Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Frost.

Options
  • 07-05-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up. A few of the posters in the weather forum are talking about potential cold spell from sunday to Wednesday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Haven't got any horticultural fleece and won't have time to order any but i have got a roll of the breathable roofing fabric - so will be using that on the young planted greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have a lot of very frost tender stuff planted out already both outside and in the polytunnel including potatoes, french beans, peppers etc. I have fleece to cover stuff if needed but my garden is right on the coast so I'm thinking of chancing it. Would take a lot of time and material to cover everything as I have a big veg garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

met.ie is currently showing a predicted low of 4C on tuesday night, for dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Complete newbie to growing veg, I've a few containers of potatoes, carrots and pea seedlings as well as a pallet full of strawberries which are starting to grow fruit. There's lows of 2C forecast or my area. I'm assuming a frost will damage my strawberry crop? What about the rest?

The grass needs a cut this weekend, would it be worth trying to cover containers with cardboard and grass cuttings to keep them safe?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Complete newbie to growing veg, I've a few containers of potatoes, carrots and pea seedlings as well as a pallet full of strawberries which are starting to grow fruit. There's lows of 2C forecast or my area. I'm assuming a frost will damage my strawberry crop? What about the rest?

The grass needs a cut this weekend, would it be worth trying to cover containers with cardboard and grass cuttings to keep them safe?

I probably would, just to be safe. I would cover the potatoes too if they've broke the surface. You can always take them off in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

met.ie is currently showing a predicted low of 4C on tuesday night, for dublin.

Coastal parts of the Republic, especially near the east coast will have less cold temperatures by night due to onshore winds however places inland, across much of the country are likely to see air temperatures (not just ground temperatures) dip below 0c on Monday night, probably Tuesday night too. A ground frost is also likely in many parts on Sunday and Wednesday nights.

It's gonna be a shock for many unprotected plants, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Novice gardener here too - how low a temp would it need to be to damage potatoes? Living ~15km from the north mayo coast here so I wouldn't expect any frost tbh but if the alternative is damaged plants, I'll get plastic or something to cover them.

I presume planting out the broccoli plants this weekend would be better put off until it warms up a bit again?

MacDanger wrote: »
    Novice gardener here too - how low a temp would it need to be to damage potatoes? Living ~15km from the north mayo coast here so I wouldn't expect any frost tbh but if the alternative is damaged plants, I'll get plastic or something to cover them.

I presume planting out the broccoli plants this weekend would be better put off until it warms up a bit again?

You're probably safe enough. I've been keeping an eye on this for a few days and I think unless you are very inland you will escape any real frosts. I'm about 1k from the Irish sea and the offshore wind usually keeps us a few degrees above the midlands at night. I would wait until later next week for the broccoli plants though.

Good call on the frost,
    Fairly heavy in kildare.
    Glad I seen this and didnt plant out on Saturday as planned!

Good call on the frost,
    Fairly heavy in kildare.
    Glad I seen this and didnt plant out on Saturday as planned!

Indeed, I had a minimum air temperature of -1.6c in North Kildare last night so ground temperature was probably close to -5c. Rather low indeed, especially considering that I was sunbathing at lunchtime yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My minimum was 4.4. No frost here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I have potatoes which appear to be damaged by last night's frost, the leaves have dropped a bit and are a darker color, will they recover from this.

I have potatoes which appear to be damaged by last night's frost, the leaves have dropped a bit and are a darker color, will they recover from this.

Yeah, they should be OK. Is it all leaves or some?

My minimum was 4.4. No frost here.

Going by your username, I'm guessing you are in the south west? Are you near the coast?

I hope my outside grape will be ok ,
    It was only plated late last year and is looking very promising .

I hope my outside grape will be ok,
    It was only planted late last year and is looking very promising.

Where are you located? It's possible that it has suffered damage but hard to know if we don't know where your vine is.

Im in Kildare,frost was heavy .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

highdef wrote: »
    Yeah, they should be OK. Is it all leaves or some?

The top few leaves with the plants that were 6" high, and some that are just above ground all the leaves, I'm in south kildare.

Im in Kildare, frost was heavy.

Might be curtains so, I'm sad to say. Would the vine be in a position as to be exposed to the cold air or is it sheltered, say on a South facing wall? Any reason you didn't provide protection to the vine especially as you were forewarned about it?

The top few leaves with the plants that were 6" high, and some that are just above ground all the leaves, I'm in south kildare.

I'd say they'll recover. I've had similar in the past. Could be a frosty again tonight so perhaps some protection could be applied this evening. Same goes to the grapevine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Same here in S Tipp.I spent a while yesterday putting clay around them, they were only a few inches up but wished I put more as I didn't cover them fully.They weren't fully ready for earthing. I'm going to cover them more now as tonight looks similar.

Might be curtains so, I'm sad to say. Would the vine be in a position as to be exposed to the cold air or is it sheltered, say on a South facing wall? Any reason you didn't provide protection to the vine especially as you were forewarned about it?

I forgot it sadly,
    Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Potatoes and peas seem fine, some barely-through green beans look a bit disgruntled but not actually damaged. Oddly some new growth on an Elecampane (Inula Helenium) got quite badly nipped at the tops of the leaves, I don't think it will be a problem but they look a bit sad. (north Waterford, bit of altitude).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

northside of dublin here; spuds seems fine, as do the new leaves on the beech i planted last year (which i was more worried about)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Going by your username, I'm guessing you are in the south west? Are you near the coast?

Im on a mountain but I can see the sea from the sitting room:D

Just got home and thankfully the grape looks ok.
    Some damage but still healthy looking

weds night/thurs morning is forecast to be colder than last night was, in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Got badly hit in all areas by frost last night. The potatoes were badly blackened . They were just ready for soiling over. Have prune the black leaves back this evening and spike them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Two nights in a row with frost.
    Weather is mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

my spuds took an nawful bate'n. I covered them Sunday night and there was no frost. Forgot to cover them on Monday night and they got clobbered, covered them last night and there was no frost!

Just have to hope they recover....

Last May there was a lot of frost over a number of nights and they got a bit black and weak on the edges of some leaves but nothing like they got on monday night. I didn't think it was that cold , maybe there were just further long than last may,

I had a small tomato plant in the tunnel and that got dead monday night too. Thankfully I took advice from the good people on boards.ie and have been moving the others back into the garage at night!

Advertisement