Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is SSD better than SD card for Raspberry Pi?

Options
  • 07-05-2020 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. It works well, but my 2nd micro-SD card is having issues. I flash it, put RecaBox on it, put a few roms on it, it works for a bit, but then it stops working. Have had a similar issue with RetroPie.

Having looked into it, it seems my issue is incorrectly turning off the Pi. In other words, yanking out the power. Although I could turn it off correctly, once I have the Pi working correctly, I'll be handing it over to a mate who will just power it off by pulling the plug.

Thus, I'm wondering would an SSD fare better than a micro-SD card? Would be connecting it by USB to the Pi. As it'll be only running ROMS, I can't see speed being too much of an issue. But would powering it off incorrectly damage the SSD as badly as the micro-SD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The OS is writing things to the disk, you're not letting it stop these actions and gracefully shut. This will happen with any storage medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Adding a power button is an easy mod to the pi, could be something to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ED E wrote: »
    The OS is writing things to the disk, you're not letting it stop these actions and gracefully shut. This will happen with any storage medium.
    Cool. Google only mentioned micro-SD's dying, so thought I'd ask.
    gouche wrote: »
    Yup, shall look into it. Will probably get it before I continue to tinker with it further with the RecalBox. Am happy that I found this out now, before I gave it to my mate, and him thinking that he somehow broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Android to Computers & technology

gouche wrote: »
    In my search for a button, I came across this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GS7HQLB/ Going to look around, but this seems to be a fairly cheap fix for my issue.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    In my search for a button, I came across this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GS7HQLB/ Going to look around, but this seems to be a fairly cheap fix for my issue.
    Just to update this thread; would avoid the piboxy devices. The piboxy.com/install downloads a package, and then the install then looks for an old package that has been replaced. Thus the installer fails, and the power button doesn't get programmed with the correct kill switch; rather it just cuts the power.

It gave the error
    modprobe: FATAL: Module i2c-dev not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.97-v7+
    after reformatting the SD card, and trying again, before running the script, the modules folder would have the "4.19.97-v7+" folder, but during the script, it would pull down an updated version; I think it was 4.19.118

Have emailed the site.

Advertisement