Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Leaving Cert 2020 - everyone is critical of the decision but provides no solution of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 conndeal

I dont have any children doing the leaving certificate this year but I always found the teachers were very good at predicting the grades my children would get in their Leaving Cert when I spoke to them at parent/teacher meetings. My brother has taught for over 30 years and he is very rarely surprised at the result of any of his leaving certs. They might get a grade higher or lower than he expected. I dont think the predictive grades will be that far from what students would have got in the exam probably teachers will err on the higher side.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Joke. Complete joke to be cancelled this far away from the time.

This country is gone to the dogs.

Total overreaction.Unbelievable how weak we’ve become as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Leaving Cert 2020 - everyone is critical of the decision but provides no solution of their own.

Lots of solutions have been provided e.g. run the LC but use more rooms and supervisors for better social distancing in the exam centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

I feel sorry for students who were studying mad during lockdown, conned into thinking they had exams to sit. Surely the department if education had exam cancellations in mind, back when they cancelled orals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1258769547596890112

How did this plan ever get the green light? It's complete ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Unfair for so many.
    Any one with a clue knows that teachers have favourites and also have students they dislike for one reason or another.
    I personally do not believe that they are capable of giving a fair, just and correct result to some students regardless of the student's academic ability.

The LC could have been run with a bit of thought, effort and basic cop on put in place.

But that's asking too much of our government and public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's more the solution people are questioning, not the decision to cancel. It has more holes in it than a leaky mask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Downlinz wrote: »

What an absolute joke for all the students studying subjects on their own.

Like how long did they spend coming up with this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Madness. Someone who's depending on Applied Maths to make up for a weakness in Irish to get into their STEM course may not not have enough points to do so. Their life is put on hold for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Agree, I’m ashamed that the adults in this country couldn’t do better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Here is a solution.

The is plan B. Stay on track for plan A until you can’t. Let everyone know what plan B is but don’t pull the trigger yet.

Wait until one or 2 weeks before the exams to decide exactly what’s happening.
    Let the students continue preparing for the next 4 weeks for the exams and reassess the medical situation weekly or daily up until a week or two before.

How foolish will the government look if we haven’t had a newly diagnosed case for two weeks before the exams were due to start????

This new plan is flawed in many many ways, but the exams are not next week so there was no need to cancel them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Best solution would have been exams in August

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

Best solution would have been exams in August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Unfair for so many.
    Any one with a clue knows that teachers have favourites and also have students they dislike for one reason or another.
    I personally do not believe that they are capable of giving a fair, just and correct result to some students regardless of the student's academic ability.

The LC could have been run with a bit of thought, effort and basic cop on put in place.

But that's asking too much of our government and public servants.

Teachers (the ones I've spoken to anyway,) wanted the exams to run. We didn't complain about being available toexam students in June. We agreed to go to school for two weeks in July to allow face to face contact and many contacted the SEC to apply for invigilator positions anticipating the increased need.

The SEC never appealed for extra invigilators to accomodate the need for social distancing. Why?

The Dept never gave teachers a voice/guidance/support onhiw best to proceed so we took it on ourselves to do what we could.

Teachers are so disappointed it has come to this after all the hardwork and advocating for our students we are now meant to judge them. This is not ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think its a ludacris decision.

however, once that has been decided they have to use the models. Now, if this model immediately reduces all grades in these schools to a level such that no one in that school can get 600 points, then that is more stupidity.

you can apply the model across all scholls based upon historic performance, but they will have built in a mechanism to allow for this you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Here is a solution.

The is plan B. Stay on track for plan A until you can’t. Let everyone know what plan B is but don’t pull the trigger yet.

Wait until one or 2 weeks before the exams to decide exactly what’s happening.
    Let the students continue preparing for the next 5/6 weeks for the exams and reassess the medical situation weekly or daily up until a week or two before.

How foolish will the government look if we haven’t had a newly diagnosed case for two weeks before the exams were due to start????

This new plan is flawed in many many ways, but the exams are not next week so there was no need to cancel them yet.

I suggested the same as this also. Why jump the gun this early and rush to cancellation?

The solution is obvious and it was in their previous plan, hold the exam in early August with social distanced spacing. The logistics of hiring more supervisors to spread students out further isn't that difficult.

But if we're really at a point where 8 students spread out in a classroom with a supervisor is considered unsafe then schools and colleges won't be sitting any time this year anyway with a full deferral then the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

GazzaL wrote: »
    Madness. Someone who's depending on Applied Maths to make up for a weakness in Irish to get into their STEM course may not not have enough points to do so. Their life is put on hold for a year.

That’s my son’s career lost to him then. Ireland just lost a wonderful future citizen. He’ll go abroad and do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

You won’t be able to inflate marks as SEC will compare your schools subject results and points to their averages over the last 3-4 years. If your schools physics results average around 65points per student over the last 4 years your results this year will have to have the same ballpark average somewhere just above or below this. That’s the national standardisation part. If your schools 2020 physics average points comes in at 80 they’ll look for reductions.

• Advertisement

BillyBiggs wrote: »
    Thank you. Finally somebody who agrees with me, that certain people in society have/demand influence within schools. (I’ve been told here that i am elitist and have a chip on my shoulder, for making the same point).

i thought the bias/pressure in this situation goes without saying.

the more i read in this thread, the more crazy the decision seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If this thread is anything to go by, with all the accusations of vindictiveness and favouritism levelled at teachers, they might be well advised to have nothing to do with this process.

The vast majority of teachers will hate this process and far from downgrading pupils, will probably end up inflating grades in order to give pupils the benefit of the doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Agreed the posts are total trash here today ,thinking anyone will be awarded 600 points and nothing to back it up .
    First off they won’t make it to Xmas in college.
    cutting teachers up about giving grades no teacher will gamble there job over any student. They might get away with a grade higher or not failing but that will be it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

These threads are magnets for a lot of "I did nothing at school, failed all my mocks and the teachers had it in for me but then I got 600 points and now I'm chief brain surgeon at the Mayo Clinic and at weekends I'm head of rocketry at NASA" yarns.

Alternatively they'll claim they actually got a poor LC, but that only proves the worthlessness of the LC because they went on to become chief brain surgeon...

You’d think people would grow out of “Yeah, I did nothing and got a millionty points”. Everyone knows it’s BS. Either that forum member didn’t get 600 points or they worked very, very hard and did. There is no lucking into 600 points, no matter how smart you are.

And yeah, those who denigrate academic high achievers are ever present too. It just ends up looking snide. Yes, yes, your genius went undiscovered in the school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Greensoup wrote: »
    You won’t be able to inflate marks as SEC will compare your schools subject results and points to their averages over the last 3-4 years. If your schools physics results average around 65points per student over the last 4 years your results this year will have to have the same ballpark average somewhere just above or below this. That’s the national standardisation part. If your schools 2020 physics average points comes in at 80 they’ll look for reductions.
    Here we go ..

Never mind if your school doesn't achieve that highly in Physics say, but has a bright kid this this year. Too bad, the school will drag them down. Or if the school normally does well, but this year's crop are below average. Never mind we'll lift their marks up to match the last few years.

How can anyone say that is fair? Is it even legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What an absolute clusterfuck. It’s embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I was useless in school with little interest. Spent a good bit of time on report. Only came good in the last few weeks and done well enough.

Thinking if that was me today, I would be screwed.

plodder wrote: »
    Here we go ..

Never mind if your school doesn't achieve that highly in Physics say, but has a bright kid this this year. Too bad, the school will drag them down. Or if the school normally does well, but this year's crop are below average. Never mind we'll lift their marks up to match the last few years.

Yep, never has a school's reputation counted for so much. It's a loaded system now that will punish gifted students in public schools.

We don't even have to guess at this, we know the flaws of this system from other countries: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/predicted-grades-lottery-work-against-poorest-students-get-rid-of-them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

plodder wrote: »
    Here we go ..

The legal end of it is being covered by offering u the predicted marks and a chance to appeal if your not happy .
    If your still not happy, there allowing u to sit the exam when it is safe .
    Case closed

Advertisement