Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I can see this being a disaster like when they brought susi in for the first time. I started college in September and didn’t get the grant until the following February. But what do you do? It was always going to go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

As a student, I was relieved last night that a decision was on the horizon, but after reading the ins and outs of this plan, I am deeply worried. I feel like this was very rushed.. and coupled with the "legal vulnerabilities", it is doomed for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No it's not, it's very much case open. They've even said it's open to legal situations. If someone misses out on a college course through predictive marking and has to wait to sit an exam and therefore essentially get held back a year starting college you can be sure there's going to be a high court case, theres also precedent a few years ago and she won

Taking an exam down the road is pointless, because your not comparing your results to the other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Shn99 wrote: »
    As a student, I was relieved last night that a decision was on the horizon, but after reading the ins and outs of this plan, I am deeply worried. I feel like this was very rushed.. and coupled with the "legal vulnerabilities", it is doomed for disaster.

Genuine question: do you have a teacher who doesn’t like you? Also are their teachers in your school who have their pets? Are their teachers in your school who think more highly of students who play a particular sport on the school team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Jesus Billy, give it a rest. It's really not good to hold a vendetta and a chip for this long. Bit of arrested development methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Rodin wrote: »
    But then the teachers wouldn't get the summer off.

Teachers must be ecstatic. They now are in the firing line to students and parents when little johnny or Mary do not get there course. Must be so happy :P

No it's not, it's very much case open. They've even said it's open to legal situations. If someone misses out on a college course through predictive marking and has to wait to sit an exam and therefore essentially get held back a year starting college you can be sure there's going to be a high court case, theres also precedent a few years ago and she won

That case was on reviewing her papers not having to sit the exam. If they wanted that the results would need to be out in 2 weeks

The other aspect that students are missing out on is the actually stress of the exams. People need to be put under certain levels of pressure to see how they perform.

Stress isn’t a bad thing always. Life isn’t a cup of tea. Preparing for something, putting in the work for a concrete end goal is an essential Lesson. The points you get in your LC are pretty damm close to what you deserve for the effort and ability that you bring to it.

Look it think a lot of secondary school is completely pointless, I didnt excel
    In that setting, others did and others failed miserably, without a doubt I underachieved but I was always fine with that, my achievements were always outside of formal education at that age and continue to be unrelated to formal education.

The actual motions of preparation, targeting a goal and getting a result that is final and impartial is an important lesson that people need to learn. Yes colleges may eventually give that experience to students, but this delays it.

Shn99 wrote: »

What did you think predictive results would mean. The ranking needs clarification but how else were they going to do it. You can sit the leaving cert if you want anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That case was on reviewing her papers not having to sit the exam. If they wanted that the results would need to be out in 2 weeks

The base of the case still stands. Due to the review she couldn't get into college for that semester, likewise if student requests a review of their predictive grade they also wont get into college for this semester. Read the articles online its absolutely wide open to legal challenge and that's been as much as admitted by the minister today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Not necessarily , they’ll have to wait do the exam beat the predicted result and get the course they missed out on before they have a case . And can still be argued they had extra time to learn .
    My god I should have been a lawyer!

plodder wrote: »

That court case is an entirely different matter over the adding up of points .
    Until u have your leaving cert fees are paid does a contract exist to supply you with an exam .

ebbsy wrote: »
    The solicitors will be raking it in when the grades come out.....

Why would they the teachers have in house results or at least they should have. Make them pay up 100k for high court will soften there cough .

plodder wrote: »
    Not so fast. The appeal isn't going to overturn a structural inequality. Sitting the exam means missing out this year's college intake and there was a case a couple of years ago where the SEC tried to fob someone off in that way, which they lost.

They shouldn’t lose now as it can be held until it’s safe to have an exam as joe McHugh said today.

The base of the case still stands. Due to the review she couldn't get into college for that semester, likewise if student requests a review of their predictive grade they also wont get into college for this semester. Read the articles online its absolutely wide open to legal challenge and that's been as much as admitted by the minister today.

I am not saying it is not open to legal challenges of course it will. I was pointing that in her case they were reviewing her papers for someone who is not happy with the predictive mark the only review for now is to sit the exam

Why would they the teachers have in house results or at least they should have. Make them pay up 100k for high court will soften there cough .

If the teacher can show why the result was given with previous exams then they should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

The one good thing about the LC was it was brutally fair ....in that the person who corrected it never knew who u were.. Yes it has many faults but it was fair

Maybe we should apply the same rationale to the Hurling and Football championship, the managers decide where the team finishes the championship, and then GAA HQ look over previous results and ‘ standardise’ The results.

Anyone see any issue with this?

**** it. So Mayo lose in the final again??????

I expect the medicine will be sweetened by giving everyone a slightly exaggerated grade.
    The bitter aftertaste being the fact it actually doesn't matter because the college points system is based purely on supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Predictive marking is just about the dumbest idea I've heard yet. No surprise then that Varadkar was thinking about signing off on it.

Get the leaving cert done. They even have time to do it in the traditional time slots.

Time for the government to grow a spine.

• Advertisement

**** it. So Mayo lose in the final again??????

But it saves money and actual heartbreak. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

With the leaving cert cancelled are we due a refund on the fees?

alta stare wrote: »
    With the leaving cert cancelled are we due a refund on the fees?

And the thousands of euro wasted on grinds?

And the thousands of euro wasted on grinds?

Interesting thought actually. I guess they can argue grinds are optional whereas the fees arent.

But it saves money and actual heartbreak. Win win

Win, win, LOSE. Like every other year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

I know this is for the leaving cert this year but I am very worried about next year as my son will be doing the LC next year.
    He was already struggling with maths and his teacher has done practically nothing with the class (has not even marked his work thats been assigned)
    Other teachers are a million times better with their effort etc (I am not here to bash teachers btw).
    His DCG teacher basically said that as they have lost 3 months of teaching there will need to be leeway given next year but nobody has any clue of what does actually mean? I am considering seeing if my son can repeat 5th year effectively starting from scratch.

Tippex wrote: »
    I know this is for the leaving cert this year but I am very worried about next year as my son will be doing the LC next year.
    He was already struggling with maths and his teacher has done practically nothing with the class (has not even marked his work thats been assigned)
    Other teachers are a million times better with their effort etc (I am not here to bash teachers btw).
    His DCG teacher basically said that as they have lost 3 months of teaching there will need to be leeway given next year but nobody has any clue of what does actually mean? I am considering seeing if my son can repeat 5th year effectively starting from scratch.

So are you going to force your son to repeat? Why cant you get him grinds in his weaker subjects? The LC next year is a good bit away and you are already panicking about. Sorry but that is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

alta stare wrote: »
    So are you going to force your son to repeat? Why cant you get him grinds in his weaker subjects? The LC next year is a good bit away and you are already panicking about. Sorry but that is mad.

Wow that is some massive leap you have got from where I said that “I am considering seeing if he can repeat 5th year” to forcing my son to repeat. While I can afford to get him grinds that is not a solution for every family.
    Also no where did I say I was panicking I mearly want the best opportunities for my son.
    So I would suggest that you wind your neck in and read posts properly.

Tippex wrote: »
    Wow that is some massive leap you have got from where I said that “I am considering seeing if he can repeat 5th year” to forcing my son to repeat. While I can afford to get him grinds that is not a solution for every family.
    Also no where did I say I was panicking I mearly want the best opportunities for my son.
    So I would suggest that you wind your neck in and read posts properly.

I asked as im sure your son would rather not repeat which means perhaps you would consider forcing him to. I wasnt out to offend you and if i did i apologise.

As i said the LC 2021 is a while away yet i am not so sure why you would even think about such a scenario even happening. We all want the best for our kids. Mine like many others has just had his LC cancelled. It's these kids and parents who will have to find solutions and do so in such a short period of time. You and your son have plenty and im sure he will do just fine as things will be back to normal even though the scaremongers will have you believe differently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think it's very unfair the exams have been cancelled and being given predicted grades What if there's a teacher's child who absolutely sh!t but then because they're a teacher's kid, they have to be given good marks.

There's colleges having online exams. With my course, I get password protected pdf that I download at a certain time. And these online exams are quite tough. You do have to know your stuff, there's not much time to be looking up every answer.

There isn't a hope schools will be open in September either.

Advertisement