Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel the Leaving Cert...but there is a catch

Options
  • 07-05-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭

It is possible that the Leaving Cert exams may be cancelled entirely this year. In order to determine pupil's grades and their CAO points the main alternative being discussed appears to be Predictive marking based on past results.

There are a lot of unknowns here but let's say, for the sake of argument, that the department choose to go down this route. Now let's take it a step further and assume that this leads to points inflation, ie the points for all courses go up considerably. This results in a lot of pupils missing out on their #1 course.

So, would you choose to go with the Predictive marking if it meant that you couldn't do your #1 course?

Cancel the LC and miss out on my #1 CAO pick? 19 votes

Yes, I'd prefer to cancel the exams and not get my #1 pick
    89% 17 votes
    No, I'd rather sit the exams
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭kaahooters

repeat the year for all schools all years, its the only fair way outta this, espically with a predicted 2nd virus wave in winter with more possible lockdowns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Even in a normal year, many, MANY people do not get their first choice course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

spurious wrote: »
    Even in a normal year, many, MANY people do not get their first choice course.

This is going to be more subjective though. People miss out after sitting the traditional LC, sure, but the results are the results. They’re concrete.

I shudder to think of my small town school deciding the grades of the students. There will be biases, lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

kaahooters wrote: »
    repeat the year for all schools all years, its the only fair way outta this, espically with a predicted 2nd virus wave in winter with more possible lockdowns.

But then at the end of next year you have double the number of students leaving second level education. Will there be double the number of places on all the courses they want to take up in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hrududu wrote: »
    But then at the end of next year you have double the number of students leaving second level education. Will there be double the number of places on all the courses they want to take up in college?

No you don't.

Everyone, at every level, repeats a year. Well not really a year cos they were only in school until early Narch anyway, and with the kickdown most have probably forgotten everything they learned anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hrududu wrote: »
    No.

That simple, no.

Most colleges are currently straining with first year numbers to stay within H&S guidelines.

As in ... if you have a theatre rated for 200, you might get away with a class of 210, coz a few will always be missing, but trying to stuff a class of 300 in there is seriously dangerous.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No you don't.

Everyone, at every level, repeats a year. Well not really a year cos they were only in school until early Narch anyway, and with the kickdown most have probably forgotten everything they learned anyways.

So colleges get no new entrants from LC this Sept??

No you don't.

This would mean every single person currently attending school repeating the year to avoid the double numbers leaving at once.

What about the children due to start school this year? Hold them back? But then what about the kids that were due to start the year after that, now there are double the number there? What about the universities that will have an entire year of no new students? Unless they all come from abroad?

Logistically this makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

No you don't.

That would mean there would be no graduates one year.

Also there would be 2x the number of people starting
    primary school in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

That's a pretty stupid poll. Like, if I put MSISS as number 1 and Economics and Finance as no. 2, to hell I'd pick my second choice. Either way, there are plenty of high points courses so someone could just apply to all of them and get their no.6 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭kaahooters

so my simple solution seems to have been complicated by some.

ill reiterate.

all schools repeat the year.

infints stay infants, 6th years stay 6th years ect ect.

if they were due to start in sepotmeber 2020, they start in september 2021.

no double years.

theres going to be a depression anyway,(no jobs for graduates) and its the minimal impactfull option, no matter what some think.

collages can be bailed out for a year, whats another 100 million euro or so at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ill reiterate.

no double years.

theres going to be a depression anyway,(no jobs for graduates) and its the minimal impactfull option, no matter what some think.

collages can be bailed out for a year, whats another 100 million euro or so at this point.

Repeating your simple solution doesn't make it right. Where will all the five year olds go that were due to start school this year, if everyone was to repeat the year? Bearing in mind that repeating a year for what amounts to about 6 weeks work is not worth it.

Where will all the creches fit all these extra children who have nowhere to go? Parents can avail of the ECCE scheme for places in creches for 3 and 4 year olds. Not 5 years olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

ill reiterate.

no double years.

You could do with repeating a year or two yourself with that spelling.

no double years.
    Along with all the other children that were due to start in 2021 also? Hence a double year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭ForestFire

It doesn't matter what the points were last year. The only think that affects points for a particular course, is the students that applied for the course and what points they get.

If all the students who normally apply for doctors courses, and get 600+ points, suddenly decide to apply for an electronics degree in WIT (about 400 points when I done it I think), then the points for this course would raise suddenly to 600.

If everyone's calculated points went up by the same level, and they apy for the same courses, the same students would get their first choice, on average.

A lot of pupils are "encouraged" to apply for "better" courses based on their "expected" results and potential salary, most of the time and that's why doctors need 600 points and electronics needs 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ill reiterate.

no double years.

Nothing is ever simple. How do you know what will be needed on 4 years (or whenever a course finishes) jobs wise. For a year we will have no new nurses, doctors, dentists, gardai etc.

Again there has to be a double year somewhere be it in primary or secondary. Unless you mean those who are going to baby infants get held back and then you have problem with creche.

No plan is simple and if you think it is you have not thought it out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

HBC08 wrote: »
    You could do with repeating a year or two yourself with that spelling.
    Be nice! ;)

I can be an incredible Grammar Nazi when editing (which I do a fair amount of), but Boards has never been about perfect grammar ... or gits who think that their ability to critique spelling / grammar means that they actually know more than the rest of us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Be nice! ;)

I can be an incredible Grammar Nazi when editing (which I do a fair amount of), but Boards has never been about perfect grammar ... or gits who think that their ability to critique spelling / grammar means that they actually know more than the rest of us! ;)

Tongue in cheek but point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No you don't.

This has to go down as your OBumbliest comment on this site to date!

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ban4dathanx

I wud prefer sit exams and do wht I've been working so hard 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I cannot imagine any 6th year student being told, yeah, you have to do this all over again for a year.
    Not a hope would I have agreed to that aged 18.No way.

Advertisement