Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

bluefinger wrote: »
    Can't see why a teacher would give a student they are teaching a poor mark when it reflects directly on their teaching ability.

If they dislike a student, you can be sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Look, it's not just about the exams themselves, it's about the fact that they aren't equatable to the exams done last year, given that they've missed a whole term at this point. Every opposition party is in favor of cancelling it, 79% of surveyed students are in favor of cancelling it, the teachers unions are in favor of cancelling it and every other country in Europe has cancelled it. The grades are going to be given by the bell curve anyway, in theory there shouldn't be much deviation from previous years. Consider for a moment that maybe random people complaining online do not know as much as all the stakeholders present. The students voted for this and will reap what they have sown.

Which students voted for this, none I know. They haven’t missed a term, those that chose to have worked their asses off. The hardest working are getting a slap in the face. Good life lesson, sit back and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can Tony Holohan be removed from so many decisions before this country is finished please. A bankrupting reopening timeline and now the future of our young students in doubt.
    The public health can't be the only consideration in this. Ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Amirani wrote: »
    They'll have to rank the class and use a bell curve. Will only be able to give a certain amount of each grade, so they will have to give some poor marks.

Yeah but i doubt grades are normally distributed across the school system though so not sure how that would work.

They'll have to rank the class and use a bell curve. Will only be able to give a certain amount of each grade, so they will have to give some poor marks.

Yeah but i doubt grades are normally distributed across the school system though so not sure how that would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

They won't -a class of 30 should not be using a bell curve let alone classes of 6-12 for a lot of subjects

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Look, it's not just about the exams themselves, it's about the fact that they aren't equatable to the exams done last year, given that they've missed a whole term at this point. Every opposition party is in favor of cancelling it, 79% of surveyed students are in favor of cancelling it, the teachers unions are in favor of cancelling it and every other country in Europe has cancelled it. The grades are going to be given by the bell curve anyway, in theory there shouldn't be much deviation from previous years. Consider for a moment that maybe random people complaining online do not know as much as all the stakeholders present. The students voted for this and will reap what they have sown.

Any teachers I know are going mental about the decision

Head over to the Teaching and Lecturing forum, most are against this. Not all stakeholders are in favour of this at all...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I dont see why it can't go ahead

Loads of factories are open and working fine with social distancing

Open all classrooms in a school. 5 students per room with 1 teacher. Staggered arrival and leaving times

Yes. Plenty of other large indoor places could be utilised too. Stadiums etc. Social distancing works.

What are other countries doing, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Benimar wrote: »
    If the roadmap for re-opening is in anyway achievable, there is no reason to cancel the exams.

This is a terrible decision, and I’m amazed teachers have gone for this. Grading your own students won’t end well. They will be accused of either doing someone down, or looking after their ‘pets’ and most likely both!

Teachers do not want this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This decision sums up the department of education and their performance this past decade under Fine Gael. Mchugh and the department backed themselves into a corner and made no real plans.

Its unfair on the students and on the mental health of teachers.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Can Tony Holohan be removed from so many decisions before this country is finished please. A bankrupting reopening timeline and now the future of our young students in doubt.

It wasn't the Chief Medical Officer who made this decision. You don't have a clue do you?

GazzaL wrote: »
    If they dislike a student, you can be sure of it.

Yes this will happen but I'd say those not liked will be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder what the majority of STUDENTS think of this, not their parents.

It’s a life lesson in the time of Corona.

They won't -a class of 30 should not be using a bell curve let alone classes of 6-12 for a lot of subjects

The bell curve will be across the whole Leaving Cert population. Individual schools and teacher be limited on the amount of each grade they can give to fit this. So not each class will be normally distributed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

This year's Leaving Cert students may as well leave their "results" off their CVs because they are absolutely meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Tony didn't make this decision. Joe McHugh and the DoE did. The blame lies squarely at their door

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Don’t think you can blame him for this one. It’s the politicians making this call.

Giving everyone full marks is a better idea than this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It wasn't the Chief Medical Officer who made this decision. You don't have a clue do you?

Indirectly he has. It's his "advice" over the last few months that have now directly resulted in policy decisions up to and including this one.

His ultra-conservative outlook coupled with a weak outgoing Government terrified of making a decision means that our response has been massively disproportionate as more about the actual impact of the virus has emerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

bluefinger wrote: »
    Can't see why a teacher would give a student they are teaching a poor mark when it reflects directly on their teaching ability.

Shows how little you know. All students are not capable of good grades in spite of their teachers (and sometimes because of them before someone says it). Students are ideally helped by teachers to meet their potential. Some students meet their potential at a H1 others meet theirs at an O6. Both students may have worked equally hard with a equally dedicated teacher.

On the other side you have students who don't reach their potential for lots of reasons, teacher/their own lack of work/disadvantage of some form/illness etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

What about the students who have no teacher for a particular subject?

I remember people in my school students doing subjects on their own. In the mid 90s. Repeat students would study and sit an exam called social and scientific on their own.

Does this happen nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

GazzaL wrote: »
    This year's Leaving Cert students may as well leave their "results" off their CVs because they are absolutely meaningless.

It’s mostly about degrees now. Far better system. LC means nothing in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The leaving cert isn't the be all and end all

Just do a PLC and get the course ya want then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It seems like insanity to cancel when surely spreading students around different rooms in their school to take the exam is feasible and observes social distance? Why would this be a problem in August when schools are schedule to re-open with far greater numbers just a month later?

The students voted for this and will reap what they have sown.

They've chosen to flip a coin on their future since it's easier than dealing with the stress and effort of an exam, we all know the whining from students and parents will be deafening from the quarters that see the coin landing on the wrong side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Multipass wrote: »
    Which students voted for this, none I know. They haven’t missed a term, those that chose to have worked their asses off. The hardest working are getting a slap in the face. Good life lesson, sit back and do nothing.
    That's interesting, because all the students I know did, bar about 4. 23,000 did the survey, which while not near the full figure, it does represent around 39% which is significant being that it comes solely from the students with no input from department or schools. Being a student myself, I can say with certainty that online work is not comparable in any way to regular work, with many "hard workers" simply giving up for whatever reason. I am not one of them, I have worked, and I have kept up to date with everything I've been issued. And these people who have done nothing will undoubtedly be penalized for not turning in their work. Nothing in this situation is ideal, but aside from angry boardsies who have finished their exams years ago, everyone involved is on the same page.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

We fought for free education.

People need to stand up and be heard.

This is not a solution. They outlined why predicted grades won't work. This is a complete and utter shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What about private schools and pressure on teachers? Parents have paid thousands per year for these exams, how will they react to 300-400 predicted points scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the students didn't vote on it. But which ones would prefer it? Those ones who probably weren't going to get the marks to get their preferred course/college. If there was a lottery, there is a chance they won't get in.

It’s completely unfair - some of my sons teachers will give accurate predictions, others absolutely won’t. Why doesn’t the government just do a f@#xing lottery for college places, hell they could even charge for the tickets.

No student who studied hard and had a decent chance of obtaining the points that they expect would get them their place in college would want a lottery.

Any teachers I know are going mental about the decision

Head over to the Teaching and Lecturing forum, most are against this. Not all stakeholders are in favour of this at all...

.....maybe a few of them had already counted, or even spent, those lovely extra overtime shekels above their wages that they were hoping their unions could get them (for actually doing what they are paid)

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Indirectly he has. It's his "advice" over the last few months that have now directly resulted in policy decisions up to and including this one.

His ultra-conservative outlook coupled with a weak outgoing Government terrified of making a decision means that our response has been massively disproportionate as more about the actual impact of the virus has emerged.

50,000 people dead in the UK (so far) is disproportionate.

Advertisement