Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quercus robur (English Oak) as a hedge to screen garden shed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oak is not a plant i've ever really seen being used in that manner. hornbeam might be an alternative to beech, but it's harder to get and more expensive. plus, you won't be able to buy bare root at this stage.

oak is not a plant i've ever really seen being used in that manner. hornbeam might be an alternative to beech, but it's harder to get and more expensive. plus, you won't be able to buy bare root at this stage.

I also have not seen Oak as a hedge but am very keen to give it a try. This website suggests it's possible but I am keen to read experiences of anyone who has seen an oak hedge or tried growing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oak are notoriously slow growing, and relatively fussy about where they will grow. I'd say the shed will be long gone before oak trees would screen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are some oaks here in mixed hedge rows. They spend a lot of the year with no leaves on them and the branches are not as dense as with some other hedge plants. Would it be worth considering an evergreen oak hedge?

Advertisement