Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pebbles on plants

• 07-05-2020 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I repottted a plant that had little pebbles on top. I was going to get some more when i can it seems they keep moisture in.. I just thought I would ask if people do this in case of any downside for my other plants. They did not cause any issue with the one i had them on. I would like something more decorative but would there be anything in them that would be harmful

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it have been perlite or vermiculite? Is so, there shouldn't be any problem but it'd all depends on the requirements of the specific plant.

If it's normal pebbles, again, there shouldn't be any issue. If you're looking for something more decorative, perhaps you could consider some glass pebbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

New Home wrote: »
    Could it have been perlite or vermiculite? Is so, there shouldn't be any problem but it'd all depends on the requirements of the specific plant.

If it's normal pebbles, again, there shouldn't be any issue. If you're looking for something more decorative, perhaps you could consider some glass pebbles.
    what i had were little pebbles not vermiculite which is actually in the potting mix. I would like glass or deoorative pebbles,yes. i was wondering would there be anything in them harmful. It might be washed in when watering?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I doubt it, they'd be stable enough. Just wash them thoroughly before you use them in case they've been treated with any chemicals and maybe don't use ones that have been painted (again, if you wash them, you should soon realise if the paint is water soluble).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,622 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I often use small pebbles on pot plants, I think they do well with them, helps hold in moisture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

looksee wrote: »
    I often use small pebbles on pot plants, I think they do well with them, helps hold in moisture.
    yes its the moisture they hold in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭standardg60

yes its the moisture they hold in

They might do that to an extent but the two main reasons why pebble is used is to keep the leaves away from the damp of the soil and to reflect light and heat back onto the plant.
    It would be mainly advised for plants found growing naturally in scree and the like but works for any plant really.

Advertisement