Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

I can see Marjorie turning up to her class in a new Porsche while Ruperecht surprises everyone by getting into Trinity Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

touts wrote: »
    This idea of. Oh I'm disadvantaged because I missed a few weeks at the end is utter rubbish. By March before the exam the whole course would be covered and they would be just revising. If they were still doing new stuff they we're screwed anyway.

And the absolute rubbish of "I m so stressed and worried about Covid I cant concentrate" is pure snowflake millennial pandering. Get over yourselfes. If you think you're too stressed now you'll be eaten alive in the working environment.

You can be sure it'll be something employers will ask the Class of 2020 about in interviews. Their answers will be revealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Another glaring example of this government failing to manage. Full lockdown, full cancellation of exams. It's almost as if they haven't an ounce of creative thinking in government.

An absolute disgrace.

SF,FF,Lab,PBP etc all for cancellation.

The block who are calling for the cancellation do have 80+ seats and are the majority.

This is only a caretaker government. I blame all the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ball In Towards

Have generally been supportive of the government over this cos of how unknown the virus is and their actions have generally been good imo- nursing homes aside it seems!

But I think the handling of the LC has been very poor. The LC is bloody horrible at the best of times for students. The last thing they need is this confusion over it- will it happen or wont it. Just make a decision either way- it's defo happening or not. I know it's difficult cos of the issues with social distancing. But still think it's poor form dragging iyt on

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

Unfortunately they eased the lockdown in Spain and the numbers seem to be rising again. You cannot stop young people from meeting up after an examination either. Curiosity will draw them to each other to see how they did in the exam.

Numbers rising after lockdowns are absolutely inevitable, they're not intended to get rid of the thing, but get greater control over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It won't be "teacher chooses the grade" IMO

It will be the kids 5th year xmas result. Summer result. 6th year midterm. Mock result. AND teachers predicted grade.

Put into some kind of algorithm (pribabaly by the athena company) and a predicted grade established

• Registered Users Posts: 51,815 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Why are college exams able to be conducted online during this crisis but the leaving cert can't?

Not all LC students have computers or broadband as I found out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Amirani wrote: »
    They'll have to rank the class and use a bell curve. Will only be able to give a certain amount of each grade, so they will have to give some poor marks.

That doesn't make sense. What if you have a particularly talented class full of A students. You have to fail some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Neither do college students. UCC are offering free deferrals with no penalty for those who don't want to participate. Either do it now or do the repeats later. The same principal should be applied to the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    No decision has been made though?
    Just usual news outlets
    Where’s the confirmation

was breaking news on RTE about half 9, it'll be recommended and agreed to tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Funnily enough, either did all my 3rd level students when I was doing online lectures.

Imagine my surprise this morning when attendance for the online exam was 100% and no Wi-Fi issues :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It will be the kids 5th year xmas result. Summer result. 6th year midterm. Mock result. AND teachers predicted grade.

Put into some kind of algorithm (pribabaly by the athena company) and a predicted grade established

The mocks shouldn't be included. When I did the leaving 8 years ago nearly all of us failed at least 2 of them, even the smartest lads in the class, was absolutely nothing like the real exam. The mocks are only there to show you where your falling down and give you a kick up the arse.

Predictive grades wont be welcomed if a student doesn't get a college place that they would have been confident of getting the points for in the normal exam situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Could it be that the Government are thinking that they could make all kind of plans for sitting the normal LC and then find there is no way it is safe enough to run it at the eleventh hour and then have to do predictive grades anyway in a mad rush kind of way with the same uproar from students, parents and teachers. That being a possibility, that they think let's get on with doing the predictive grades now with the whole summer between now and college, time enough to iron it out as best as possible ??

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Why are you all complaining?
    79% of 24,000 Leaving Cert students didn't want the exam to go ahead.

The funny thing is the CAO points system doesn't reflect the job opportunities and salary available.

Take construction/built environment for example , there was a 4% drop in demand for the courses in 2017/2018, despite there being a shortage of skills. Starting salaries are far above most 500+ points courses.

Neither do college students. UCC are offering free deferrals with no penalty for those who don't want to participate. Either do it now or do the repeats later. The same principal should be applied to the LC.

Then you have two different types of LC in the same year.
    Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

fits wrote: »
    And who do you think will have the supportive parents, the good study space, the Wifi etc. Some students have had no access to any instruction or support since the beginning of March. They had no real choice.

same as the leaving cert in any year, really. should have gone ahead, especially when they had given a delayed date for it to start on 29th July

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I really feel for the students leaving cert extremely uncertain pushed back then cancelled.
    Why they didn't cancel the leaving cert to begin with hold it next year some courses won't have been finished . Many students might hate to repeat the year seems unfair to have this amount stress studying for the LC in the middle of the pandemic not knowing whats happening . Predicted grades could favour certain students and the mocks isn't a good indicator if they use that towards getting the predicted grade . Government could've been focusing on pandemic and getting ppe etc left the leaving cert until next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s personal bias though.

The leaving cert is not ideal in any way but it is a level playing field.

Instead of you deciding your future someone else is going to do that.

Imagine in the case of English, a teacher may prefer a certain students writing style and already be biased anytime they corrected their work, it’s human nature. A teacher may not like a student and go into correcting their work with a negative bias. This is now the work that will be used to decide the leaving cert.

From a purely analytical perspective it’s a flawed.

Sounds familiar. I attended a certain school (on the Longmile Rd.) in the late 90s, and the HL English teacher (who was also the vice principal) gave very very low marks to nearly everyone in the class for all of 5th and 6th year.

Getting a decent mark was like getting blood out of a stone and the highest anyone would ever manage would be in the low 50s.

There was a real big contrast with the other HL English class in the same year where the class average mark was far closer to reality.

Come the leaving cert I achieved an A2 in the exam.

Then you have two different types of LC in the same year.
    Not going to happen.
    I know 0 people who availed of the deferral option. If LC students were offered the chance to do it online in July or do it in 4/5 months, I guarantee they'd do it in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

khalessi wrote: »
    Teachers are being left open to abuse, they had nothing to do with this decision. hung out to dry by government

You have to be joking. Wasn't it said that students would have two weeks of classes before the exams in August. If anyone thought the teachers were going to interrupt their Summer holidays, they are totally deluded.

Of course they couldn't come out against it publicly given the climate and "we're all in this together", sickest joke of the century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The funny thing is the CAO points system doesn't reflect the job opportunities and salary available.

Take construction/built environment for example , there was a 4% drop in demand for the courses in 2017/2018, despite there being a shortage of skills. Starting salaries are far above most 500+ points courses.

Of course they didn't want it to go ahead. Ask any student if they'd rather do the exam that's built up as the biggest exam of their life they'll say no, the nerves before it, the horror stories. Hell I wouldn't want want to do it again.

But when they don't get the college course they want because of predictive grades what happens then ??

I know 0 people who availed of the deferral option. If LC students were offered the chance to do it online in July or do it in 4/5 months, I guarantee they'd do it in July.

Not without a computer.

Not without a computer.
    Yet college students without a computer or access to internet can do their exams with no issue? What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah so teachers pick the grade is what your saying?

Who corrected all of those aforementioned exams? Maybe a private company in the case of some mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

For university admissions, they should do an SAT type exam for all students (either online or at testing centres). Takes around 3 hrs. The US, which has the most respected universities in the world uses this for admissions, so it can't be all that bad. Regardless of what the gov does, universities should use this, instead of relying on preposterous "predicted grades." For university exams, Trinity uses anonymous marking, since they know the bias and havoc created when educators get to know their students.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Shock horror, the students had a chance to cancel doing the LC and they took it. I imagine quite a few will be sorry when they miss their first choice by ten/fifteen points because that dickhead chemistry teacher clearly under-marked them.

Shock horror, the students had a chance to cancel doing the LC and they took it. I imagine quite a few will be sorry when they miss their first choice by ten/fifteen points because that dickhead chemistry teacher clearly under-marked them.
    A lot of people seem to think all these LC students are saints and are all concerned about their health. The fact of the matter is they're after getting their way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

21% are potentially employable. Big, big question marks over the 79%.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

GazzaL wrote: »
    If we were a nation with balls it could have gone ahead. A poor reflection on the country.

of course it could but I think the unions were not going to allow it. Too Dangerious for their members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

onedmc wrote: »
    of course it could but I think the unions were not going to allow it. Too Dangerious for their members.

Probably like the primary school unions who instructed under no circumstances should the teachers send home work as it wasn’t in their job description.

Advertisement