Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small slab of granite?

• 07-05-2020 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'd like to get a small slab of granite - ideally as close to 20 x 30 cm as possible. The idea is placing it under a subwoofer to absorb any vibration, stopping transfer to the floor. SO it does not have to look nice.

Where can I look for that around Limerick and what kind of price should I expect to pay? Also is there hope such places would open come May 18?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Roadstone would sell that but they might have a minimum order size. I suggest you inquire.

https://www.roadstone.ie/

We got granite slabs off them for our patio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You'd get a nice piece of granite from anyplace that does stone worktops for kitchens, hearths for fireplaces or a monumental stoneworks, probably 20mm or 30mm thick, cut to size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Other than Granite you could buy a paving slab, would that be effective. Average price starts around €3.50+ from most places as they are just coloured and formed cement/concrete. Unsure if that place by the Parkway by the train bridge is open for business. Might dull the sound at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Oh yeah don't get granite if you don't care what it looks like. It's a premium product.

Maybe a bit of rubber would work better for your purposes though? You could get a rubber mat and cut it yourself with a decent knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

You'd get a nice piece of granite from anyplace that does stone worktops for kitchens, hearths for fireplaces or a monumental stoneworks, probably 20mm or 30mm thick, cut to size.
    They will have plenty of off cuts as they have to cut out a sink or a hob from worktops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks a lot!

I do have some kind of rubber foam under it, not doing enough, so I want to use something HEAVY. Really high density.

But I did now check and I found that concrete has a density only marginally lower than that of granite. Concrete blocks are not hard to get, they don't even have to be pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Check adverts.ie

Advertisement