Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drought 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Less than a weeks grass left. Half the cattle going to graze silage ground next week and the rest going on bales. Looking a lot worse than 2018 here at the moment.

One thing I notice different to 2018 is that back then the grass died under the trees first. This year there is nice green grass under trees and ditches and the middle of the field burned up.

It just shows the sun and the drying East wind is a bigger factor than the lack of rain.

Shows the value of shelter/shade in a field too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Theres a little bit of due here in the mornings unlike 18, also temperatures arent as high so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The drought in 2018 was a bit later was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

whelan2 wrote: »
    The drought in 2018 was a bit later was it not?

2-3 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

2-3 weeks?

Yes I think it was mid June before we realized we were in trouble back then. Even though it was drying up in the month of May that year as well.

According to the older heads the 1976 drought was much later more August and September.

Maybe the earlier start will mean an earlier finish while the growing season is still young.

Although it’s a balls that this drought is occurring during peak grass season.

I remember 2009 being a very dry June followed by a washout summer in July and August.
    But we do seem to have shifted away a lot from those wet summers of those years.

Last year was quite dry in the month of May too.
    It wasn’t a dry summer afterwards but I remember getting slightly concerned about a 2018 repeat this time last year.
    This year definitely has all the hallmarks of 2018.

2-3 weeks?

3-4 weeks later here. Was about the third week of June when grass turned.
    As silkcut says, the reason May drought is worse is that the natural grass peak will always be before heading, so if the rain comes back in July or August, growth wont compensate fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I thought the drought in 2018 was a one in 20 or thirty year event :rolleyes:

Fields starting to burn up.now

But this isnt like 2018,still some limited growth about,it was like someone crop dusted,the whole country with roundup then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Fields starting to burn up.now

But this isnt like 2018,still some limited growth about,it was like someone crop dusted,the whole country with roundup then

I think this year is just a straightforward lack of rain.

2018 was more scorching weather and lack of rain.
    It seems no two droughts are exactly the same.

For those with long memories this one is probably more similar to the green drought of 1984 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

20silkcut wrote: »
    I think this year is just a straightforward lack of rain.

2018 was more scorching weather and lack of rain.
    It seems no two droughts are exactly the same.

For those with long memories this one is probably more similar to the green drought of 1984 so far.

Temperature supposed to rise over next 3-4 days.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What are growth rates with ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I thought the drought in 2018 was a one in 20 or thirty year event :rolleyes:

Not trying to scare monger, but who knows?, weather extremes around the world have been increasing the last few years. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst is all we can do.

I took cattle off a paddock 10 days ago. Amazed at what has come back. Heavy dew every morning here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'd be definitely more inclined to call it a drought now alright, growth has started to slow a fair bit. They had said 2018 was an exceptional event, two year later it seems to be in the early stages of happening again.

It does kind of reinforce the idea of promoting more drought resistant swards in Ireland. If that idea was put forward 5 years ago, people would laugh at it. It just shows how much our weather is changing.

• Advertisement

Out of the last 10 years wet weather has caused a lot more issues here, even the spring of 18. Due to 18 summer and a dry start to this one I wouldn't be coming to any conclusions yet 're weather changing as such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was topping this morning. Grass was still wet at 11am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was topping this morning. Grass was still wet at 11am

Just finished cutting a paddock of 1800, the baler is ringing a rake to row it up because it won't be bulky enough for the baler after the wilt.

The stuff cut yesterday is rapidly turning into hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

I took cattle off a paddock 10 days ago. Amazed at what has come back. Heavy dew every morning here.

Dew doesn't add moisture it's only moisture in the ground and the plants already apparently

Dew doesn't add moisture it's only moisture in the ground and the plants already apparently

Reduces burn factor. Boots still shiny at 8.30

• Advertisement

When do ye stop spreading fertilliser then, I reckon it's better not skinning paddocks either, light grazings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ye's all think I'm as mad as two brushes. But anyway any of ye that thought ye were heading into a drought ye've missed out on not getting a foliar of seaweed and molasses two grazings before when ye thought ye would be affected.

I'll keep repeating that till I hear of another poster doing likewise.
    Probably should be using humic too myself in the mix for greater effect.

I'm even seeing a difference with the small bit of biochar slurry in the slurry over just the slurry with this weather. Get your arses in gear folks!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ye's all think I'm as mad as two brushes. But anyway any of ye that thought ye were heading into a drought ye've missed out on not getting a foliar of seaweed and molasses two grazings before when ye thought ye would be affected.

I'm even seeing a difference with the small bit of biochar slurry in the slurry over just the slurry with this weather. Get your arses in gear folks!!:p

Humic ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

pics?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    pics?

Of grass?
    Do you really want to see pics of grass?

I'll see if I've time tomorrow. There's a lot of things going on here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Setup a test plot and we'll all come visit for a farm walk. For all the raving you've done on here about this I think we need to see what going on.

Setup a test plot and we'll all come visit for a farm walk. For all the raving you've done on here about this I think we need to see what going on.

Feck off. You've your own farms to play around on. :D
    I never do tests just full on or nothing.

I sprayed diluted seawater the year before the drought in 18. Worst mistake I made. I had to buy in silage and hay when my neighbour was still grazing away.
    On the Google maps my farm had a yellow brown tint to it and his was still green.

A benefit though from all this is I've gotten away without feeding minerals now to stock over winter. I wouldn't have had a hope of doing that before.

All this malarkey is not new. Nicole Masters, Christine Jones, Kittredge they all go on about feeding the plant. Look it up for fevk sake. It works. Poly whatever they call it feeding the soil.
    The exact same as a multi species impact on soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Feck off. You've your own farms to play around on. :D
    I never do tests just full on or nothing.

I sprayed diluted seawater the year before the drought in 18. Worst mistake I made. I had to buy in silage and hay when my neighbour was still grazing away.
    On the Google maps my farm had a yellow brown tint to it and his was still green.

A benefit though from all this is I've gotten away without feeding minerals now to stock over winter. I wouldn't have had a hope of doing that before.

All this malarkey is not new. Nicole Masters, Christine Jones, Kittredge they all go on about feeding the plant. Look it up for fevk sake. It works. Poly whatever they call it feeding the soil.
    The exact same as a multi species impact on soil.
    Why do you not do test areas, surely it's common sense when your trying out new methods/techniques?

I don't have a green cert, agri degree or third level education. When I wanted to introduce more pollinator friendly flower seeds (other than linseed) to our GLAS wild bird cover (in year 2) I bought a couple of kgs and sowed in the best South facing ground to see how it established and grew. The following year I increased the order and sowed some of it into another plot that is East facing peaty soil adjoining the lake.
    I ordered 9kgs of flower seeds (phacelia and buckwheat) this year but unfortunately its the last year of our GLAS contract.

Base price wrote: »
    Why do you not do test areas, surely it's common sense when your trying out new methods/techniques?

I don't have a green cert, agri degree or third level education. When I wanted to introduce more pollinator friendly flower seeds (other than linseed) to our GLAS wild bird cover (in year 2) I bought a couple of kgs and sowed in the best South facing ground to see how it established and grew. The following year I increased the order and sowed some of it into another plot that is East facing peaty soil adjoining the lake.
    I ordered 9kgs of flower seeds (phacelia and buckwheat) this year but unfortunately its the last year of our GLAS contract.

You've answered your own question of why I do the way I do it.
    Time.
    Who knows how long any of us have on this earth.

Ah it's never really a stab in the dark. I go on the account of others first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If droughts become a feature of our climate going forward would irrigation be an option?

Presume it would be a huge investment and not cost effective for growing grass?

I know I probably sound fecking crazy talking about irrigation in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If droughts become a feature of our climate going forward would irrigation be an option?

Presume it would be a huge investment and not cost effective for growing grass?

I know I probably sound fecking crazy talking about irrigation in Ireland.

I was just about to ask when do guys start getting the umbilical systems out ,and does it even pay ?
    You'd need a fair sized pond or lake to keep up with the spreader ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Bloody talk on weather forum of frosts next week. Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hold up........ rain forecasted for tuesday in the midlands

kevthegaff wrote: »
    pics?

This is not in keeping with the thread.
    It's hard to judge from pictures.
    But..

Residuals. It stays green even after grazing. Docks are being ate too. Move over dock beetle. No need for ye when you add some seasoning.

IMG-20200529-110504.jpg

Ground spread with slurry and biochar in the tank on the left. Paddock on right got none. Slurry earlier on though.
    IMG-20200529-111421.jpg

Across the lane. Ground that got slurry (by slurry I mean dairy washings/holding yard) and not as much biochar in the spread. Tank wasn't agitated so more of the char was floating on top and in previous paddock spread.
    IMG-20200529-111459.jpg

Just another paddock on way back to yard. That got seaweed molasses. The whole farm did. But it also got humic acid from the dungheap sprayed on. Pasture has been there for over 30 years.
    IMG-20200529-111934.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

But..

Residuals. It stays green even after grazing. Docks are being ate too. Move over dock beetle. No need for ye when you add some seasoning.

IMG-20200529-110504.jpg

Ground spread with slurry and biochar in the tank on the left. Paddock on right got none. Slurry earlier on though.
    IMG-20200529-111421.jpg

Across the lane. Ground that got slurry (by slurry I mean dairy washings/holding yard) and not as much biochar in the spread. Tank wasn't agitated so more of the char was floating on top and in previous paddock spread.
    IMG-20200529-111459.jpg

Just another paddock on way back to yard. That got seaweed molasses. The whole farm did. But it also got humic acid from the dungheap sprayed on. Pasture has been there for over 30 years.
    IMG-20200529-111934.jpg

Did any of them fields get chemical fertiliser?

Did any of them fields get chemical fertiliser?

Yep. Using both.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hold up........ rain forecasted for tuesday in the midlands

The further next week goes on the greater the likelihood of rain and especially the east that wants it.
    The high pressure is splitting over Ireland and the UK is temporarily going to have lower pressure on a northerly wind. So it should hopefully give rain to the southeast from convection over land.
    Atm though the forecast is giving high pressure returning on the Sunday after but that's too far ahead.
    We'll all take the split in high pressure that looks like it's going to occur anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

But..

IMG-20200529-110504.jpg

IMG-20200529-111421.jpg

IMG-20200529-111459.jpg

IMG-20200529-111934.jpg

Cant say I really see much there tbh say. We're just as green if not greener. Okay for grass until next week. We were stocked at 4.7 to 5.5 from mid april till 2 weeks ago. Back to 4 since

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

10 bales to the acre last year from one of my main silage fields, 5 to the acre from it this year. It gine lime and dung during the winter as well as 3 bags of cut sward to the acre. Disaster of a dought here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

farming93 wrote: »
    10 bales to the acre last year from one of my main silage fields, 5 to the acre from it this year. It gine lime and dung during the winter as well as 3 bags of cut sward to the acre. Disaster of a dought here.

How much dung did it get?
    I would say not enough K with the cut sward, you probably took alot out with the 10 bales per a re last year
    K essential for the roots to absorb water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Plenty grass here in SE Wicklow thank God but we got out with a bag and a quarter of cut sward on may 4th and had over half an inch of rain that weekend
    So a nice spurt of growth followed once the cold went,we've a few paddocks ahead of the cows from that,like the one in the photo
    Ground is starting to burn a bit alright especially on the brows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Plenty grass here in SE Wicklow thank God but we got out with a bag and a quarter of cut sward on may 4th and had over half an inch of rain that weekend
    So a nice spurt of growth followed once the cold went,we've a few paddocks ahead of the cows from that,like the one in the photo
    Ground is starting to burn a bit alright especially on the brows

My silage ground is hardly that good😪
    I think grass is starting to go back into the ground here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Tileman wrote: »
    My silage ground is hardly that good😪
    I think grass is starting to go back into the ground here.

Yeah, the rain came here just at the right time,but going forward, we would want more
    2018 here was rough
    Burnt to a cinder from now to Late August
    2nd cut silage in October in bright sunshine,it was good stuff,so never be afraid of doing the unusual, it'll work out hopefully

Took off some surplus yday, fert out on silage ground today and yday, got slurry last week coming back strong after first cut. The rain we had last wkend really drove it on followed by a bit of heat Will keep some for grazing and close the rest for a second cut and try and cut some paddocks in the main grazingbblock to keep quality. Growth still good and utilization good, keeping the sr high to try and keep quality right for the next 2 week's anyway. Got caught on heifer ground with growth coming in together so have them strip grazing a bit as if I took out more there I'd be short next week. Should have acted faster there.

Cant say I really see much there tbh say. We're just as green if not greener. Okay for grass until next week. We were stocked at 4.7 to 5.5 from mid april till 2 weeks ago. Back to 4 since

Photos don't do it justice. And anyway you're using physolith.
    So you're on the kind of light side if you know it or not.
    You had cows coughing though too didn't you. It's all connected. Starts with the soil.
    You'll have to find ways sooner or later of alternative ways than the current fert, spray, dose stock regime. Even vaccinations shouldn't be needed and could be pulled by the authorities.
    And it all starts with the soil. The soil, to plant, to stock, to you.
    Don't get me started on dairy farmers and not consuming their own produce. Or any farmer.

And very soon farmers might not have the option of upping nitrogen before a drought.
    And really tbh it's only ensuring you run into the drought faster. All you're doing is keeping your roots short and depleting your soil carbon (ala moisture).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Meadows are well back from last year. I don't know what the panic is with some lads but you can see fields mowed for silage that could easily have been left growing for at least another 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Meadows are well back from last year. I don't know what the panic is with some lads but you can see fields mowed for silage that could easily have been left growing for at least another 3 weeks

I saw something similar around here the last couple of days, one lad sees his neighbour cutting so he has to do it himself. Now the big panic is on everywhere to get it done, regardless of the crop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit of sensible advice on managing grass during the drought.
    https://twitter.com/AHDB_Dairy/status/1266340334528856064?s=09

Another 3 weeks it'll be all seed and stem

Mooooo wrote: »
    Another 3 weeks it'll be all seed and stem

There is that too,but jesus,some lads are cutting lawn clippings at this stage

Id be suprised,if some of what i seen cut recently would even make a bale to the acre

Surely theres better way for lads to burn diesel?

• Advertisement
Advertisement