Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The left or the right...

Options
  • 07-05-2020 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

I feel that the left side of the political debates and sociology seem to be more emotionally triggered than the right.

The left seem to be very self destructive narcissistic and machiavellism seems to be more prevalent on the left.

The left accuse the right of being cold, calculated and lacking empathy.

Being a moderate I can see the benefits of some leftist ideas and some of the more right leaning ideas.

But I find the left more intolerable, and they shout,scream and have absolutely shocking reactions to the right.
    Basically the far left seem self destructive.

The far right can be a bit ruthless, but I'd prefer to live in a society where we can laugh,tell non pc joke's, enjoy satire at the right and left..

I suppose I'm not sensitive to being brought down a peg or two, if I'm wrong I'll admit it and move on.
    But the lefty liberals, Social Justice warriors never seem to say sorry, they're like dead wood...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

nthclare wrote: »
    I feel that the left side of the political debates and sociology seem to be more emotionally triggered than the right.

The left seem to be very self destructive narcissistic and machiavellism seems to be more prevalent on the left.

Being a moderate I can see the benefits of some leftist ideas and some of the more right leaning ideas.

But I find the left more intolerable, and they shout,scream and have absolutely shocking reactions to the right.

The far right can be a bit ruthless, but I'd prefer to live in a society where we can laugh,tell non pc joke's, enjoy satire at the right and left..

I suppose I'm not sensitive to being brought down a peg or two, if I'm wrong I'll admit it and move on.
    But the lefty liberals, Social Justice warriors never seem to say sorry, they're like dead wood...

It sounds like you watch/read right wing U.S. style media exclusively.
    Have you seen the right wing people who embrace such terms as SJW and snowflake out protesting social distancing because they want haircuts and pie?
    It should be about left and right looking to improve society for everyone, but differing on how that might be achieved. If that's not the goal you've no business being in politics IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

Being a moderate

Pull the ****ing other one. It's getting just a little bit tedious hearing from all these self-professed "moderates" who never, ever criticise literal neo-Nazis but only ever have criticisms for 'the left'. You're not fooling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Absymal thread is absymal.

Firstly classifying people into three large blocks, is moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Extremists of any ideology are ruthless, isn't just the preserve of the right tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This is going to end well it also has nothing to do with current affairs.

By the way OP not having a go at you I really mean that.

These threads get nasty fast they are not worth it.;)

Left and right are meaningless anyway the only thing that matters is right and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So you're not a moderate. You just want yet another thread moaning about the left. That's fine. It would just have been better to open with that instead of this pretence.

We do.

I could say the same for racists, xenophobes, homophobes, fascists, neo-Nazis and libertarians all of whom have escaped criticism in your OP.

Again, that's fine but it would be nice if people could drop the "I'm a moderate" facada and just be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You just want yet another thread moaning about the left.

Well I will be honest I love a good old moan about the left.:D

But like I pointed out to the OP this has nothing to do with Current Affairs and it is not worth the hassle.

In fairness the left love a good old moan about Trump threads.:D

OP

the left

sorry

the online left dont believe you can be an inch to the right of them without you being a supporter of every evil visited upon anyone, ever. see above.

dont worry. theyre usually quiet all day irl. sounder irl too as a rule, but probably seething with judgement until they get to a keyboard.

the online right dont believe anyone to the left of them can get anything done or have any people skills, despite most of that lot (online right, to be clear) struggling to get up out of their mums basement to get more doritos.

they are sounder irl too, as a rule tho. most ppl are.

ppl who behave as extreme irl as they do on the internet would either be utterly alone within a minute or on the floor within a minute.

the interesting question is which of their selves is the real them? the way they behave facing a screen or the way they behave facing a person?

either way, both ends are obviously a disaster. id tend to agree with the aims of the left/centre and would probably rather spend a pint with the right/centre, anyone further to either end than that, nah no thanks

OP

the left

sorry

the online left dont believe you can be an inch to the right of them without you being a supporter of every evil visited upon anyone, ever. see above.

dont worry. theyre usually quiet all day irl. sounder irl too as a rule, but probably seething with judgement until they get to a keyboard.

the online right dont believe anyone to the left of them can get anything done or have any people skills, despite most of that lot (online right, to be clear) struggling to get up out of their mums basement to get more doritos.

they are sounder irl too, as a rule tho. most ppl are.

ppl who behave as extreme irl as they do on the internet would either be utterly alone within a minute or on the floor within a minute.

the interesting question is which of their selves is the real them? the way they behave facing a screen or the way they behave facing a person?

either way, both ends are obviously a disaster. id tend to agree with the aims of the left/centre and would probably rather spend a pint with the right/centre, anyone further to either end than that, nah no thanks

Only problem with the centre is they get nothing done.

Extreme left USSR

Built massive industrial base
    Became a world super power
    Put the first man in space

Extreme right Nazi Germany
    Created massive and fast economic growth
    Became a world super power
    Built the rockets that made it possible to put men in space

Only problem with either of them is they killed millions and millions of people the USSR 60 to 80 million.

People blindly following orders seems more like the problem to me.

im all for getting nothing done, me

what the right believes doesnt concern me as long as they dont get their claws too far in anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

As a moderate, I would quite happily have you thrown into a gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

YouTube's algorithm has a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There are self-described left-wingers who loathe that crap too. Andrew Doyle, who is behind the hilarious Titania McGrath parody account on Twitter is one of them.

And I can't help but notice that you doing that thing of pretending to be balanced and claiming not to have a side but giving only cursory criticism to one side of the debate. Not very convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Pull the ****ing other one. It's getting just a little bit tedious hearing from all these self-professed "moderates" who never, ever criticise literal neo-Nazis but only ever have criticisms for 'the left'. You're not fooling anyone.

Fairly extreme statement given the OPs fairly moderate reasonable post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

As a moderate, I would quite happily have you thrown into a gulag.

Along with the terfs, amiright.

One of the problems with this debate is the definition of leftists and rightist tends to be driven by American ideologies, and the problem is all of these American ideologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I can see some of the OPs points but he's got too many guns trained left and not enough the other way. I sometimes agree with ideas that are on the left and some that are on the right. It's all down to what makes sense to for any given issue. To my mind, if someone is always agreeing with the left or with the right then they're not thinking hard enough and are just letting an ideology, or other people, do their thinking for them. I find the idea that one side has got all the right answers to be simply laughable. This is why I could never join a political party. Inevitably I'd find myself having to argue for at least some things that I'd think were wrong.

Yes, the left can be very annoying and can be frighteningly intolerant, and the biggest threat to freedom of expression is almost certainly coming from the left (but not all of the left). On the other hand, the right has some very scary people too and are just as cool-headed at manipulating people/the system as anyone on the left. And you have to look to the right for sheer indifference towards one's fellow man.

That's not to say that everyone on the left or right thinks like that, just saying that neither side has the monopoly on bad ideas or bad faith. And of course, I'm talking about left and right as they are now before someone drags the obvious extremes like Hitler and Stalin into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This is just American politics. Most people in Ireland don't conform to either stereotype. The amount of extreme left or right in this country is so minuscule it's not worth taking about.

Most in Ireland would be moderate. I just wish we could think for ourselves and stop trailing after the US like a mentally retarded puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

One thing noticeable on boards the last the year or so is where once the progressives were full of withering put downs, laughing, sneering and taking the p1ss out of the right.
    Now they're full of bile and vitriol, use quite agressive language and can barely contain their rage.
    There's a change in the air..

FVP3 wrote: »
    Along with the terfs, amiright.

I don't know what that is. Is it an American thing? If so, then yes, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I don't know what that is. Is it an American thing? If so, then yes, absolutely.

A name given to biological women who want to keep their own private spaces free from those with a d!CK by trans women (men). It stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist and it's a bullsh!t term.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    A name given to biological women who want to keep their own private spaces free from those with a d!CK by trans women (men). It stands for Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist and it's a bullsh!t term.

The kind of stuff that Graham Linehan is always going on (and on, and on...) about then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

This is just American politics. Most people in Ireland don't conform to either stereotype. The amount of extreme left or right in this country is so minuscule it's not worth taking about.

Most in Ireland would be moderate. I just wish we could think for ourselves and stop trailing after the US like a mentally retarded puppy.

I’d agree, but it seems like college students in Ireland are using terms like “fascist” and “Nazi” more and more, without actually knowing what they mean.

Like a lot of first world countries, Irish kids have been coddled their whole life, and have a skewed view in the whole idealism vs realism debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Cobalt17 wrote: »
    I’d agree, but it seems like college students in Ireland are using terms like “fascist” and “Nazi” more and more, without actually knowing what they mean.

Like a lot of first world countries, Irish kids have been coddled their whole life, and have a skewed view in the whole idealism vs realism debate.
    I don't think anyone actually knows what the meaning of the word Nazi, Fascist, communist is anymore. It just seems to be something I don't agree with. Oh yes clearly fascism, or communism.

And as for using the word liberal in it's American meaning by Europeans is just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The hard left have a hatred for the straight white male and especially if he is of Judeo-Christian heritage, whereas the hard right have a hatred for those outside of the aforementioned grouping. This hatred diminishes the more you move towards the centre from either extreme end of the spectrum.

Irish people, generally are slightly left-of-centre in my opinion.

Advertisement