Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Is that right? Sure why then were you posting about the Unions making an uproar if ye were called into a meeting before the actual school year in August? Are you trying to tell us that the group(s) that would cause uproar over people being called to a meeting during their "holidays" were going to be fine if they were sent into schools to help with exam logistics during a lockdown? Things were grand here in August. When they had the green list we were under a 14-rolling total of less than 5 per 100,000. In June/July we were much higher

You know it the same as everyone else. Any attempt to physically have exams in June would have met huge resistance by the Unions and teachers themselves unless huge additional money was on the table.

The quote you cite was about meetings on a school level. This is the domain of the ncca, which uses schools for state exams out of convenience. Individual schools have no power in ncca decision making. You have precisely zero clue what you're talking about here

DES made a dogs dinner of it despite persistent warnings from teachers, including teachers unions. Give it a frickin rest. Joe mchugh, ciara Kelly, the students Union which has gone VERY quiet since, they're the ones you can have a look at.

And huge additional money was actually taken off the table! The DES saved themselves a fortune by not employing supervisors, correctors, hiring out larger venues etc. Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Smacruairi wrote: »
    The quote you cite was about meetings on a school level. This is the domain of the ncca, which uses schools for state exams out of convenience. Individual schools have no power in ncca decision making. You have precisely zero clue what you're talking about here

DES made a dogs dinner of it despite persistent warnings from teachers, including teachers unions. Give it a frickin rest. Joe mchugh, ciara Kelly, the students Union which has gone VERY quiet since, they're the ones you can have a look at.

And huge additional money was actually taken off the table! The DES saved themselves a fortune by not employing supervisors, correctors, hiring out larger venues etc. Give it a rest.

Yet back in March you were in favour of cancelling the oral exams

Agree that it was the only option left.

Not the answer you wanted OP but honestly the several days you've spent posting about it would be better spent going through official channels if you're that unhappy. That is if you are actually a student.

So what is this student's union you wish us to blame? A few 16 or 17 year olds who got elected for a few months to a body?

Some teachers are just bitter that their bluff was called and they didn't get their annual double-dip for exam duties! You can look at the teachers forum to find examples of people ranting about conditions and safety up until the things were cancelled and then once it was cancelled, the same people switched to "but but... I was going to invigilate - I should still get paid for it"

Yet back in March you were in favour of cancelling the oral exams

So what is this student's union you wish us to blame? A few 16 or 17 year olds who got elected for a few months to a body?

Some teachers are just bitter that their bluff was called and they didn't get their annual double-dip for exam duties! You can look at the teachers forum to find examples of people ranting about conditions and safety up until the things were cancelled and then once it was cancelled, the same people switched to "but but... I was going to invigilate - I should still get paid for it"

That's actually sad that you're trawling through months of posts just to try to deflect for the DES.

Fact - ncca control exams. Fact DES make the big decisions. Fact, they ignored teacher advice. Fact, teachers unions have no ability to influence the holding of exams. Fact, more than teachers can apply to the ncca to invigilate and correct exams.

Your opinion, teachers are lazy, didn't want to work and all the other bluffs you have. Your opinion, and very uninformed.

When you start understanding facts I'll debate with you, until then, I won't engage with your ignorant conjecture.

That's actually sad that you're trawling through months of posts just to try to deflect for the DES.

Fact - ncca control exams. Fact DES make the big decisions. Fact, they ignored teacher advice. Fact, teachers unions have no ability to influence the holding of exams. Fact, more than teachers can apply to the ncca to invigilate and correct exams.

Your opinion, teachers are lazy, didn't want to work and all the other bluffs you have. Your opinion, and very uninformed.

When you start understanding facts I'll debate with you, until then, I won't engage with your ignorant conjecture.

Sickened you were caught out maybe?

Look I don't care what teachers do. A lot of them seem to act like the children they are supposed to teach - they don't realise that their decisions have consequences and that people remember what they said the previous day.

Just be honest.

Look I don't care what teachers do. A lot of them seem to act like the children they are supposed to teach - they don't realise that their decisions have consequences and that people remember what they said the previous day.

Just be honest.

So not interacting with the facts, just an attempt to illicit a rise with your "childish" comment. Grand. Enjoy your WUM,be honest.

• Advertisement

So not interacting with the facts, just an attempt to illicit a rise with your "childish" comment. Grand. Enjoy your WUM,be honest.

I could also link to your post calling for one big strike if you want? We are in October 2020 when we have a bit of an idea how to manage and control the virus. You are calling for a "big blowout" strike now. But you'd somehow have been in favour of things proceeding as normal back in May/June. (We have already established that you were in favour of cancelling orals in March ... although you may have forgotten that)

And at the same time you are having us believe that you would have gladly facilitated the physical exams taking place in June - back when much less was known about the virus and people hadn't really become accustomed to the precautions the way they are now.

I think it's just dishonest to come on here with your rose tinted hindsight and try to say that the department could have proceeded if they wanted to and it was all their fault. Well them and this student union.
    We all know that physical exams would never have happened because of the teachers and the unions. Whether they'd have been right to do so is a different matter that I am not commenting on

I could also link to your post calling for one big strike if you want? We are in October 2020 when we have a bit of an idea how to manage and control the virus. You are calling for a "big blowout" strike now. But you'd somehow have been in favour of things proceeding as normal back in May/June. (We have already established that you were in favour of cancelling orals in March ... although you may have forgotten that)

And at the same time you are having us believe that you would have gladly facilitated the physical exams taking place in June - back when much less was known about the virus and people hadn't really become accustomed to the precautions the way they are now.

I think it's just dishonest to come on here with your rose tinted hindsight and try to say that the department could have proceeded if they wanted to and it was all their fault. Well them and this student union.
    We all know that physical exams would never have happened because of the teachers and the unions. Whether they'd have been right to do so is a different matter that I am not commenting on

Nothing of substance yet again. Just conjecture and rhetoric. Your original supposition was that teacher unions denied the taking place of the leaving cert. You've made a lot of noise but precisely zero evidence or facts,just "woulds" and "imagines". You thought teachers set up for exams.. That said it all. You don't have a clue about the exam process. Thanks for playing WUM.

Nothing of substance yet again. Just conjecture and rhetoric. Your original supposition was that teacher unions denied the taking place of the leaving cert. You've made a lot of noise but precisely zero evidence or facts,just "woulds" and "imagines". You thought teachers set up for exams.. That said it all. You don't have a clue about the exam process. Thanks for playing WUM.

I think you must have not been in school yourself on the days that reading comprehension was taught.

Perhaps time to head back to the safe space that is the teaching forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

There's a good article in the Sunday Business Post by Michael Brennan about it. He says the reason the LC was cancelled was that NPHET didn't want it to go ahead, which (whatever the actual underlying reasons) suggests it wasn't really under the control of the DES. It sounds from the article that they tried pretty hard to do it right, but maybe there were too many different organisations involved (nine) and nobody really standing back and looking at the big picture; or maybe the focus on statistical normalisation, strangely pushed the attention away from guaranteeing an accurate result at an individual level.

Though it's not hard to understand the focus on normalisation because it appears that teachers (as one would expected) were biased in favour of their students and there was significant grade inflation resulting from that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just be honest.
    I think you must have not been in school yourself on the days that reading comprehension was taught.

Perhaps time to head back to the safe space that is the teaching forum?
    Threadbanned

• Advertisement
Advertisement