Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying a COAX cable that is ran around the house

• 07-05-2020 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

OK so during my house rewire my electrician put coax about the house but didn't label the cables. So what I have is 3 coax cables feed into one room 2 being for satellite and the third being for soarview the second room has 1 satellite and 1 for soarview. So I have 3 cables running outside to the dish and 2 fed into the attic connected to an antenna. So I thought the best way to do it was I will just try get a soarview signal if not try the next cable and repeat but none of them are giving a soarview signal the TV is programmed.

I know I can test the cables with a multimeter but I need both ends of the cables close together this is not possible if I am in the sitting room and the other end is in the attic for example. I am not lost as what to do :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

stevek93 wrote: »
    ... I know I can test the cables with a multimeter but I need both ends of the cables close together this is not possible if I am in the sitting room and the other end is in the attic for example.

Short circuit one end & test the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Short circuit one end & test the other.

This, test all your cables between the outer braid and Center core for continuity, if they are all open then at the far end short the braid to the Center core and again test for continuity. I’d start by stripping back the braid a bit at both ends to ensure you won’t get a closed circuit to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

stevek93 wrote: »
    I know I can test the cables with a multimeter but I need both ends of the cables close together this is not possible if I am in the sitting room and the other end is in the attic for example. I am not lost as what to do :confused:

You don't need to have both ends of the cable together, all you simply do is at one end of the cable join the centre core and outer copper braid together. At the other end of the cable check for continuity between the outer braid and centre core, continuity loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

Thanks all Ill try that so. :)

Advertisement