Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Why exactly instead of one big room for the exams, could students not be accommodated in many other smaller rooms to social distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What about students who did poorly in the mocks and have since been in grinds to boost performance? And those doing extra subjects outside school.

This is going to cost the state millions in legal costs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rodin wrote: »
    Why exactly instead of one big room for the exams, could students not be accommodated in many other smaller rooms to social distance?

I reckon the difficulty is in getting invigilators.

If the unions came in and said "our members will support this for the students" it would be more likely to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. Everyone doesn't need to be in the one hall. Use classrooms, community halls, the RDS @ croke park in Dublin for example

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gael23 wrote: »
    What about students who did poorly in the mocks and have since been in grinds to boost performance? And those doing extra subjects outside school.

No doubt about it. If a student doesn't get their college place and has to appeal predictive grades they have to defer starting college for a year. It was said in the press conference there are legal issues with this approach.

Even myself with a basic understanding of the courts system and the legal system in general can see it's going to have high court cases. 1 ruling could declare the whole process null and void

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

jprender wrote: »
    There is no doubt whatsoever that on the whole, students will receive grades in excess of what they deserved.

College is going to be a bloodbath next year with students doing courses that they aren't able for.

When they have to drop out and start paying fees if they want to change course, watch the bitching and moaning notch up.
    Unfair, stress, anxiety, bollox, mental health, more bollox etc etc

High points courses don't necessarily mean the course is exceptionally difficult. Just in high demand. Radiography or Physio in UCD are massive points well over 500 points, but they wouldn't be any more difficult than a Science degree in UCG.
    I would imagine when pupils apply for CAO they have an expectation of likely LC and apply accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

If the unions came in and said "our members will support this for the students" it would be more likely to be done.

Teachers should all play a part and become invigilators

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Not like the unions to put a stop to people working.
    When so many other sectors have stepped up and got creative and just got on with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Just a thought but do ye think wee Donald above is wrong and ye can stop jumping on a bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There will be no international students next year so points under traditional system would have fallen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Can’t imagine how all this will work in a small town, where everybody knows everybody. Will anybody give poor grades to the kids of the local publican/ doctor/ pharmacist/ Superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

And students studying a subject on their own outside school. Who's going to work that grade out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

There was no appeal for additional invigilators this year. That suggest they didn't try to get enough to run the exams or they felt they had an adequate number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Leaving certs starting in Poland in 1 month time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Not like the unions to put a stop to people working.
    When so many other sectors have stepped up and got creative and just got on with it.....

What exactly did the unions do that contributed to any of this mess? An example please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

jprender wrote: »
    There is no doubt whatsoever that on the whole, students will receive grades in excess of what they deserved.

College is going to be a bloodbath next year with students doing courses that they aren't able for.

When they have to drop out and start paying fees if they want to change course, watch the bitching and moaning notch up.
    Unfair, stress, anxiety, bollox, mental health, more bollox etc etc

This happens anyway for a lot of low points / AQA courses, such as Engineering.

I think there was a 50% drop out in the first year back when I did it.

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Can’t imagine how all this will work in a small town, where everybody knows everybody. Will anybody give poor grades to the kids of the local publican/ doctor/ pharmacist/ Superintendent?

Such a stupid thing to say
    I couldnt give a damn what job a parent has, it has no bearing on the education of a child. It isnt the 50s anymore

Exams would suit certain students better, the type of student who would put in the work after Christmas, who mightn’t have been arsed in transition year/5th year. Not too many would work consistently hard for in house exams and projects.

khalessi wrote: »
    I couldnt give a damn what job a parent has, it has no bearing on the education of a child. It isnt the 50s anymore

It’s not stupid, people are still impressed by power/ money/status. Teachers would be aware of the families who have influence and money, like it or not.

It’s not stupid, people are still impressed by power/ money/status. Teachers would be aware of the families who have influence and money, like it or not.

I am a teacher and i dont care what job they have, it is actually rare that i know their job as I am more interested in educating the child.

• Advertisement

So you’d be just as impressed by a binman parent at a parent teacher meeting, as you would be by say a top ranking solicitor. Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

So you’d be just as impressed by a binman parent at a parent teacher meeting, as you would be by say a top ranking solicitor. Get real.

Projection of your own elitist world view.

Do you what impresses me, parents who are interested in their kids and their education. My dad was working class, left school at 9 and my mother left school at 15 and both got great jobs and put their kids through uni. I am impressed by people who try. I have met assholes in all walks of life, rich and poor so occupation does not impress me at all. oh by the way, the last solicitor i spoke to ended up in the Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't like it. It would only be fair if students were aware from day 1 that their final result would be a guesstimate based on daily performance.

It's a life line to those who haven't studied as much and they can sit a whole year later.

Projection of your own elitist world view.

It’s not really it’s more an observation of Irish culture. In ireland people with money are more looked up to and respected. I’m not in the “moneyed” class myself. But i can see how a doctor’s child would be more revered in a school than say a plumber’s child. Plenty of principal’s are impressed by status/ money and flash cars. Also wealthy parents are more likely to have the confidence to go on boards of management in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Thinking outside the box, could they let the 21% of students who want to sit their exams to do so with the benefit of a 5% bonus? And let the other 79% of students get predicted grades and have this noted on their results sheet?

It’s not really it’s more an observation of Irish culture. In ireland people with money are more looked up to and respected. I’m not in the “moneyed” class myself. But i can see how a doctor’s child would be more revered in a school than say a plumber’s child. Plenty of principal’s are impressed by status/ money and flash cars. Also wealthy parents are more likely to have the confidence to go on boards of management in schools.

You have not got a clue at all. Not an ounce of truth I am surprised you can walk with the chip on your shoulder. Really teacher couldnt give a damn what your job is, time to move into the 21st century

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

At least they won’t have to worry about those Leaving Cert dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

nails1 wrote: »
    At least they won’t have to worry about those Leaving Cert dreams
    Now it will be dreams where at the last minute they decide to hold the exams after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Do you what impresses me, parents who are interested in their kids and their education. My dad was working class, left school at 9 and my mother left school at 15 and both got great jobs and put their kids through uni. I am impressed by people who try. I have met assholes in all walks of life, rich and poor so occupation does not impress me at all. oh by the way, the last solicitor i spoke to ended up in the Joy

Absolutely, I'm a teacher as well and what I find impresses most teachers about pupils is hard work, good attitude, and good manners.
    Children of high powered parents can have those qualities, reverse snobbery to assume otherwise.
    But I can speak for myself and pretty sure most colleagues feel the same. A pompous arrogant parent regardless of background would get very little respect.

Advertisement