Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry carbon creaks

Options
  • 07-05-2020 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, after about a year of almost unbearable constant creaking and crackling out of my bike and investigating everything from pedals to saddles to bearings and even sending the bike back to the manufacturer I'd been upable to solve the problem. Its a press fit bb with the rear triangle inserted into the seat stay and bottom bracket... Decided this week I'd either solve it or reluctantly get a new frame... So last night on a whim I sprayed about a third of a can of T42 lubricant spray with teflon down the seat post and let it pour down into the bb area internally and left it overnight. Seems to be fine today no creaking etc so whatever iv done seems to have fixed it... However I'm wondering, I'm conscious of the fact that the carbon isn't coated internally, can this spray do the glues or resins any damage or would it just mostly evaporate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I had to bet I'd say Hambini would have a field day with your frame. Brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

It's a high end Time roadbike, which made the noise and customer support even more disspoointing tbh but seems OK today...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's a high end Time roadbike, which made the noise and customer support even more disspoointing tbh but seems OK today...

The WD40 won’t do any harm to the inside of the frame but once it dries out the creak may reappear.

Hambini has very high regard for Time framesets. He rates their engineering very highly.

To cure your problem if it reappears get a hambini bottom bracket. Email him with your make model and pictures of your BB and he’ll advise which one you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Yea was thinking it might dry up and be business as usual alright. Might try a quart of wet lube next haha... I'll look up hambini for sure. I'd have thought time was one of the best too, I'm not sure what they fixed when I sent it bsck, they said they fixed something. They didn't seem too happy to be dealing with it.

Yeah check out Hambini on youtube that'll pass an evening or two. He was dealing with a look frame and bb the other day on there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement