Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Frost.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

Frogeye wrote: »
    my spuds took an nawful bate'n. I covered them Sunday night and there was no frost. Forgot to cover them on Monday night and they got clobbered, covered them last night and there was no frost!

There could be another fairly sharp frost again tonight where skies are clear and away from coastal areas with onshore breezes.

To put the level of frost on Monday night into context, it was the coldest May night on record at the Met Eireann site in Mullingar with a minimum air temperature of -3.2c. You could take another couple of degrees off that figure (at least) to get the minimum ground temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lowest temp was 4.3C. No frost

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

Heavy frost here on Monday night in Co. Offaly (grass was white in places yesterday morning) and last night was cold too. Not sure why some people here were waiting to earth up their potatoes when frost was forecast. You can earth them up a number of times you know, it doesn't just have to be done once! Most of mine were gone too big and I had earthed them up a few weeks ago and had earthed as much as I could on the majority of them. I had a few late drills which were just coming up so I earthed them up and they were protected from the frost. The other ones that were up by 10 inches or more were hammered but I had this last year too on the May weekend and they will come back in a couple of weeks although it would put you in bad humour looking at them. I had covered 4 drills this year as that's all fleece I had and the frost even damaged the tops of them through the fleece but they are still a lot better looking than the rest of my potato crop.

This morning in Kildare
    Lets hope thats the last one !

IMG-20200514-070745.jpg

IMG-20200514-070751.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

woke up at 5am and the met.ie app was saying air temp was -2 on the northside of dublin. no sign of frost though, spuds and other plants seem unaffected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

My portugese laurel hedging this years new growth is blackened from the frost. Should I prune off the black bits or let it? Planted less than 2 years ago. About 30" tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

woke up at 5am and the met.ie app was saying air temp was -2 on the northside of dublin. no sign of frost though, spuds and other plants seem unaffected.

That would've been the reported temperature at Dublin airport, your closest official station. That station is in a known frost hollow so often reports temperatures several degrees lower than many nearby surrounding areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting - i travel past the met station there quite often and wouldn't have thought it was in a hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

I went out at 6 am this morning (in East Clare) and there was a good think layer of frost of the windscreen of the jeep and the Temp gauge was reading 2.5 Degs

It was an stunningly beautiful morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will it kill outdoor strawberries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So much for fleece protecting plants. All of my potatoes that had fleece on them got quite badly hit but the uncovered ones were fine! Must be due to the moisture settling on the fleece and freezing while in contact with the leaves. Won't kill them but will set the back quite a bit. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

My spuds got an awful doing on Monday night. I didn't think it had been that cold and my lettuce and peas are grand so I thought it might have been the blight. I gave them a serious dose of spray just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

This happened overnight. Luckily this guy was a stray in another border from last year. I’ve covered my crop so please God they’ll be okay!

512981.jpeg

I dug it up this evening. I’m assuming it’s frost and not blight. I’ve only been growing spuds a few years so don’t know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This happened overnight. Luckily this guy was a stray in another border from last year. I’ve covered my crop so please God they’ll be okay!

512981.jpeg

I dug it up this evening. I’m assuming it’s frost and not blight. I’ve only been growing spuds a few years so don’t know!

Frost
    Blight only hits in late July into August with damp muggy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No bother on Costa Deise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Put no fleeces on and everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Used roofing felt with success on the spuds and lettuce, but wasn't good enough for the runner beans - wipeout!. Must get some proper fleece for next year.
    20200515_081539.jpg

Advertisement