Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screening Top Soil

Options
  • 07-05-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I've just taken delivery of about 8 tons of top soil. On inspection quality doesn't look great, but it was free so I won't complain.
    Bit of daub in it but there's also a lot of grass running through it. Daub I'm not bothered about but the amount of scutch like grass concerns me.

Wondering what my options are to ensure this top soil, if added to my lawn doesn't result in scutch growth (it's a problem I'm currently combatting..other thread).
    Screening, chemical treatment of soil, cover it and let grass rot....?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you need to use it straight away? as in, is it blocking your driveway, or is it for a project you need to complete ASAP?
    if you have the luxury, i'd go for the last option you mention. throw a tarp over it and let the grass die off. chemically treating it is not an option until after you spread it out, i suspect. also depends on whether it's intended to be a top dressing or filler for a raised bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

do you need to use it straight away? as in, is it blocking your driveway, or is it for a project you need to complete ASAP?
    if you have the luxury, i'd go for the last option you mention. throw a tarp over it and let the grass die off. chemically treating it is not an option until after you spread it out, i suspect. also depends on whether it's intended to be a top dressing or filler for a raised bed.

I was planning on putting it all in 1 ton bags for ease of storage and transport.. I love a bit of shovelling!
    So I'll need to move it but I can leave it in the bags covered until next year if necessary.
    When I dig scutch out of my lawn I'd planned to replenish the soil with this soil but I'll prob buy a few bags of filtered soil for that because I'll need it more immediately.
    Will the grass dying off under cover also kill off the scutch rhizomes?

Advertisement