Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatch Contactless NFC

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Here, I'm not looking for a row. I have a watch running wear os 2.17 that works with Google pay. No hacking involved. I can only vouch for my watch not the other "99%". Anywho, good luck.

What type of watch do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I did and there are mixed results.

No I meant Google is responsible, not the banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Looks v nice.

Got a free Samsung galaxy watch with my note 9 a few years back, who knows when Google will allow it to work with contactless payments :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

adrian7444 wrote: »
    Which Garmin do you have if you dont mind me asking. Thank you.

Fenix 5 Plus. But anytime I use it to pay for something, people assume it's an Apple watch!

R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Looks v nice.

Got a free Samsung galaxy watch with my note 9 a few years back, who knows when Google will allow it to work with contactless payments :(

Ive only started using it again as I got the note 10 and dont want to bring it out running in case i break it.

The features on the Huawei for the price were great. GPS, Heart Rate, NFC etc. But I found it laggy and the bluetooth to the earphones was patchy at times so I put it away. Just started using it again now and with updates and disabling things like google pay, watch faces etc its running much better.

The garmins are lovely kit, tempting for when the next sale comes round. I should probably focus more on getting out for a jog though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

Tell the other 99% of people here that it doesn’t work for though.
    Several of us here have said we have NFC payments working on our Garmin watches. This is not the same thing, and is unrelated to this 99% estimate.

Garmin don't use Google Pay on the watch, so Google's restrictions do not apply.
    They use Garmin Pay and have their own set of restrictions based on bank participation.

I breifly had a Samsung watch before Christmas and I think it wanted to set up Samsung Pay. I then had a Ticwatch Pro with WearOS. I was unable to get NFC payments working on either of those, but I didn't try that hard as I just wanted rid of watches that needed to be charged every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

niallb wrote: »
    Several of us here have said we have NFC payments working on our Garmin watches. This is not the same thing, and is unrelated to this 99% estimate.

Garmin don't use Google Pay on the watch, so Google's restrictions do not apply.
    They use Garmin Pay and have their own set of restrictions based on bank participation.

When someone replies to a post on how its not supported on Wear OS and says they got it working it's going to cause confusion when they neglect to mention it was on a totally different OS :D

Stuck in the Ticwatch Pro boat myself, the watch has actually got better after a year of updates and improved apps, didn't like it initially. Very frustrating I can't use Google pay though. I occasionally give feedback through the Wear app that I'm going to move to Apple...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Google are terrible for this sort of stuff. They always seem to forget the world outside of the US/UK. While not perfect, Apple are much better in this regard IME.

Take my shiny new LG TV I got. It comes with Google Assistant, but it won't work because it keeps saying "it is not supported in this region".

This is despite me having half a dozen Google Home devices that work perfectly fine and are now sold and fully supported in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is that the bank not supporting or Samsumg (or someone else?)

for the life of me I can't understand Google on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bk wrote: »
    Google are terrible for this sort of stuff. They always seem to forget the world outside of the US/UK. While not perfect, Apple are much better in this regard IME.

Take my shiny new LG TV I got. It comes with Google Assistant, but it won't work because it keeps saying "it is not supported in this region".

This is despite me having half a dozen Google Home devices that work perfectly fine and are now sold and fully supported in Ireland :rolleyes:

But they have google pay on mobile devices.. what is the technical issue for them rolling out the same for Wear OS... seems ridiculous

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lawred2 wrote: »
    But they have google pay on mobile devices.. what is the technical issue for them rolling out the same for Wear OS

Just like they have Google Assistant on my phone, LG TV and Google Home Devices, yet they won't allow it to work together in Ireland. It is right there, I can use Google Assistant on the TV using the mic in the TV remote, but it just won't let me link it with my account and other devices!

Who knows why, it is crazy stuff.

EDIT: You can hear my frustration in this post :) Been trying to get it work for a few days now. I'm sure I'll get it working eventually.

EDIT: You can hear my frustration in this post :) Been trying to get it work for a few days now. I'm sure I'll get it working eventually.
    On the LG tv you can change the region to UK and it should work, you lose RTE Player and things then though :rolleyes: Very frustrating as there was a big Google Assistant sticker on the TV in Harvey Norman, didn't even think to check it out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

They are shocking, look at the new Pixel Buds 2, only available in the US with no date yet for anywhere else.

I'm big into the Google eco system but they are far from perfect. Not to mention the amount of things that are launched and then left to die, to be honest it wouldn't suprise me if Wear OS was, just seems very neglected compared to Apples watch.

TheChizler wrote: »
    On the LG tv you can change the region to UK and it should work, you lose RTE Player and things then though :rolleyes: Very frustrating as there was a big Google Assistant sticker on the TV in Harvey Norman, didn't even think to check it out first.

Yes, I've done that and you gain the ability to use Google Assistant directly on the TV then. But you still can't link it to your Google Home app, control it from other Google Home devices or use it as part of Google home routines.

I've also tried changing my Phones location to UK, all my Google Home devices to UK, my home Address to UK, but still no luck. I now get weather for London, but it still knows I'm in Ireland. Next I'm going to try a VPN.

BTW if you install RTE Player first and then change the region to UK, RTE Player continues to work.

Fantastic TV, just this is annoying.

BTW if you install RTE Player first and then change the region to UK, RTE Player continues to work.

Fantastic TV, just this is annoying.
    Tried that, it disappeared for me then reappeared when I changed the region back, I've a C9. Won't try again based on your experience!

Brilliant screen, big disapointment about the lack of Google Cast and Assistant here.

Google product managers seem to have a very small attention span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Going out on a limb here and I'd say because the whole Huawei thing with Google perhaps not all Google's controls around his are working..
    .they probably can't block it depending on what version of wear OS Huawei deployed . Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do the staff in Dublin in their thousands not get miffed off about limitations like this I wonder

Tried that, it disappeared for me then reappeared when I changed the region back, I've a C9. Won't try again based on your experience!

Brilliant screen, big disapointment about the lack of Google Cast and Assistant here.

Ah, I've a C9 too, just got it last week. :D

I've got my old Shield TV hooked up too it, so that takes care of the Google Cast very well.
    Google product managers seem to have a very small attention span.

Bingo.

listermint wrote: »
    Do the staff in Dublin in their thousands not get miffed off about limitations like this I wonder

Youd have to think so.

Still odd you can't buy a Nest hub or nest hub max in ireland unless you buy from Dixons Dublin airport or Littlewoods (UK). All while their invoices are from their registered office on Sir John Rogersons Quay lol.

Wish and Irish tech journalist who would have contacts within Google would ask the question.

The fact Ireland is forgotten is bizarre...

• Advertisement

One of the main reasons I’ve switched a good few devices to Apple in the last while. Sick of most features getting lost in the Atlantic.

Youd have to think so.

Still odd you can't buy a Nest hub or nest hub max in ireland unless you buy from Dixons Dublin airport or Littlewoods (UK). All while their invoices are from their registered office on Sir John Rogersons Quay lol.

Wish and Irish tech journalist who would have contacts within Google would ask the question.

The fact Ireland is forgotten is bizarre...

Their online hardware store for Ireland is terrible.

Advertisement