and drizzle for 48 hours and high humidity. You can smell the Earth now and see grass greening and moving.
    Nothing all day but grass still wet which will help greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

We had a brief skiff of rain last night, first rain here in four weeks which is a complete rarity for us. Has been bitterly cold up to today so grass is well stunted and ground burnt over rocky areas. I had to turn off the hydro turbine this afternoon for the first time since 2011, just not enough water to create sufficient head of pressure. At least in 2018 the spring was wet enough and ground had a lot of moisture in it, it started to dry out too early this year Have a field ready for reseeding for 3 weeks now, have held off as I don’t want it half germinating and dying. Might sow it out on Thursday in the hope of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

How will Eamonn Ryan blame this on the farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

ECMWF suggesting 6mm overnight Thursday into friday here in SE Wicklow,now wouldn't that be a great help if it happened?
    What date roughly did the weather take up in 2018

Lots of fields here cut. It was mid summer last year before I could get a tractor onto my land. Only got 1 cut.

Will be interesting to see if they get a 2nd cut this year. I rented out my field. I don't mind either way :) though found a tick on the cat tonight. Need to have mine cut soon to make it safe for the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It looks like Wexford will be getting any rain first before Wicklow in this coming spell.
    There might be a smidgen on Wednesday night/Thursday morning and then possibly 10mm on Friday with more showers Saturday.
    Cork as usual claims it all.

• Advertisement

Latest ECMWF has dropped the total here to 5.1mm
    Probably end up with nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

visatorro wrote:
    Been forecast a few times and then when it gets closer it disappeared. Hard to have faith in something that is near impossible to predict with the weather fronts either side of Ireland like they are

No rain on 10 day outlook on met eireann now

Some growth today,first day in weeks any sign of fresh/green coming onto some paddocks

Suspect silage will be light enough,but have roughly a thrid of what i normally need,left lying over since last year,

if can get away without having to feed it to the ewes,should be ok imo

visatorro wrote: »
    No rain on 10 day outlook on met eireann now

There's rain on it alright, look at the forecast section
    Also if you're looking on your phone or mobile app,select the day and scroll through hour by hour,if you have location set to on
    The default choice is noon but if you tap the day you can scroll the whole day and if rain is expected at whatever hour
    Unless you scroll you'll think whatever it shows for noon is what's forecast for the whole day
    It's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's raining here now, thank God.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
Advertisement