Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me Basic Garden Strimmer

Options
  • 07-05-2020 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Ok sourced a lawnmower and now for a strimmer

Its mid size garden and looking for strimmer to cut grass along the path in back garden and around the edges

Nothing to expensive and either battery or cord

So many out there just looking for guidance etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My - limited, and some time ago - previous experience has been that cheaper strimmers are not a lot of use - and I am a person that happily uses Lidl drills etc. Through a range of convoluted circumstances we have a Husqvarna €300-ish strimmer which is amazing and reliable. Probably overkill for a very small garden but the only one I've had that goes near to doing what it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

I got a bosch corded one a few years ago in woodies. I didn't pay more than €50 for it. Works well, no issues yet. I would nt spend any more than that as I ve only a small garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

battery one with the plastic blades are the way to go for a small to mid size garden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

corded are a pain in the arse, petrol ones can be troublesome to start if you don't have the mix spot on, not to mention heavy

battery is the way to go imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Picked up a Bosch cordless with plastic blades in Argos some years ago when moved in first.

Perfect machine for a medium garden tbh.

However worked out my garden isn't medium it's 3/4 so had to get a petrol one.

Still use the Bosch alot for little cleanups around the robo mower though. I'd recommend it hands down.

Just noticed that the below doesn't come with a battery

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DUR181Z-Cordless-Li-ion-Trimmer/dp/B00JC4W3N2

Keep suggestions coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I picked up this one in woodies just before the lockdown in March for €40 https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/art-26-sl-06008a5100-v35251 My only fault with it is that the cord is maybe 5 or 6m long, plugged into a 5m cable reel there's about 1m at the end of the garden I can't reach :rolleyes: Need to buy a new extension lead.

My garden is only maybe 11m x 7m and I just use it to tidy up the edges around flowerbeds and the fence. It replaces the 20 year old black and decker one that still functions nearly perfectly just the head cracked and the spool used to launch itself around the garden after a few minutes of use, was proving hard to find a replacement head on the cheap so just replaced it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

fryup wrote: »
    corded are a pain in the arse, petrol ones can be troublesome to start if you don't have the mix spot on, not to mention heavy

battery is the way to go imo

No need for getting mix spot on.

Any occasional user of any petrol engine machine should use Aspen or similar.

Once stored out of elements, not having fuel going off will remove most reliability issues. Aspen will last for 12 months or so.

I'd look at Tanaka, Olemac and similar if going petrol.

If you go battery do your research on replacement cost and life span of battery when occasionally used/charged. It'll be idle for 6 months of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ok, fair enough, I might consider a lightweight battery one for odd corners between the big one being used, evidently they have improved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I posted something like this on the lawnmower thread and one of the lads recommened a battery powered greenworks strimmer , I had been eyeing it up before that

I posted something like this on the lawnmower thread and one of the lads recommened a battery powered greenworks strimmer , I had been eyeing it up before that

Saw that but it's 193stg and my garden not worth that. Not sure if to get battery as it will be idle for half of the year

I'm still checking options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

On a similar vein, any recommendations on a decent strimmer (I had assumed petrol as I always feel electric tools in the garden as hassle but open to suggestions if they're good) - currently in a rental with a sh*te lawnmower (no height adjust :( ) but the lawn is small so a strimmer would do the job. I'd hope to have a decent sized garden in the future so I wouldn't mind investing in a Stihl or other good make.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭thereitisgone

My opinion, petrol motor cant be beaten, even for smaller gardens
    Bought cheap cable at start then bought cheap battery model
    Then thought had solved it with bosch blade model
    Had drills everything same battery, but then i finally bought a cheap hyundai petrol motor one
    Has much thicker cutting cable option
    Should have bought at beginning
    Buy bigger and tougher than you think you need

Advertisement