Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on removal of Trees close to garden Walls

Options
  • 07-05-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently moved into a new house and am a little concerned about the trees and their proximity to the garden boundary walls.

In the back garden there are evergreen type trees planted close to a high back wall. They act as good cover for what is a very high wall. They have been kept trimmed to what looks approx 10 feet. As per pic. In the front also there are 2 yellow evergreen type trees that are also planted right next to a wall which drops about 20 feet on the other side to a road.
    I have attached photos of the back and front. Can provide other angles if it would help.

Question is: Should I get them removed immediately so as to avoid root damage to the walls ? Would consider getting rid of them but it would be a big job and I would be left with loads of tree stumps. I presume removing tree stumps at this point may cause damage as well ? So maybe best to leave them there ?

Would keeping them pruned below a certain height stop the damage and help stop the growth of the roots ?

If I removed them could I plant Himalayan birches in their place or simple bushes ? Or would they equally cause damage.

I've attached a few photos of the back and front trees. Also one at the side where a few of the trees were already cut down and the stumps left behind.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks a mill, Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Big walls have seriously big footings. Not going to be troubled by a hedge IMO, the roots will tend to grow in the other direction.

The tree forms might prove more problematic, but only because your pruning options are limited.

If you like them just keep an eye on the root growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Thanks Lumen. Appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd leave them but they need a good pruning.
    You have to keep on top of these (leylandii) as you can only cut them back as far as the new, green growth.

You often see where people have let them get overgrown and then cut them back into the brown. They will not recover or regrow and look hideous.
    however if you keep on top of them, cut them back tight every year you can get a lovely, uniform finish and they screen very well.

They do grow like a bugger though, so try to keep on top of the height frequently. They can throw up a runner that will be 1-2m tall in a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could probably consider other methods of covering the wall, which in the long term might mean less maintenance, or take up less space, than the leylandii will require. but it'd mean more work in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ok. The hedge in the back is NOT Leylandii, most likely Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'aurea', which is not an issue at all. The sprays are flat whereas Leylandii sprays are radial because it is a cross with Cupressus.
    The conifers in the front are most likely Thuja plicata of some form, again not an issue.

You have inherited a fabulous garden that someone has devoted great care and attention to, don't ruin it!

On a plus and indicative note the 80-100 ft never pruned Leylandii two doors away from me and planted close to the original boundary wall are gradually being removed..the wall hasn't moved an inch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Thanks all for the comments and especially standardg60. Much appreciated. I am delighted I don't need to go up rooting everything.
    Spend the whole day trimming so will be busy shaping them over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

You are more than welcome.
    I should also have added that the ones behind the shed are indeed Leylandii ( as were the stumps) and should be trimmed regularly.
    And also the elder at the side of the shed should be removed.
    Happy gardening, food for mental health!

Advertisement