Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts size compatability

Options
  • 06-05-2020 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am upgrading my PC and I have already checked https://pcpartpicker.com/ and the parts go together, but they cannot advice on size/space.

Question therefor is, do these parts fit together size-wise?

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler
    MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
    Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi,

I am upgrading my PC and I have already checked https://pcpartpicker.com/ and the parts go together, but they cannot advice on size/space.

Question therefor is, do these parts fit together size-wise?

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler
    MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card
    Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case

Thanks

It looks fine, the cooler is listed as 15.9 cm and max specified by the case is 180mm, a little tight but should still be fine.

Just my opinion, but for that money, I'd put the 80GBP you save into 3200 ram and be going with something like a Ryzen 7 3700x

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

barryribs wrote: »
    It looks fine, the cooler is listed as 15.9 cm and max specified by the case is 180mm, a little tight but should still be fine.

Just my opinion, but for that money, I'd put the 80GBP you save into 3200 ram and be going with something like a Ryzen 7 3700x

Thanks dude.

I already have the ram though, 32GB, if thats what you mean. I just listed it as it all sits together on the mobo. The cooler I have now, sits just 1mm above the first ram module. Its very tight, and annoying.

I see the AMD is 100 euro cheaper than the Intel CPU. If the performance is the same then why not. What are pros and cons of AMD?

Poncke wrote: »
    Thanks dude.

I already have the ram though, 32GB, if thats what you mean. I just listed it as it all sits together on the mobo. The cooler I have now, sits just 1mm above the first ram module. Its very tight, and annoying.

I see the AMD is 100 euro cheaper than the Intel CPU. If the performance is the same then why not. What are pros and cons of AMD?

Sorry I meant 3200 MHz ram rather than 3000 MHz. I'll check the dimensions tomorrow to see how much you will have to spare around the ram, but with the shape of your heatsink I think you'll be fine.

Theres arguments to be made for both Intel and AMD but in terms of bang for your buck, it's hard to beat. AMD's focus has been on gaming for the past 12-28 months or so, which based on your gpu, is what you're looking for. Check out some of the benchmark scores of each before you buy and obviously the motherboard will have to have the AM4 socket if you did decide

From what I've worked out from the manuals, you are going to be left with 0.227mm of clearance from the ram. Thats going by the measurments from the motherboard manual and specifications of the heatsink + fan.

If you aren't happy with that, you could mount the fan on the rear side of the heatsink in pull mode?

Advertisement