Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using home audio bookshelf speakers in a camper conversion?

• 07-05-2020 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm looking for a way to be able to demount and reposition the rear speakers (which I'm yet to buy) in a camper conversion, to be able to move them around depending on use (whether I'm driving, or watching something in the back) and to be also able to trail them outside. I'll also have passengers in the rear sometimes when driving so want them connected to the same sound system as the sub and front speakers, so going for a separate bluetooth set isn't an option for example.

The original idea was to go for a regular set of 6.5 inch pioneer speakers and just make a DIY enclosure for these. I know nothing of audio technicalities and wouldn't be following any science of how to make the enclosure for good sound, so was advised against this as it would probably end up sounding bad.

The new idea was to get a set of home bookshelf speakers since these are already in their own custom built enclosures and would sound a lot better than any oul enclosure I'd throw together myself surely

I thought as long as I could get 4ohm home bookshelf speakers, I'd be ok, I was even advised 6 or 8ohm would still work. I've just gone and completely overwhelmed myself after a chat with Crutchfield live chat. I was asking about my idea with going for these Wharfedale D320 speakers and the agent said that even though they are 4ohm, that it says on the listing "high-current amplification from a quality power amp or integrated amplifier is recommended for best performance", so I was then told the 45w RMS amp in the Sony MEX 120bt head unit I was going to buy, wouldn't be enough and that I'd need an amp that would be able to deliver at least 75% of the speaker power, so 75w/100w in this case, as otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get them to work as they would on a power amp or integrated amp at home?

To then accommodate this, I'd need a car audio power amp, which for crutchfield's in house brand will cost $140: https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rETNc108/p_777M754/Sound-Ordnance-M75-4.html?tp=35782

but for a more revered brand like alpine, capable of the same output, will cost $370: https://www.crutchfield.com/I-rETNc108/p_500KTA30FW/Alpine-KTA-30FW-Tough-Power-Pack.html?tp=35782

I understand it may be possible to blow an amp using speakers that aren't suited, but from what I know, this only applies to older home amps and more modern home/car ones could handle this no problem?

I need to work this into a budget, I've already bought a Rockford Fosgate P-300-12 sub woofer with built in amp, the front speaker stock replacement is an easy enough decision and I've another Pioneer set in mind for that, so it's just the rear speaker and head unit and possibly amp I need that's really confusing me. The only requirement I have for a head unit is that it has bluetooth, aux and a remote control. I'm aiming for a target of around 45w RMS from the system, which the built in amp of the Sony MEX 120bt is capable of, and I was trying to save money by going for this as opposed to a separate head unit and amp, but I guess I could try find a used head unit, as long as it's got 6 preamp ouputs (2 for front, 2 for rear and 2 for sub), aux, bluetooth and a remote. I just want each part to work ok with the next and not to end up spending more or buying more parts than I need, if I can achieve the same with less cost and less parts.

Any help or feedback on this at all would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

For campervans, people usually prefer the front door speakers. Especially they don't need to play music a lot but yes, I also consider bookshelf speakers a good option for camper conversation, and you can see a detailed guide here http://cyberpunkist.com/best-bookshelf-speakers/ about bookshelf speakers and factors that you should consider before buying bookshelf speaker. I am using 2 bookshelf speakers for my home theatre with subs, and they are doing a fantastic job for me.

Secondly, do you think build-it subwoofer is better than the separate ones? My experience says separate attachment is better, but yes, you can search and pick an option which suits you the best.

By the way, why don't you consider soundbars? They could be a better option for small spaces. My friend is using Bose Mini Soundlink for his motorhome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey thanks for the reply, I've actually completed my setup now. Rather than bookshelf speakers, I ended up searching for wall mount speakers and found JBL Control 1 Pro to be recommended for 4ohm, so ended up finding a pair of these for a good price on Ebay and went for them. They'll also be a lot more suited to my van than bookshelf speakers would have been, both in terms of size and already having mounting brackets :)

Sub with built in amp: Rockford Fosgate P300-12 - bought used with wiring kit ~€212
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-BT3800U - bought used for ~€25
    Amp: JBL Stage A9004 - bought new ~€130
    Front Speakers: Focal 130AS - bought new ~€110
    Rear Speakers: JBL Control One Pro Wall Mount 150w 4ohm - bought used for ~€50

Advertisement