Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PEK Flights - Routing

Options
  • 07-05-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the FR24 thread a few days ago but it got no answer.

I've noticed that all the DUB-PEK flights don't go onto the Great Circle route to Beijing until they've crossed the UK, yet the ones going the other way appear to take a more direct path. Can someone who knows such things offer any insights as to why they're doing this?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yep interesting question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

One possibility is the jetstream which typically goes east. So flying east you want to ride the jetstream as much as possible but coming west you want to avoid it as much as possible hence coming in from a more northerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Probably got to do with the standard routes through UK airspace which can be found in the Standard Route Document NATS publish

Two possible reasons. First, U.K. mil activity in the North Sea not allowing flight planning through there. Second, there has been a strong westbound wind in the upper levels overhead the U.K. for the last few days, it might just be more economical to go east before joining the “great circle” route.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Its not like the Atlantic NATS tracks. Its full radar the whole way passing through multiple FIR on standard airways. There is a 'north' route and a south route depending on wind. The former takes you over Ulan Batar

• Advertisement

UK has yet to adopt "Free Route Airspace", so FPL must follow standard routes in UK airspace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

UK has yet to adopt "Free Route Airspace", so FPL must follow standard routes in UK airspace

I guess the question I have is why they go that way at all – they don't for the return journey, which comes in over Finland.

Does the standard route through the UK only apply eastbound?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Noxegon wrote: »
    I guess the question I have is why they go that way at all – they don't for the return journey, which comes in over Finland.

Does the standard route through the UK only apply eastbound?

Certainly through the UK, they can file eastbound further north similar to the inbound routing if they wish.

Sometimes it’s best not to question why LIDO flight planning comes up with what it does because nobody knows:confused:

Advertisement