Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power line adaptors

• 07-05-2020 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

So I already have a power line adaptor plugged in beside my router and connected to it with Ethernet, the other adaptor is in my sitting room,

Is it possible to buy one more and add to the “system”?

Or do you have to buy another pair and connect one of them to the router again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

You should be able to add another adapter without issue they don't need to be in pairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Yes and they don't even have to be the same make as they use the same AV standard although I assume they work at the speed of the slower adaptor if one is slower.

Out of couriosity, lets say I have two adaptors connected to each other and get around 100mb, would adding a 3rd slow the connection between the original 2? I addume it would whike in use but what about when it's mostly idle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Great thanks for the replys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think that powerlines will only work at the speed of your slowest adapter, if you have 2 1000mb and 1 100 all 3 will work at 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Can anyone recommend one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend one?

You'd probably be better off with 2 :D:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'm a fan of the TP-Link passthrough ones as you don't loose out on a socket by using them and you don't risk lowering the new speed by using a double adapter/extension lead.

These are the ones I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA8010PKIT-Gigabit-Passthrough-Powerline/dp/B00UTG32TQ out of stock on Amazon, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

TPlink are decent.

Depending on your usage if i was buying them new today, i would prob shell out the extra for the ones that utilise the MIMO tech. I would utilise the passthrough models rather than losing the plug socket .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Powerline adapters are half duplex, can either talk or listen. This means they can get really slow when you add more than two. Buy from somewhere that you can easily return

Advertisement