Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weedkiller

• 07-05-2020 8:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, looking for some advice regarding weedkiller.

I am planning on using weedkiller this weekend around the house. While I dont have any pets myself, I do live in an estate and cats wander through the garden and spray various trees from time to time.

The weedkiller says to keep pets away for a period of time after application.

What would the usual protocol here be? I obviously cant stand guard all day, and have pulled as many of the weeds as possible.

Is there an animal safe weedkiller maybe?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hi guys, looking for some advice regarding weedkiller.

I am planning on using weedkiller this weekend around the house. While I dont have any pets myself, I do live in an estate and cats wander through the garden and spray various trees from time to time.

The weedkiller says to keep pets away for a period of time after application.

What would the usual protocol here be? I obviously cant stand guard all day, and have pulled as many of the weeds as possible.

Is there an animal safe weedkiller maybe?

TIA

An hour after application is safe for animals once it’s dried in.obviously don’t use it if it’s wet as it’s less effective on weeds.
    Roundup Gallup etc are all pet safe after an hour.
    That’s all you can do.
    It’s up to the pet owners after that.
    If it’s a selective weed killer for grass lawns it’s the same practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

a blow torch is another option unless you have a big area to cover

if its only a weed here and there id look at torch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

jimf wrote: »
    a blow torch is another option unless you have a big area to cover

if its only a weed here and there id look at torch

i had a look online. you can get specific weed killer torches, but they're pretty expensive. will give a generic blow torch a look.

at the very least, it will be kind of exciting. taking the fight to the weeds with fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

i had a look online. you can get specific weed killer torches, but they're pretty expensive. will give a generic blow torch a look.

at the very least, it will be kind of exciting. taking the fight to the weeds with fire!

you will feel like Rambo :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Not just the cats - they'll probably only walk on it. Spare a thought for the garden birds and the feeding of chicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

An hour after application is safe for animals once it’s dried in.obviously don’t use it if it’s wet as it’s less effective on weeds.
    Roundup Gallup etc are all pet safe after an hour.
    That’s all you can do.
    It’s up to the pet owners after that.
    If it’s a selective weed killer for grass lawns it’s the same practice

Whats the best advice for weeding with kids around? How long afterwards can they play on the lawn? Is there a non toxic alternative? For some reason I have it in my head that weeds don't like salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I got one of these things a few days ago and I feel so much better using one of these compared to a traditional weed sprayer.
    I have zero worries about putting poisons into the environment, or me or my dog coming into contact with these compounds

https://gasequipment.ie/product-category/blow-torches/weed-burners/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

in the end i went pulling (the weeds :pac:) myself. the weather was lovely. might give the above a look into cos its goddam back breaking work!

Advertisement