Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert to be cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Yet college students without a computer or access to internet can do their exams with no issue? What's the difference?

The third level institutes were never going to listen to any #canceltheexams BS?

100% attendance for my online exam today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

So, the LC can't go ahead in late July/early August, yet schools/colleges are expected to re-open in August? Where's the logic there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,881 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Watch students and parents kick up a stink when either a) they get low grades or b) they do not get into there chosen course as points went up. That student who did that online petition would be the first I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

onedmc wrote: »
    of course it could but I think the unions were not going to allow it. Too Dangerious for their members.

You know nothing. Teachers were not advised or asked for their views. Any teacher I know wanted the leaving cert to go ahead as it is a fair assessment of the kids and better than pgs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Benimar wrote: »
    The third level institutes were never going to listen to any #canceltheexams BS?

100% attendance for my online exam today.
    The colleges have a pair clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So, the LC can't go ahead in late July/early August, yet schools/colleges are expected to re-open in August? Where's the logic there?

Sure the teachers can't work during their summer holidays,Unions called the shots here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Amirani wrote: »
    They'll have to rank the class and use a bell curve. Will only be able to give a certain amount of each grade, so they will have to give some poor marks.

will a schools historical results be taken into account as well?

a school who has better grades historically, shift their bell curve a bit to the right, and vice versa.

no way this is fair to the students, or the teachers.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Probably like the primary school unions who instructed under no circumstances should the teachers send home work as it wasn’t in their job description.

interesting considering im planning tomorrows work and also untrue.

But why let fact get in the way of teacher bashing and trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

Shock horror, the students had a chance to cancel doing the LC and they took it. I imagine quite a few will be sorry when they miss their first choice by ten/fifteen points because that dickhead chemistry teacher clearly under-marked them.

The vast majority of them are 18, they can make their own decisions on what they do next.

The Government were going to be criticized, no matter what decision they came to.

Sure the teachers can't work during their summer holidays,Unions called the shots here

Did the unions not get a welcome not a big one for the LC's to go ahead. There members would hate having to do predictive marks incase "GREAT student" Joe Bloggs does not get the grades they think they deserve and mammy and daddy will be up in arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You cannot use the mocks as an indication of a grade. So many students had access to the paper before they sat the exam.

So many students vastly improve between the mocks and the actual exams. I know I did. Finally woke up and studied. If this were me today, I'd be devastated. All that hard work wasted.

I expect legal challenges to grades and a thorough investigation of marking schemes by legal eagles so Clive can go study medicine. And of course money to be made here for solicitors.

A teacher cannot be completely objective about grading their own students for the LC, particularly if you have been teaching that student for five or six years. You've built up a relationship with them and their families. How the fcuk would you be objective in that.

Meanwhile some vindictive teachers could use it as a way to get revenge on little Johnny who wouldnt shut the fcuk up for the past two years.

Just open the entire school up, take the primary schools also, gaa halls, community centres, spread the students right out, four or five to a room and provide needed equipment to prevent infection. If they can work in Spar and Tesco they can sit an exam, staggered out over a few weeks.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Amirani wrote: »
    The bell curve will be across the whole Leaving Cert population. Individual schools and teacher be limited on the amount of each grade they can give to fit this. So not each class will be normally distributed itself.

And this is not practical. Some classes will have a very high proportion of A students. So school A with 15 Chemistry Students where all are sitting the higher level paper and all expecting and expected to get H1 or H2.
    School B has 20 sutdents, 8 doing higher level. 3 students expecting H1 or H2, the rest somewhere between H3-H6.

What your suggesting means that school B could realistically give their students their predicted grade but School A has to choose which of its 15 students gets they're allocated 3 H1s and 3 H2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Could rip some small towns apart, where everybody knows each other, when the kids don't get the grades they hoped for and the parents know who is responsible for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why can't they just do interviews for the courses?

Do people think academically weak students are going to be studying medicine in Trinity?

The vast majority of them are 18, they can make their own decisions on what they do next.

The Government were going to be criticized, no matter what decision they came to.

But that is not the point the point is in August when the CAO points come out and Mary and Paul do not get there courses do you think they will go oh well or well they be protests over why did they cancel the LC and that teacher had it in for me. Also how do you appeal the grade they get

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Why are you all complaining?
    79% of 24,000 Leaving Cert students didn't want the exam to go ahead.

Can't wait for the survey showing how they feel when their predicted grades of straight H2s aren't sufficient to get into Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Did the unions not get a welcome not a big one for the LC's to go ahead. There members would hate having to do predictive marks incase "GREAT student" Joe Bloggs does not get the grades they think they deserve and mammy and daddy will be up in arms

Of course they had look like they were backing the the idea of doing it at the end of July.If its unsafe to do the leaving in early August then no way can schools start back in Sept then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

khalessi wrote: »
    interesting considering im planning tomorrows work and also untrue.

But why let fact get in the way of teacher bashing and trolling

Im referring to comms sent to shop stewards the day schools closed. I’m sure nothing was ever written officially but ask around, it happened in my partners school.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think maybe it's not about the safety of the exams but that there is no way to measure if all children got more or less the same opportunity to engage as their peers the way they would if they were in school every day.

regardless, having the exams is still the fairer of the 2 options

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Annabella1

100 % blame the impossible teachers unions
    We can go to a restaurant end of July but not sit in an exam hall ??
    Schools supposed to open 4 weeks later in September
    No problem with back up plan but exams should proceed

• Advertisement

Do people think academically weak students are going to be studying medicine in Trinity?

The thing is some students are great at cramming for the LC and may have actually done great and got into the course be that medicine or what ever but the grades for the mocks or the Christmas exams were bad as they just had not started

Im referring to comms sent to shop stewards the day schools closed. I’m sure nothing was ever written officially but ask around, it happened in my partners school.

DIdnt happen in mine. We are online daily. I teach primary and i am online for kids at 8am until 7pm, work is sent daily, then returned corrected and sent back.
    Also you said unions, there is only one primary school union INTO.
    Not written so it was not official

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Will there be audits of the predictive scores?

We could see mediocre students becoming Mensa candidates overnight.

What happens if a student had intended to sit Ordinary Maths and suddenly becomes a B1 Honours level student?

Even an online "open book" test is superior to this.

If schools cant open in August for exams how are they going to open a few weeks later for the new school year?

It also seems highly unfair on Creche workers who are due to reopen next month and are probably at a much higher risk due to little ones not following social distance rules and the close contact required for babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

khalessi wrote: »
    DIdnt happen in mine. We are online daily. I teach primary and i am online for kids at 8am until 7pm, work is sent daily, the returned corrected and sent back.
    Also you said unions, there is only one primary school union INTO.

Yes, now that’s the case. thankfully so is my partner all be it for a small fraction of that time.

That is what I was told, they did not proceed with it.

My point being that was the rhetoric by some people involved in the INTO at that time. I hope that’s clarified for you. I didn’t mean it to seem like “trolling”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Will there be audits of the predictive scores?

We could see mediocre students becoming Mensa candidates overnight.

What happens if a student had intended to sit Ordinary Maths and suddenly becomes a B1 Honours level student?

We'd see points inflation and the students in schools which scored fairly suffering when college points rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Surprised most here are of the view it should have gone ahead. I always thought it should have gone ahead, no matter what result you came away with, the process of sitting several exams back to back over a couple of weeks stands to you. The experience of getting through it, the stress, the outcome, knowing you can complete something of that stature. It prepares you for college, stresses in later life, work etc.

I also think I heard nothing but Ciara Kelly on newstalk over the last few weeks whipping up hysteria among listeners that the children were so stressed out and being unfairly treated by having to sit exams. I don't remember too many callers wanting it to go ahead, very biased i thought..seems to have worked for her..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think maybe it's not about the safety of the exams but that there is no way to measure if all children got more or less the same opportunity to engage as their peers the way they would if they were in school every day.

Plenty go to school everyday and don't bother to engage when they have the chance.

Yes, now that’s the case. thankfully so is my partner all be it for a small fraction of that time.

That is what I was told, they did not proceed with it.

My point being that was the rhetoric by some people involved in the INTO at that time. I hope that’s clarified for you. I didn’t mean it to seem like “trolling”.

So not official didnt happen because it wouldnt be allowed. Point being just because maybe one shop steward is spouting rubbish doesnt make it official union directive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Don't the Oxbridge Unis in the UK carry out interviews on all applications to confirm that even if they have the required grades, they come from the appropriate *ahem* 'social stratum' to ensure easy assimilation into the Oxbridge student life?

PPE course in Oxford is basically in existence for the mentoring and training of future Tory PMs and ministers. :D

Edit : btw I'm not suggesting in any way our top Irish 3rd level institutions in any way ape the English system of using interviews to weed out the 'undesirable lower classes'.

Advertisement